Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2022 11:40:02 PM EDT
I am looking for a tripod recommendation for elk and antelope. I know photo gear so i know about some tripods. But dont know where to start for hunting. I would lke a ball head with acra mount. I have a really beefy tripod for photo gear with a really right stuff head. But it is all massive and heavy. I dont want to invest in carbon legs and i am willing to take the slight weight penalty to save cash for the aluminum legs. How heavy duty do i need to use with a 6.5 Grendel AR that weighs in less than 8 pounds. Just trying to get a starting point of how big i need to go to make it work. I figure i can always sell my photo tripod and try to cover the cost. What are you guys using that is working well for you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those substantial tripods but use it only for a range toy.  For hunting I carry a Primos Triggerstick tripod.  Much lighter weight, incredibly fast setup (in seconds), perfect for uneven ground, slopes, inclines, rapid adjustments.  I bought the carry pouch for it and just hang it on the side of my packframe.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 6:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#2]
BOG
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
I have one of those substantial tripods but use it only for a range toy.  For hunting I carry a Primos Triggerstick tripod.  Much lighter weight, incredibly fast setup (in seconds), perfect for uneven ground, slopes, inclines, rapid adjustments.  I bought the carry pouch for it and just hang it on the side of my packframe.
View Quote

This.
I hunt in the mountains so I cant carry my Bog, or Kopjager around out there.
My go to has been my Primos Jim Shockley shooting tripod. Super lightweight, easy to manipulate...
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
BOG
View Quote
I also have a BOG holds my Sig 716 w/ thermal and external battery, no problem. which is about 12lb.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
3 straight Aspen saplings bound a few inches from the top with a piece of inner tube.

Just like we used in Africa.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Bog with ballhead and arca “kit”.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad and I have killed 4 elk using bipods/tripods. That isn't much, but here's what I have experienced:

-2010, dad kills an elk at ~350 yards using a Triggerstick *BI*pod.
-2010, I killed an elk at 207 yards using a Harris Bipod
-2020 Dad killed an elk at ~265 yards using a Bog Pod
-2020 I killed an elk (10 second after dad - two cows from same herd) at 387 yards with a Bog Pod.

I love my Harris bipod but you really need a lower model for shooting prone and a taller model (what I used in 2010) for sitting. A good tripod will cover both uses. Don't assume you'll always be able to shoot prone with a bipod - you might be in grass that's too tall.

I hope to have a Bog Pod soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top