Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
View Quote

Keeping an open, mowed, lawn between the home and the natural habitat for disease vectors is done to expose those destructive critters to their natural predators.

The result is fewer disease carrying and destructive pests available to enter the home.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:38:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
You forgot a couple of wooden Coke crates to sit in the shade.
View Quote
I don't want people's dogs or self-appointed neighborhood hall monitors/judges in my yard.

Sidewinders would be welcome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You could always move to New Mexico where lawns are just loose gravel... maybe do something with turquois.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

And a clear field of fire...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
-Fire risk is the big one
-Rodents
-Insect infestations
-Fucking stickers and sandburrs

It is a lot harder to maintain a house if it's surrounded by 3 feet of grass and weeds. Ever heard of chiggers? Ticks?

And a clear field of fire...

not necessarily in that order.  

adding, makes it easier for the possums to find and eat the ticks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SAINTDANIEL:
I have nothing but time and money, i will keep my grass,i have acres of woods too.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4z9KZHd/20230427-153959.jpg
View Quote

Looks like corduroy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wood714:

I do too... until it's a 100 fucking degrees outside, and I have to get up before daylight to start mowing at 0700.
View Quote

I just mow after sundown.  

f the neighbors.  well, the douchebag retired lawyer "went to the Obama fundraiser dinner last night" demonrat anyway.  you know the one, his wife accused us of not controlling our dogs after a coyote killed her cat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have nothing but time and money, i will keep my grass,i have acres of woods too.

View Quote

Beautiful
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I mow mine because I need the exercise and I enjoy it (with a push mower). I started this year before any of my neighbors. Hell, some days I go outside, walk around and do some weed eating whether it needs it or not just because I enjoy being outside.

Most of my neighbors pay someone to mow their yards. but I can understand that, especially for the older ones. The woman next door to me was mowing her yard up until a few years ago and she is about my mother's age.  My dad is almost 84 and still enjoys mowing his yard, but I don't think he'd do it if he did not have a riding mower.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Snakes and ticks.

I've spent over $7k the last 6 years trying to get grass to grow in my yard and I've ultimately just said fuck it.

So I cut the weeds every 2 weeks go keep the snakes and ticks at bay for the kids and dog.
View Quote

find different seed that works for you.  and hire a local outfit to do the three times a year weed n feed etc.  I set the mower as high as wife can tolerate it, usually about 4.5" it cuts way down on watering in the heat of the summer.  sunlight never gets to the soil to heat it up.  we've got like four different sun/climate/moisture areas on the lawn, totally different seed likes to grow in each.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

It doesn’t seem to keep the wolf spiders away.  
View Quote

you want wolf spiders.  super territorial, they fight and kill brown recluse and black widows.  wolf spider bites are like mosquito bites, not dangerous just annoying.  I want to see wolf spiders because that means in that same area there are probably no brown recluse.  been bit once, and one of our dogs was bit once.  took me a couple months to heal up, the dog damn near died.  lost all the skin on his belly.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By racer765:

you want wolf spiders.  super territorial, they fight and kill brown recluse and black widows.  wolf spider bites are like mosquito bites, not dangerous just annoying.  I want to see wolf spiders because that means in that same area there are probably no brown recluse.  been bit once, and one of our dogs was bit once.  took me a couple months to heal up, the dog damn near died.  lost all the skin on his belly.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By racer765:
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

It doesn't seem to keep the wolf spiders away.  

Yep, wolf spiders and spider bros (jumping spiders) are a sign of a healthy yard.

I have a spider bro on my windshield just about every morning in the summer, and I have to convince him to jump onto something so he doesn't ride to work with me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Here you have to do it due to city ordinances about grass height. You dont mow, the city sends their own people out to do it for you at a quite large fee.

There was a guy in the 90's who dug all his yard up and replaced it with blacktop painted green. Dont remember if he was forced to remove the blacktop or the new owners took it out and out grass back in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Our yard is roughly 250x700ft. About 2.25ac.

House is on the first half acre, maybe 100ft from the road. Front and 200ft of the sides get weed and feed a couple times a year. About 200ft from the back of the house is a marshy area, and then a slight rise to the east makes up an orchard and meadow.

First two years we lived here I let everything east of the marsh except the orchard area go into wildflowers. As others mentioned, though, saplings started overrunning the meadow .

This year going forward I'll let the area go to blooming clover then mow all of it, repeating throughout the growing season. There are about a dozen hardwood saplings in the meadow area. I'll let these get 50ft or so then harvest one a year for firewood. We like our fires.

On the recommendation of board members I bought a used Deere 445 with a bunch of implements. Deck is 54" and I have mulching blades on it. Takes me about 3h to do a complete mow including tractor prep and post-mow cleanup. I work from home so I time mowing activities to coincide with lulls in the action.

We've never watered or fertilized the back and I need to stay after it in the growing months as the yard needs no help.

Agree with others regarding vermin. We still get a few mice in the barn and the house during winter and I can imagine what the population would be like if I let things become overgrown.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Because I like to, just like Hank Hill.

I throw on my earpro listen to podcasts and or heavy metal.  I’ve got 2 acres to mow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Helps keeps rats and mice and snakes away from the house and an open field of fire for unwanted company
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
literally skull-fucked with pollen
View Quote

Amazon Product
  • EASY ON AND OFF: Quick latch design offers an easy, one hand touch drop down mechanism for putting the facepiece on and off while moving in and out of contaminated areas
  • COMFORTABLE: Adjustable head harness assembly promotes a comfortable fit with three size adjustable head cradle; Long lasting polyester/spandex straps
  • COOL COMFORT: Proprietary 3M Cool Flow Valve is designed for easy exhalation to help keep the wearer more comfortable

I use this when mowing.  might go up to the full faceshield version, eyes sometimes feel like they have sand in them after mowing when it hasn't rained for a while.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Chida66:

Like a champ now.  Bit the bullet last August and had the engine rebuilt from the bottom up.  Heads were lifting off the block under heavy loads.  So while it was out for better head studs (final fix for that 6.0) I had the shop do the whole thing.  Got O-ring heads from Kill Devil Diesel.  All cheaper than buying new.
@stringburner
View Quote

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering..
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
OP hasn’t dealt with rats or scorpions apparently
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

That's beautiful.

Nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no problem playing pacman with an adult beverage. My Traxxas Xmaxx likes it at  3 1/2 -4"
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!
View Quote

@chida66

That's a beautiful tractor

Mowing lawns was how I paid for college and a lot of toys growing up.

I want to get something like yours but since I'm a JDM junkie it'll be a Kubota
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Only a matter of time before posts like this.  Fer cryin' out loud get a life!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I thoroughly enjoy the act of mowing my lawn but I hate how stupid and pointless it is. If I can rewild my yard I will, but I have to deal with ordinances
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s hot AF here in the summertime, so when I have to mow the lawn I prefer like 8am on Saturdays
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

@chida66

That's a beautiful tractor

Mowing lawns was how I paid for college and a lot of toys growing up.

I want to get something like yours but since I'm a JDM junkie it'll be a Kubota
View Quote

We have two Kubota mowers.  A ZT and a belly mower.  Both are diesel.  When selling our 6610 Ford (no cab and only 75hp) we considered Kubota.  My uncle in Alabama was a dealer and he said they were tinting the windows so the AC’s could keep up.  The JD AC was better.  This was in 2005 though.  Service is better around us for the JD which is really the way to make a choice.  Out of the big three, who has the best service in your area.
@fadedsun
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#27]

alot nicer looking view along my driveway than ho-hum boring lawn.

Much more relaxing than sitting on a mower mowing your boring lawn, a quiet walk early on a summer morning looking at all the beauty that nature is.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
View Quote

Sorry about your luck. After I got this I look for reasons to cut my grass. Cutting twice a week now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#29]

We have two Kubota mowers.  A ZT and a belly mower.  Both are diesel.  When selling our 6610 Ford (no cab and only 75hp) we considered Kubota.  My uncle in Alabama was a dealer and he said they were tinting the windows so the AC’s could keep up.  The JD AC was better.  This was in 2005 though.  Service is better around us for the JD which is really the way to make a choice.  Out of the big three, who has the best service in your area.
@fadedsun
View Quote

I struggle to imagine having a property so big you need AC in a tractor.

When I'm in your position I'll get it though

My wife and I are trying to buy 160 acres this year. Plan is to make about 15 for the house and farming and the remainder trails and places to hunt and let be.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Because it kills insects that fly and bite and provide a large barrier between you and all those biting insects.

I constantly expand my mowing area.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
The "back yard" is moss covered, despite several attempts to seed grass.

The only place we have grass thriving is the vegetable garden.

Go figger.
View Quote

Nature is a cruel mistress.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, if you don't like mowing, you must hate farming....

BTW there is more forest than there was 100 years ago

https://www.treehugger.com/more-trees-than-there-were-years-ago-its-true-4864115

Many many states also have less farmed acreage than 100 years ago, including Michigan, and it hasn't all been developed.  

https://stacker.com/business-economy/how-farming-has-changed-every-state-last-100-years

Your kvetching about lawns is just that. There is plenty of space for wildlife and bees, etc. You just really don't want to cut the grass.
View Quote

Patch burning on a multi-year burn plan > mowing mismanaged pasture.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I don’t like mowing but having a local yard of scrub and weeds looks shitty and is shitty.  You’ll have more bugs and pests all trying to find ways into your home.  Ticks.  Fleas.  And on and on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I cut and spray a lot of grass

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't enjoy mowing the lawn, I don't want a jungle either, so I begrudgingly knock down the grass/weeds/dandelions every couple of weeks.

I am currently in the planning stages of developing my backyard to minimize my mowing in the future.  Large patio, etc..
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
https://i.postimg.cc/7YdFNT6W/20220708-124103.jpg

alot nicer looking view along my driveway than ho-hum boring lawn.

Much more relaxing than sitting on a mower mowing your boring lawn, a quiet walk early on a summer morning looking at all the beauty that nature is.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRKTqK9b/20220708-124654.jpg

View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Its a conspiracy by the lawn-industrial complex.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Mom wants the OP to do at least that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I enjoy push mowing but it takes a couple of hours for my yards.

Been thinking of picking up that new Scag SFC 21.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Sleepym4:
Only liberals have overgrown lawns. Police your lawn
View Quote

Potheads! Don't forget the potheads!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MadcapMagician:
Its a conspiracy by the lawn-industrial complex.
View Quote
Big Grass?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got little kids that like to play in my yard. I keep it short for them and i mow down by the creek to keep the snakes at bay. It's an hour maybe and i enjoy it. Also my lawn tractor is useful for other stuff, like moving my boat and utility trailer around the yard so i don't have to drive my truck on the grass. I don't put a lot of work into weeding and fertilizing but i keep it nice and short for the kids and my wife. My pollinators are doing just fine thank you with my apple trees and raised beds, plus the jasmine and honeysuckle in the trees. Need to get my wife's bat box up so they can eat my mosquitoes in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#43]
There are a lot of benefits.  Keeps pests away, especially ticks and snakes.  Gives you room to do things.  It looks better.  

Plus it's not just grass that grows. Trees and brush grow too and if you let them get tall it gets hard to deal with.  They can take over a house pretty quick and destroy it.

It's kind of insane to think it was only invented to show supremacy.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CharlesUFina:
Very surprised by all the lawn hate.
View Quote

Oh no, I don't hate your manicured lawn. If you want to mow grass, then mow grass. If you want to suck dicks then suck dicks. You do you. Just don't ask Me to suck dicks because You like sucking dick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Personally I think lawn alternatives like clover or moss make more sense. They don’t require as much maintenance , and they won’t be tall enough to harbor pests either.

Some neighbors around me stopped giving a f about their lawns, seen one that looked like it wasn’t mowed for a month. In an HOA neighborhood. I didn’t mind it, just found it amusing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Do you want small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia?

Because that is how you get small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Do you want small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia?

Because that is how you get small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia.

Originally Posted By millfire517:
I mow mine to help keep the rodents at bay

This.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
OP, if you don't like mowing, you must hate farming....

BTW there is more forest than there was 100 years ago

https://www.treehugger.com/more-trees-than-there-were-years-ago-its-true-4864115

Many many states also have less farmed acreage than 100 years ago, including Michigan, and it hasn't all been developed.  

https://stacker.com/business-economy/how-farming-has-changed-every-state-last-100-years

Your kvetching about lawns is just that. There is plenty of space for wildlife and bees, etc. You just really don't want to cut the grass.

Certainly true if you have acres upon acres of pasture.  A half acre of grass in neighborhood being burned MIGHT raise eyebrows.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Keeps rodents and snakes away, lol.  No it doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#49]
No grass is fine. But just letting it grow is not wild. You would actually want local native species and to try to organize them in some way that doesn't look like ass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#50]
OP is not about looks. He's about function over form. I'm with OP but would modify that to allow mowing a perimeter around house to cut back on tick habitat, especially now that climate change is encouraging spread of various insects that act as disease vectors.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top