Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2024 12:37:13 PM EDT
I decided to swap out my McMillan stock to an AG Composites carbon fiber. This rifle was custom built by LRI and I was willing to try the AG without a bedding job by Chad.

AG told me that I may have to do some sanding to match my barrel profile (Bartlein #4 Bull Sporter) and they were right. I need about .017 - .019 taken down in the barrel channel.

I did call LRI and they are way backed up right now.

Should I attempt to get a wooden dowel and wet sand? What grit to start with? Tips and tricks?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Done it a bunch of times with Manners stocks and use a dowel and some 80-100 grit sand paper and it's done pretty quick. Didn't use wet sanding though.
View Quote

Thanks.

I called AG and they said no need to wet sand. The CF and entire stock is impregnated with resin and there isn’t a need to touch up after either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a blem that had some pin holes and some sanding required. It was easy work and I did an epoxy coat over the repairs. Looks great. It was simple to work on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 7/8” and 1” dowel and 100 grit sandpaper. Took my time and worked up to the 1” wrapped dowel.

However, after getting the action torqued down, the barrel is favoring one side a bit. I’m probably going to want to increase that gap slightly.

IAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to open up the barrel channel on at least two stocks, I just haven't taken the time to look up some videos on the process. Do you have any you'd recommend?

Did you wrap the sandpaper around the dowel and rotate it like a rolling wheel in the barrel channel, or did you move the dowel back and forth in the channel, so that the dowel moved toward the buttpad and the muzzle ends of the barrel channel?

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Use a deep well socket instead of a dowel and pick your size.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Don't need a video. Wrap some sandpaper around a dowel or any rounded piece and then just go back and forth from front to back and it takes out the material you need removed. It's that simple.
View Quote

Yep that’s what I did.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Wear a mask, you don't want that shiz in your lungs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top