Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2023 11:17:57 PM EDT
I've always wanted to shoot one of these matches and even bought a cz457 pro varmint SR and scope.

Been sitting for a year+ when luck would have it my local range is hosting a prs22 match next month.

Question is about mags. I've seen people with the +2/+3 extensions. Are those really necessary or just prevents you from reloading midmatch?
I don't expect to win, just have fun but don't want to be handicapped if I can help it.

Buddy 3d printed a couple +2 for me but needs some fine sanding to work perfectly as spring gets hung up if full capacity
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If the match stages have been published, you can check round count. Most stages are 10 rounds, but occasionally 12... So most shooters bring one + capacity mag for the 12rd stage.  NRL22 publishes stages online, not sure about PRS rimfire. However, there are lots of folks with just 10rd mags, as one reload per match doesn't really change things unless you're in the top10.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys
I'll look at the ones with extensions and see what can be done.

Worst case I have several 10rd mags and still have factory plates for the +2s

On parallel note, glad Im a hoarder as they are fairly impossible to find cheap
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I stick with ten rounders. Executing a reload while changing positions on a prop takes no time at all, and certainly doesn’t influence my results at all.

I have seen a lot of these mag extensions be a bit finicky function wise, and some matches will state in the COF description that a reload must be done so that mitigates the extra capacity stuff.

To me, the whole point of a stage requiring more than ten rounds is to force the reload, and add a technique that must be mastered to the stage/ match, so I think any of these stages should require a reload, and not have people looking for an end around
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:59:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By captain127:
To me, the whole point of a stage requiring more than ten rounds is to force the reload, and add a technique that must be mastered to the stage/ match, so I think any of these stages should require a reload, and not have people looking for an end around.
View Quote

Gamers!
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPTmorgan:
If the match stages have been published, you can check round count. Most stages are 10 rounds, but occasionally 12... So most shooters bring one + capacity mag for the 12rd stage.  NRL22 publishes stages online, not sure about PRS rimfire. However, there are lots of folks with just 10rd mags, as one reload per match doesn't really change things unless you're in the top10.
View Quote

I would suggest if you are already in the top ten, you have a pretty good mastery of your rifle and the mag change probably doesn’t make a difference either

I get the point made that if a COF doesn’t specify a mag change that using a higher cap mag is within the rules.

I have always been a fan of the level playing field- meaning I shun equipment races that seem to develop in every shooting sport over time.
While I believe we should all have competence in things like gun manipulations mag changes etc, in something like nrl22 where the match COF is used nationwide, handicapping someone who for example lives in a state where they can’t get mags over 10 rounds isn’t right.

I will stand by my statements that a lot of the added cap extensions I have seen in use seem pretty finicky and reliability isn’t there yet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Went ahead and removed the 3d printed +2 on my mags
Top Top