Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Stop being poor.
View Quote

He doesn't even have that excuse.

I'm a filthy genuine poor and I mow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree 100%. I've turned my of my acreage into natural areas. Fuck mowing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Chida66:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!
View Quote

It's pretty zen.

But yeah, I keep the pasture mowed because otherwise brush will slowly reclaim it
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
When I had my current house built, I envisioned landscaping that required minimal yard work.  I told the landscaper what I wanted and he immediately went into the “but more is better” mode.  I had to push back on several occasions until the lightbulb finally went on.  Now, it takes me 45 minutes and I’m done.  A few cacti, a small patch of grass, and lots of pavers and landscaping rock.

Fuck yard work.  Between taking care of my dad’s house nearby, mine, and the house next door for the landlord, I was spending a minimum of 6-8 hours every weekend on that bullshit, and never felt like I was done.  My dad’s was the worst:  One could spend three hours on it M-F and still not be done.  Finally sold his place and moved him in with us and all I have to worry about now is one yard.  

Never again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

If you do it right, after the initial outlay of time and materials and a couple years, it will actually take no more time than it would to maintain a lawn. I have only 2/3 of an acre, but it would take a lot longer to mow that than just an hour with my little mower, and zero chance i'm gonna spend a grand or two on a riding mower.

The berries and trees are permaculture, as are most of the flowers and many of the other plants too like rosemary bushes and such. Onions and shallots once established come up year after year in many places, if you let one pumpkin die naturally in the garden you'll have pumpkins next year. Let a couple lettuce plants bolt and you'll have a huge crop of lettuce the next year as they are very prolific seed-makers.

Place I had a dozen years ago wound up looking like the hanging gardens of Babylon. Cool thing that happens is stuff like tomato plants and bean plants and whatnot popping up in places where you didn't even plant them from wind and birds and such spreading seed naturally, we called them "volunteers". We grew far more food than we could can or eat, was giving away fresh food and eggs to our neighbors from a place where we had less space to garden than we do now.

And don't even get me started on how much tastier home-grown produce is than that grocery store shit that's picked green.
View Quote

We have a garden as well. But as a native Kansan, I can confidently tell you, you don't understand the effort it takes some places if you haven't lived there. The vines will pull down a chain link fence, let alone smothering plants. It is a constant battle of pulling weeds. It is a lot harder than the prairie, where you can just give water to the things you want.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:
When I had my current house built, I envisioned landscaping that required minimal yard work.  I told the landscaper what I wanted and he immediately went into the “but more is better” mode.  I had to push back on several occasions until the lightbulb finally went on.  Now, it takes me 45 minutes and I’m done.  A few cacti, a small patch of grass, and lots of pavers and landscaping rock.

Fuck yard work.  Between taking care of my dad’s house nearby, mine, and the house next door for the landlord, I was spending a minimum of 6-8 hours every weekend on that bullshit, and never felt like I was done.  My dad’s was the worst:  One could spend three hours on it M-F and still not be done.  Finally sold his place and moved him in with us and all I have to worry about now is one yard.  

Never again.
View Quote

Wait until weeds and grass grow up in those pavers and landscape rock areas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ramcharger_pilot:
I don't mow the back part.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262615/20240426_165700_jpg-3200275.JPG
View Quote

Lots of large deciduous trees.  Cooling shade all over.  Green grass that is cut.

Good job.

That is the type area I see driving around the Michigan area that is so pleasing to see.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
After reading 6 pages of pros and cons, I still don’t get it.
How am I supposed to prove I’m a better man than the other dudes in my neighborhood.
Prettier wife.. check.
Nicer car.. done.

What’s left?  A superior lawn.

Actual photo of me gazing upon my neighbor’s inferior turf..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OscarD:
I’d introduce that mess to a 12 gauge loaded with fuck you.
View Quote

Why?  Are those poisonous snakes?   If not, they are a benefit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SAINTDANIEL:
I have nothing but time and money, i will keep my grass,i have acres of woods too.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4z9KZHd/20230427-153959.jpg
View Quote

You should host little league on that
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't keep grass around your house, brush and trees will grow instead.

They will still try to grow through the grass, but the grass chokes them out, and regular mowing whacks them down.

This is why we mow. Something is going to grow around your house, it might as well be something that you can control.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
A mowed lawn is like a shaved "taco."  It's pretty, easier to maintain, and it makes both Mrs Rabinowitz and me happy.

Mowing the taco is great cardio vascular exercise and brings a person closer to God's creation.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Well in the desert we have rocks and fake grass. So I wouldnt know
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Got bored so we mowed about 35 miles of US/Mexico border.  

But seriously there’s all sorts of good looking grass and wild species you can do that remain manageable and good looking with little management
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I love mowing, of course I'm not a lazy fat fuck so it's not a big deal to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

Speckled Kingsnake?

I live in their range but have never seen one in the wild.
View Quote
Buttermilk racer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sub_Arctic_Son:
If you don't keep grass around your house, brush and trees will grow instead.

They will still try to grow through the grass, but the grass chokes them out, and regular mowing whacks them down.

This is why we mow. Something is going to grow around your house, it might as well be something that you can control.
View Quote

I guess the question is whether there is some alternative. Some forest areas grow a field of low ferns. Others turn into brambles.

I'd put a patio, or gravel, or something, around my house for 20 feet to keep away rodents. Beyond that I'd love to have less work without the growth becoming weeds or an impassable mess
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#19]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
That is what the big field is for. Gotta have somewhere to shake down the rally cars

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/rallypark_JPG-3200337.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Originally Posted By P400:
Maybe try using your lawn for something fun? I mostly mow grassy go kart trails.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61196/LE1502023_jpg-3200159.JPG
That is what the big field is for. Gotta have somewhere to shake down the rally cars

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/rallypark_JPG-3200337.JPG

Nice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]
How else are you going to find your yard dildos?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:06:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#21]
Originally Posted By Chisum:
I find it very therapeutic.  For two hours I'm not answering calls, not sitting through useless, non-productive meetings, not solving problems for people who want me to do their research, and no nagging from the wife because her Honey-do list isn't getting checked off fast enough, etc. For two hours a week, I have my life to myself. I actually look forward to mowing. Sorry, complete your own therapy.
View Quote

This is how it is for me too.  It’s meditative, empty your mind and just mow the next line.  Almost….,not as good as, some alone time on the range with gun…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

I don't like snakes, but those don't look venomous and are probably good autonomous rodent control.
View Quote

I treat all danger noodles and nope ropes as venomous.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OscarD:
I’d introduce that mess to a 12 gauge loaded with fuck you.

No idea, I’m not Steve Irwin. I leave the snakes and spiders I can ID alone. I don’t know what those are so they would need to be deleted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Half my yard is a power easement so I can't plant much past grass and low bushes. The other half us wooded.

Everything I do, including cutting grass, is to avoid ticks. I hate them.

I also am currently using herbicides because fuck poison and English ivy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
Until the 1940s, most lawns were dirt, especially in the Southern US. Prior to that, people pulled up or poisoned the grass and weeds around their homes or dug it up. Over several years of that, almost nothing would grow, at which point you'd have a perfectly good dirt yard. In a couple years, the topsoil would be worn away or tracked off, and you'd have a hard ground devoid of weeds. They did that for 10-20 yards from their houses. Women used to sweep the yard with a broom. That kept the insects away from their homes, and therefore diseases born by them.

That's the traditional way that lawns were kept. It wasn't until the invention of the lawnmower, and a decade after to be honest, that grass lawns became acceptable, which was around the 1940s. Rich neighborhoods had grass sometimes in the 1920s or 30s.

It was a luxury to have a grass yard and the equipment to care for it. In the 1950s, as the postwar economy boomed, and people were building home out on the county roads, the suburbs and such, they wanted to have their lawns look like the wealthy folks, so they had grass planted in their yards. That's when having a grass, manicured lawn became the thing to have.

Back in the day, none of the houses in my town had grass yards. They were dirt, with beautiful flowers and plants planted where the owners wanted them. The lawns were dirt. I have pics of my mom's house when she was a teen in the early 50s, no grass, but flowers and small trees. Her mother and father were mill workers, not wealthy.

My father, who's father was wealthy, a businessman, had a very large home, which serves as the funeral home in town now, had a grass yard, with flowers and trees, and the grounds were large for a house in town. But, they also had a crew that cut the grass, trimmed the trees, and cared for the flowers or planted new ones when needed. Two completely different income levels and stations in life, but that's the way it was in the south at that time.

Everybody having lawns didn't become a thing until the mid 50s or thereabouts.
View Quote

Yeah, I’ll take laying on a reasonably maintained lawn and watching the clouds lazily drift by vs laying on some dusty hardpack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
They're eastern garter snakes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Make your husband mow it OP
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#29]
The fact that we have the time to waste debating the merits (or lack thereof) of lawn care is a pretty clear sign of how good life is.  Our ancestors worried about food and security after working beyond sunup to sundown, and had the burden and grief of burying often multiple children who didnt survive to adulthood.  We cry about having to mow lawns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I live in AZ and do not miss mowing

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By millfire517:
I mow mine to help keep the rodents at bay
View Quote

Came to mention this.  Also there are ways to promote wildlife without allowing your yard to become a jungle.  Nothing wrong keeping a few areas grown up for longer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I hate lawn care but at least here in the Pacific Northwest, I find rock gardens to be tedious to maintain also.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Without a decent grass cutting your crib will look like shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:

https://cyclonerock.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Blog-2-2019.jpg
View Quote
The goods.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:

https://cyclonerock.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Blog-2-2019.jpg
View Quote

Doesn’t look very inviting or somewhere to just hang out in comfort and relax.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#36]
The "back yard" is moss covered, despite several attempts to seed grass.

The only place we have grass thriving is the vegetable garden.

Go figger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#37]

And give themselves cancer and gawd-knows-what in the process, I sat for 3 years and watched my neighbors who were in their 70's do that shit to themselves. They'd go out there 3 times a year and hose the whole fuckin place down with Roundup, then a couple days later they're both in the hospital literally fighting for their life. It happened every. single. time. they used that shit. After two years of it I finally mentioned it to 'em but they steadfastly refused to believe it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pinetree77:
Agreed OP

Boomers are the worst. Those stupid fucks walk around their yard with spray bottles of Round Up blasting everything in sight and poisoning the ecosystem

And give themselves cancer and gawd-knows-what in the process, I sat for 3 years and watched my neighbors who were in their 70's do that shit to themselves. They'd go out there 3 times a year and hose the whole fuckin place down with Roundup, then a couple days later they're both in the hospital literally fighting for their life. It happened every. single. time. they used that shit. After two years of it I finally mentioned it to 'em but they steadfastly refused to believe it.
This is Arfcom, not DU. Here is some moral support:
EarthFirst Mourning Loss of a Tree - Crying & Screaming

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in the Sandhills and my soil is pretty much just sand. My front yard is pinestraw
except for a strip about 10 ft next to the street. The back yard was about the same,
but we let grass grow in and fill it. There is just a rim of pinestraw there now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Neighbors kid will be a multimillionaire by the time he's 20 with his mowing business. Already has 2 ZTR's, buying a neighbors pick up and has a trailer for all the lawn mowing shit. He doesn't turn 16 until October.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Dogs like a well cared for lawn

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/IMG_3232_jpeg-3200504.JPG
View Quote

Come on, all you really need are some rocks, cacti and a pitbull chained to an old engine block. Anything else is a waste of resources.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#42]
One nice thing about mowing with mulching/Gator blades is that the cuttings build up the topsoil.  You can actually see it after a few years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
I hate lawn care but at least here in the Pacific Northwest, I find rock gardens to be tedious to maintain also.
View Quote

I have a dry streambed and spend more time working on the damn thing than anything else.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I absolutely detest mowing. 2-3 hours a week is time away from my family. Paying someone $50 a week is chump change and well worth it.

In before someone says I’m lazy. I get up at 5:30 almost every morning to workout.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/IMG_3232_jpeg-3200504.JPG
View Quote

My dogs will leave the nice inner yard and run around the gravel eating all the equine poop they can find.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Come on, all you really need are some rocks, cacti and a pitbull chained to an old engine block. Anything else is a waste of resources.
View Quote
You forgot a couple of wooden Coke crates to sit in the shade.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
My wife is literally outside mowing our lawn as I type this.  
View Quote

Are you barefoot in the kitchen making her a sandwich and putting her beer in the freezer?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#48]
You can trust Hank Hill, I tell you what.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#49]
We actually have these stores in the valley.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Liberty_Tree:
I absolutely detest mowing. 2-3 hours a week is time away from my family. Paying someone $50 a week is chump change and well worth it.

In before someone says I’m lazy. I get up at 5:30 almost every morning to workout.
View Quote

@Liberty_Tree
Working to earn money, creating a job, and buying your time back while still getting the lawn done like a decent human being is called winning. Not lazy. Choice of how to spend time while taking care of business is byproduct of hard work.

Lazy is letting it become a native prairie.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top