Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm facing something similar. I just got a notice the other day that my rent is going up $300 in July, and I'm already barely staying afloat. Technically I'm not even doing that because I have to prioritize which bills I pay on time every month.

I don't enjoy being alive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210513_083724-2148308.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210513_083646-2148306.jpgI pay less than $600 for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath pool view with balcony, furnished condo less then 2 blocks, 8 minutes walk to the beach.
I also just pay $40 a month electricity and $20 water. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210513_084400-2148324.jpg
View Quote

Cool, now calculate how much you lose in time and energy determining whether or not she was a biological her?

Them MEU boys didn't call that place The Gauntlet for nada, amigo.

But hey, nice pad.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The US is going to choke under the load of a handful of illegal immigrants visitors who land outside of CA-AZ-NM-TX.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

I bet they still need eelektrcitee in OH.
View Quote

indubitably.

but it's still OH and who wood move to OH voluntarily?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

$588 a month puts you around $80k.

That gets me a 5,600 sq ft lot with a nice view outside a nothing town, 0.5 acres of dirt on the highway west of town, or a 1971 trailer in a park on rented land.

Something close to your example with a "no value" trailer is $389k, 30 minutes from town.
View Quote

If I wanted to live way out in coal country past Roanoke somewhere, I could find something better than a run down trailer for 300-400k.  The problem is the lack of work for me.  

I'm already in the sticks as it is... 20 miles to a grocery store.  At least I dropped my monthly to 1100/mo vs the 1900 it would've been.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
Didn't start saving until too late, didn't get while the gettin' was good. Live alone. Found a fairly nice place three years ago for $650. Lease is up at the end of next month.

Sometime last year began a noticeable influx of what the left likes to call "migrants", which is growing by the month. They seem to mostly have Florida id's. I know this because they like to leave all their personal shit lying around the laundry room, which has become a defacto social hall and is usually filled with four or five adults and about a dozen very young children at any time of the day or night. I don't know what language they're speaking, but they either don't understand English or pretend not to if you try to talk to them.

There was never an issue with any type of crime here that I know of, but that's changing too. We had so many car break-ins and domestics in the past six months that the cops now like to sit at the entrance to the parking lot at night and run speed, just to keep an eye on things.

We have three dumpsters for the building, which are constantly full past capacity, to the point that bags of trash just pile up around them like a fucking landfill spilling food, alcohol, dirty diapers, etc. everywhere.

The pool, which was the best part of living here, became overrun with so many kids from dawn until dusk that it became impossible to enjoy. They filled it in a few months back and now we have a nice big dirt courtyard instead. Oh, and on my lease renewal application I found out they're increasing the rent another $75/month, up from the $35 bump the last two years.

So now I have 30 days to find a new place. I go online and filter under $800, which is about my price point, and there's basically nothing. I don't know how these people are even getting approved or affording to live here, since none of them seem to have cars or go to work.

I know, go be poor somewhere else. I just had to vent.

TLDR: Today is my one day off, it's 85 degrees, and instead of sitting out by the pool enjoying a drink with civilized people I'm sitting inside looking for a new place to live, listening to my new neighbors jabber in whatever Godforsaken language they speak while gaggles of feral kids screech outside and the entire building reeks of what I can only assume is the same long pig stew they cook from morning until night every day.
View Quote

You work 6 days a week and can only afford 800.00 a month rent?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1776:
I'm facing something similar. I just got a notice the other day that my rent is going up $300 in July, and I'm already barely staying afloat. Technically I'm not even doing that because I have to prioritize which bills I pay on time every month.

I don't enjoy being alive.
View Quote
couple months ago when you mentioned moving to WY to work for the railroad i thought you were onto something.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

If I wanted to live way out in coal country past Roanoke somewhere, I could find something better than a run down trailer for 300-400k.  The problem is the lack of work for me.  

I'm already in the sticks as it is... 20 miles to a grocery store.  At least I dropped my monthly to 1100/mo vs the 1900 it would've been.
View Quote

Might as well find some roommates and stay in Blacksburg at that point

We looked at moving back to Charlottesville, wages are half what they are here and housing is 80% or so. Gotta have that old money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Or western Colorado.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

The $588/mo includes 5.17 acres, a vintage 1976 mobile-home with methbilly built outbuildings, 10 neighbors in the subdivision, $360 a year subdivision road and well maintenance fees, and a 3 mile drive to town. But we butt up against 120 wooded acres of a Century farm on one edge and 80 acres of working corn and soybean fields on another.

It's not a country estate or hobby farm environment. But that isn't an obstacle to turning our part into one.

The kicker is the same circumstances probably exist within 30-50 miles of every whiner in this thread.
never been to montucky, eh big shoots?

Or western Colorado.

We are close enough to the city to go to Cardinals games on the regular if we wanted. Same with access to specialty hospitals, the major universities, and a selection of shopping, dining, and the little cultural enclaves that have "neat" benefits like unusual foods or crafts.

We are far enough that we aren't required to pay exorbitant prices for slummy, shithole, fixer-upper, entry level housing.

We have cable or fiber internet if you want, and our smart phones work out here too. That's true for the $1500 iPhones and the $50 Walmart androids both.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Might as well find some roommates and stay in Blacksburg at that point

We looked at moving back to Charlottesville, wages are half what they are here and housing is 80% or so. Gotta have that old money.
View Quote

lol, I work in the Fredericksburg/Quantico area office-wise so my commute went from 20 minutes to over 2 hours when I moved in August, but the cost of living sucks up there.  Moving further west won't happen because it'd bump me to 4-5 hours one way.  That's an overnight.  Fortunately I do WFH most of the time so I can manage this but I need to buy a house at some point... looking at Caroline county right now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
but why move to OH?

at least move somewhere enjoyable for a few years.

then once saddled with crippling debt, a job you hate, and kids then move to the rust belt.
View Quote

Fair
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Wife and I should consider OH after I graduate. All those places would likely be 300-400k in AZ.
View Quote
Unfortunately Fremont is about an hour from here. I've looked at a couple places in town over the past few months in the low $100k range that looked good, but they were already contingent by the time I could even make a phone call let alone get a disclosure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you were 55 you could snag a troublewide in a park down here. You and a room mate could split the mortgage and the around $1K a month lot fee and party down. Lot fee usually includes lawn care, water and sewer. Most are fully furnished down to the doilies on the chairs. Club house with pool and BINGO Thurs night. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1904-Birkdale-Ln-Ocala-FL-34472/2104078022_zpid/?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
If you can bump your budget up to $1500 a month, you can get a pretty nice house in that area of Ohio.  

View Quote
$1500 would cripple me. I'd barely be breaking even after the bills were paid, and my savings aren't exactly appreciating. I really wish I'd have made better choices when I was younger, but today is today and I have to deal with it. At $800 I can still live, work, and save some money, so that's where I'm hoping to land.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonny762] [#15]
Originally Posted By WTF54:

You work 6 days a week and can only afford 800.00 a month rent?
View Quote
Afford as in that's a price point I'd be able to live comfortably and be able to save some money, yes. I could pay $1500/mo and barely scrape by, but that's not really how I want to live.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone needs to do a class action suit against illegal aliens and their sponsors.  They are illegal and impacting the sanctity of life for too many people.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't start saving until too late, didn't get while the gettin' was good. Live alone. Found a fairly nice place three years ago for $650. Lease is up at the end of next month.

View Quote

You found a place to live for $650 a month? That's, that is incredible.

My 2nd youngest is back at home with us for a while (great kid (6' 315lb food destroying machine, the pantry would fair better if 10,000 25,000 locusts descended at once), he really is fantastic company), has an entry level alphabet-agency job that simply doesn't pay enough to afford anything (A 1980's dogshit 800 sq ft apt is $1,850, no utilities included).

He'll either have to leave the area, or find a couple of roommates. That, or I buy a small chunk of unimproved land that he can 'homestead' on (an actual serious consideration).

May the Force be with you, hope you find something that meets your needs

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Fairly nice / 650 a month...what lol
View Quote

Oh shutup
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Precious87:

He'll either have to leave the area, or find a couple of roommates. That, or I buy a small chunk of unimproved land that he can 'homestead' on (an actual serious consideration).

View Quote
i gotchu fam:

Stealth Step Van TOUR - FedEx Truck Converted into Tiny Home

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]
i gotchu fam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZzqBh9LOTs

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Precious87:

i gotchu fam:

This is the way, feller.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#21]

$588 a month puts you around $80k.

That gets me a 5,600 sq ft lot with a nice view outside a nothing town, 0.5 acres of dirt on the highway west of town, or a 1971 trailer in a park on rented land.

Something close to your example with a "no value" trailer is $389k, 30 minutes from town. An hour from town with a 1997 trailer and a small "shop" is $580k... for a trailer.
View Quote

$588 a month was reasonable 20+ years ago when the wife was making $17.50/hr. I would take part time or temp.work for $10/hr when needed.

We both make double that now and parcels like what we want are available for a range of $1,000-1400 a month in Wyoming, Colorado, Minnesota, Western panhandle Florida, and for a little more in Montana with reasonable access to Yellowstone from Bozeman or Billings.  

We found places that could be made livable for less money and more sweat invested, but we are old enough now not to be in a 25-35 year old mindset about starting from scratch.  Even so there are used mobile homes that aren't burned out wrecks that could be stripped to the frame and rebuilt as a small cabin with any level of quality you want. Put that on a place with water, sewer, and electric and expand your skillset. Takes a bit of work though.

These are places with water, electric, sewer or septic. Many already have liveable houses or mobile homes. All have potential with 20 years of sweat invested to be awesome.

Expand your search radius. Re-examine what "decent" or "nice" means. I wouldn't want to start from scratch right now either, but that's after 30 years of starting from scratch a few times in places that weren't always as nice as my mom and dads house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn.  Looking at those prices, they're more than my mortgage for a house on 4.5 ac.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Bruh, I read your post. I liked it. But this comment sent shivers down to my bootyhole.
View Quote

Take a close look at the legend.  

Speer ate out the top 0.01% and the top 0.1%.  

They have risen and concentrated way out of proportion.  

The top 1% everyone bitches about, is more the same rise, just with more assets.  It’s proportional.

As is the top quintile as a whole.

The next three quintiles- 60% of the population, is not rising any better, and at times worse, than the lowest quintile.

We are pouring resources into parasitic bottom feeders at the expense of the productive population.

The top 0.1 to 0.01 percent or so- the political, financial, social, legal elite

Are essential raping the next 0.9%. The next 9%-
Making the next 40% or so bleak
To get rich and buy off the bottom 40% or so, -
To stay in power.

The game should have been up decades ago-
But we have leveraged cheap overseas labor, illegally  imported bottom end labor, legally imported higher end labor-
Defecit spend twice our income tax revenue each year,
And bluff the rest of the world into pretending our dollar is worth a dollar and not just printed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]

This is the way, feller.
View Quote
for what useless got dayum millenials pay for two years of rent on their shithole apartments they could own their very own tiny home on wheels and p** in a filthy walmaht bathroom and shower at work at their $200k/yr job obtained via fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirm handshake.

you can't take the sky from me.gif
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#25]
i gotchu fam:

View Quote

I seriously considered a motorhome towing my LC behind but I quickly found that there aren't many year-round plots for one to rent, just seasonal.  Trying to get electric and water hookups at Walmart isn't a thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#26]

I seriously considered a motorhome towing my LC behind but I quickly found that there aren't many year-round plots for one to rent, just seasonal.  Trying to get electric and water hookups at Walmart isn't a thing.
View Quote
you could find someone (e.g. member of the landed gentry) to rent you an RV spot.

i've thought long and hard about this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

Take a close look at the legend.  

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/F772EED1-422F-4F4C-8EA0-B57BD8D68CAB.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/F772EED1-422F-4F4C-8EA0-B57BD8D68CAB.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Speer ate out the top 0.01% and the top 0.1%.  

They have risen and concentrated way out of proportion.  

The top 1% everyone bitches about, is more the same rise, just with more assets.  It’s proportional.

As is the top quintile as a whole.

The next three quintiles- 60% of the population, is not rising any better, and at times worse, than the lowest quintile.

We are pouring resources into parasitic bottom feeders at the expense of the productive population.

The top 0.1 to 0.01 percent or so- the political, financial, social, legal elite

Are essential raping the next 0.9%. The next 9%-
Making the next 40% or so bleak
To get rich and buy off the bottom 40% or so, -
To stay in power.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/84497F1D-806B-4B3C-A396-A7B3D94EA085.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/84497F1D-806B-4B3C-A396-A7B3D94EA085.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The game should have been up decades ago-
But we have leveraged cheap overseas labor, illegally  imported bottom end labor, legally imported higher end labor-
Defecit spend twice our income tax revenue each year,
And bluff the rest of the world into pretending our dollar is worth a dollar and not just printed.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
It blows my mind that $825 is considered cheap for rent now. Mind you, when I moved in three years ago this was one of the higher end places in town at $650 (advertised as "luxury apartment homes"). I didn't think I'd have any issue finding another place under $800, but times they are a-changin' I guess.
View Quote

Good Luck in your search. If I may offer another perspective. I pay 2080 a month for a 1 bedroom, thats just Rent/Water/Trash; does not include electricity, internet, wireless phone, insurance..

Keep your head up! You will find something. Is a roommate out of the question? When I moved out here in 2009 (near DC), my DC living coworkers were stacked up 5 to 8 to a town home that was renting for 5k a month (in 2009).
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]

And you just have to live as an expat!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210513_083724-2148308.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210513_083646-2148306.jpgI pay less than $600 for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath pool view with balcony, furnished condo less then 2 blocks, 8 minutes walk to the beach.
I also just pay $40 a month electricity and $20 water. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210513_084400-2148324.jpg

And you just have to live as an expat!

Well they say America is an idea 😵‍💫
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Unless he's got stud-level credit, he's going to be ass raped w/ PMI. And he has to live in the place for at least 12 months before renting it out, if done with a conventional loan. VHA would be worse I think especially with reliance on state law and lender regs.
View Quote

Bro. He lives in a complex. This is his chance to get his own place that can be a future 100% money maker, while living affordably and becoming a landlord. He can rent out the other side day one, what?

Also PMI on $200k would be about $70/mo tops. WTF???
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]
i gotchu fam:

View Quote

An option, but we'd likely build something un-permanent.

I'm in the home building industry and have a few connections for materials, and can frame / roof / plumb / wire / side / paint / install cabs & flooring myself (though most of my contractors would show up to help for free, if I told them what I was doing, what it was for).

The more I think about it, and the fact that all the kids, save one, are nearby, the amount we pay monthly... I just might pickup 20 acres to hedge against, issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#32]
North, about 45 min south of Toledo.
View Quote

Wood and Hancock Co’s are pricey.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
My mortgage is cheaper than nearly every apartment around us. Granted we bought the house for $259k and a 2.2% mortgage rate.

Rentals are all $1600 and up for multi bedroom apartments and rental homes. We pay $1100 mortgage and an extra $500 in principal each month.
We thought about selling and renting for a bit to find something further out away from city limits. But with northerners and people from out west moving in with money to burn from sale prices where they are from, it's hard to find anything that people aren't paying way above asking for.

Having a house built is crazy now also. It's up close to or above $300 per sq ft now.

Couldn't imagine apartment living now with no telling what kind of 3rd world shithole neighbor you would get.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Only an idiot rents a place to live.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
View Quote
renters lol.

imagine being that poor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, that's why I made the tough decision to sell my home in GA and lose out on the perfect mortgage rate....

Lots of plates from FL and CA, where they literally ran down the neighborhood....drug selling, unkept lawns, trash all over, slumlords renting to them and 4 families living on top of each other...they even were bulling the other Hispanic neighbors, who not only were friends of ours, but never did the things they did.

**sigh***
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Damn Ohio is cheap.

Here is a low-mid level apartment in Portland, OR
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/apartments_JPG-3200472.JPG
View Quote

Yea but who would live in Poltland?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#38]
you can thank the US.Gov for all these issues with Immigrants driving up housing.

they cater to them and get the paperwork started before they ever leave the other country.

death from within
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#39]
agreed, $150k is too much.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
You can find them in my area for 150ish it's too much but what's a man going to do.
agreed, $150k is too much.

there's always used...........
Epic and Honest Mobile Home Commercial

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#40]
I may retire in Ohio
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By callgood:

there's always used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RLqLx1iYI
View Quote
about 10 years ago i looked at buying a used trailer in a trailer pahk in montucky.

trailer was only $40k (old beat up singlewide, no carport, no shed, no porch/patio) but the lot rent was $800/mo.

that was a lot of money back then for lot rent so i noped the fuck outta there.

now i play this when i work in the trailer park:

Paul Thorn: Burn Down The Trailer Park

@eagarminuteman
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Living in an expensive area has its advantages.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
renters lol.

imagine being that poor.
View Quote

I would buy a used POS trailer and live in a Trailer Park before I paid some dipshit $1500 for fucking rent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I would buy a used POS trailer and live in a Trailer Park before I paid some dipshit $1500 for fucking rent.
View Quote

You do realize that in a trailer park you’d be renting the dirt it sits on right?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#45]
It's just your negative attitude bucko.

Pull yourself up by your boot starps.

Those are the New Americans you're talking about.

It's just little property crime and weed smell.

Its parts and Parcells.

Somebody has to pay into social security since all the gyat dayum zoomahs have the W2 mindset.

Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Join the service, learn to weld / code. It’s a SHIT SAMMICH….
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#47]
OP: consider toughing it out for a couple of more years where you are.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

So you would pay $700 a month in rent for the lot?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Never thought of myself as an idiot, but I'll consider that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Last year I checked local (Colorado Springs) apartment rent prices and it was terrible.  I don't know what they were pre-COVID hoax but they are bad now.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top