Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2023 9:47:31 PM EDT
When I’m seating bullets into new (unfired) factory-annealed .308 Win Lapua brass cases, for years I’ve noticed that, when seating the bullet (via a RCBS RockChucker single stage press using Redding Competition dies), approximately ~ 1 to 2 out of 20 (i.e. 5-10%) of all cases produce significantly reduced neck tension during the bullet seating process.  The difference is a factor of several fold.  Question: I haven’t isolated and chronographed those low-neck tension rounds.  Should I?  I realize that for the Sierra 175 grain Tipped Matchking bullet fired at 2,620 fps MV, a mere 20 fps MV deviation results in a significant difference in drop at 1,000 yards.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have experienced that as well. I usually set those aside for fouling shots.

It's even more noticeable if you measure seated bullets. I use a Redding instant indicator die.

Ive noticed that most bullets are within 1-2 thou of each other when seated, but those light neck tension rounds tend to be vastly different, up to 6-7 thou deeper than the rest (less resistance).

I definitely sort them out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The minority to which I'm referring (5-10% of these Lapua cases) are super light on neck tension.  I also resize neck only via Redding sizer ball before seating.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I have ran into that on normal bass, annealing the harder to seat brass twice brought them back to close to each other..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top