Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2024 4:08:50 PM EDT
I am currently using leupold Backcountry ring/base on my hunting Tikka. They are a one peice ring/base design where the rings screw directly to the reciver. Each ring is seperare, they are NOT a one peice ring setup wherethe front and rear ring are joined. Made for 7000 series aluminum they appear strong and are are around 5oz. Similare to the Tally mounts that get good reviews but more "finished" design in my opinion.

I am considering going to a picatinny base and picatinny rings. But ONLY considering a few options due to needing to keep it light weight and ring hight low. Salmon River picatinny base is light at around 1.5oz. I have some Stiener H series rings that are about 3oz.

The Leopold rings mount to the Tikka with 4 screws (two each). The picatinny base from Salmon River mounts with 4 screws and a recoil pin. The picatinny base also has a lot more contact area which leads me to belive the picatinny base would be more solid. But then the picatinny rings tothe base are a additional potential point of falure compaired to the Leupold one pice ring/base.

Basicly I am asking if there is any real world durability pros or cons to eather style? The Leupold set up I have is working well and I hate to "fix what isnt broken". But the picatinny rail would allow a 20 moa base (which i dont really need out to 1000 but would allow a closer to mechanical center at longer range). It would also make it easy IF i want to switch scopes around on the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top