Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
The singles soundtrack is still amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0gnwtSEGI
View Quote

RIP.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take 90's grunge over almost gay effeminate dudes dressed as woman with female hair styles, singing with high pitched voices any day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Grunge came about because people were sick of 80's hair band shit. There I said it.
View Quote

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Guns N' Roses - November Rain
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
the power ballad all those pretty hairhats were chasing, but could never achieve.

Still Loving You (2015 - Remaster)
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I hated butt rock when butt rock was around! Love em or hate em Nirvana was a breath of fresh air in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
the power ballad all those pretty hairhats were chasing, but could never achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJrYN-_BXws
View Quote

Scorpions - Always Somewhere (Old Grey Whistle Test, 22th May 1979)

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Dave Krusen was the drummer for PJ’s first album and also the drummer for Candlebox .
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
Do you guys remember a band called Candlebox?

Their first album was fantastic, pretty bluesy... I think they turned into pumpkins shortly after.
View Quote

I saw them a few years ago in Dallas. It was a great show. Still have the CD somewhere from when it came out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy that Tool, NIN, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Alice and Chains, Smashing Pumkins came out of it.

I'd put Tool and NIN, as 2 of my top 5 favorite bands.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stickfigure:
I'm happy that Tool, NIN, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Alice and Chains, Smashing Pumkins came out of it.

View Quote

remember when a friend of mine turned me onto these guys.. we laughed our asses off.

even if you weren't in love with all the music anyone has to admit it was a fertile time for new bands and sounds coming onto the stage... great time to be a music loving yute!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw Faith No More at the Troc in Philly on the Epic tour they had this unknown band open up for them.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Bunnysriflestock:
Saw Faith No More at the Troc in Philly on the Epic tour they had this unknown band open up for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xosEFe8Ik
View Quote

One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By psychotr:

And yet somehow rap can have legs  for 40 years.

View Quote

Rap now is not the rap of 40 uears ago.
Rock and roll has been around for over 60 years
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, glam rock sucked.

But grunge?

Dirty, whiny hippies, with bad body odor, sucked way more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Good trade.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:55:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:

View Quote

There is no modern rock. What little there is are legacy bands whose members are on their last legs
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

There is no modern rock. What little there is are legacy bands whose members are on their last legs
View Quote

God bless Clutch.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:24:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#18]

View Quote

I'm reminded of this Every time the local "rock station" plays AC/DC Highway to Hell. A song that Debuted in 1979 45 years ago.

Imagine its 1979 and your listening to stuff from 1934...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Grunge came about because people were sick of 80's hair band shit. There I said it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE

This album is a great example of the best of what your point seems to be… At it’s best, Use your Illusion is fantastic.

At it’s worst, it’s overproduced b-sides that should never have made it. Use your Illusion should have been edited to one spectacular disc. Another example of the 80s excess that lead to the 90s pushback.

Let’s face it, this is art, and not only does everyone have an opinion on it, but art has movements and counter movements. The 80s wine, women and drugs arena music lead to stripped-down college music (REM, I’m looking at you), and that lead to the five guys in ripped jeans on an oriental rug playing their asses off counter movement.

And as such if some have the opinion that the 80s had better music than the 90s, that’s your take on it. It’s all good, nobody’s wrong here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:

God bless Clutch.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxa9xqe4UNA
View All Quotes

God bless Clutch.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxa9xqe4UNA

This disc may be my summer jam album.

“We strive for excellence!!!”
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Van Halen was still releasing albums as late as 1992 with Sammy Hagar.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scratch45:

There are still rock bands.  But you’ll never hear them on the radio.  Rock is far from mainstream anymore sadly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
People were ready for a change smack. That’s just how it goes.

This. The hard drug of choice went from cocaine to heroin and the music reflected that.  Nothing deeper than this is needed to explain it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GI-45:

Rap changed just as much. Rap today sounds very different than rap in 1984.

View Quote

Nah, Megan Thee Stallion and Sugarhill Gang are the same.

You're right, "Rap" as a category is as wide as "Rock" ever was.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I’ve never really thought of Smashing Pumpkins as grunge.

I guess I’d call them alternative. I love their alternative answer to the ‘hair ballad’.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not entirely against grunge, but what a crappy trade they made.

We lost this - crisp music and clear lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuOAnsuZBY

For this guy who sang like he had a mouthful of marbles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8y3kneqrs

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZX4O-Efao

To wit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Yankees_

By 1994, there had been a changing of the guard at Warners. Jack Blades explained:

The new regime came in, and they didn't want to do anything with that style of music. And in fact, they paid Damn Yankees a million dollars not to do another Damn Yankees record. We're like, 'Really? OK, we'll just take the check. Why not?' That was how it was because Damn Yankees had sold so many records and we were so recouped, so in our contract the next thing was like 'We get a million bucks to do an album,' and they just paid us the million dollars NOT to do the record. That's how much nobody wanted anything to do with that era and style of music.

So after that, Nugent revived his solo career, leaving Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades to record their own album as the duo Shaw Blades. Released in March 1995, Hallucination received very little support from its label as the personnel change brought in industry executives more sympathetic to alternative and grunge bands.
Ultimately, the Shaw Blades album came out to some critical praise, but it vanished without major single support or a national tour (which had been cancelled by Warner Bros.). "I'll Always Be With You" did garner some AOR airplay and the title track was heard in the hit movie Tommy Boy, but after a brief West Coast tour, both Shaw and Blades went back to their respective original bands, Styx and Night Ranger.

All that time we were trying to figure out what Eddie Vedder was saying (or trying to find a rock station) and we could have been listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBm8zfphfic

At least this made it to air before the world went ga-ga for grunge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6f68Wd9dc

View Quote
The 80s metal scene gave you Winger. I rest my case.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#27]
...my bad (thinking MatchBox 20).
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By macman37:

This album is a great example of the best of what your point seems to be… At it’s best, Use your Illusion is fantastic.

At it’s worst, it’s overproduced b-sides that should never have made it. Use your Illusion should have been edited to one spectacular disc. Another example of the 80s excess that lead to the 90s pushback..
View Quote

Please do keep in mind that I am not above using sarcasm in my posts.

I happen to think that use your illusion, both albums, represent the pinnacle of the 80s rock movement, even though they technically did not happen in the 80s. But you also make a fair point. In posting that, the tongue in cheek point I was trying to make, was about the ostentatious and excessive nature of literally everything. G’n’R was insanely talented yet equally insanely over the top in everything they did and I absolutely understand why the world got sick of it. November Rain was sort of the magnum opus, to me, of talent hopelessly entwined in ostentatiousness.

I’m not half as mad at grunge as I make out to be.

I just hate that some very good, very talented bands got lost in the shuffle, literally. And that’s sort of the point of this thread. We didn’t need another KISS imitation hair band. Fair enough. That was done to death after 15+ years. But we lost or at least missed some talent in the process.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Sean124:
Appetite For Destruction was the beginning of the end for glam rock.
View Quote

I'd agree with that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Van Halen was still releasing albums as late as 1992 with Sammy Hagar.
View Quote

Which was 32 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I listened to and enjoyed both back in the day.

But I'm not in High School anymore.

Neither genre has withstood the test of time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#32]

I guess I’d call them alternative. I love their alternative answer to the ‘hair ballad’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOG3eus4ZSo
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOG3eus4ZSo

Grunge isn't real. Putting Alice in chains with pearl jam never made sense.

It's just 90s rock. Some was harder than others. Smashing pumpkins was more hard rock than their hits generally give them credit for.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Please do keep in mind that I am not above using sarcasm in my posts.

I happen to think that use your illusion, both albums, represent the pinnacle of the 80s rock movement, even though they technically did not happen in the 80s. But you also make a fair point. In posting that, the tongue in cheek point I was trying to make, was about the ostentatious and excessive nature of literally everything. G’n’R was insanely talented yet equally insanely over the top in everything they did and I absolutely understand why the world got sick of it. November Rain was sort of the magnum opus, to me, of talent hopelessly entwined in ostentatiousness.

I’m not half as mad at grunge as I make out to be.

I just hate that some very good, very talented bands got lost in the shuffle, literally. And that’s sort of the point of this thread. We didn’t need another KISS imitation hair band. Fair enough. That was done to death after 15+ years. But we lost or at least missed some talent in the process.

View Quote

This is the evil of corporate music.  In order to shape the music landscape to their financial benefit, they ignore talent for profit.  They intentionally limit the range of music distributed so they can control consumer taste, in order to dump high paid existing performers in exchange for lower paid new performers.  The country music industry has battled against it's stars for decades.  They push inferior styles to evolve a genre and push popular performers to adopt that style, when it isn't what consumers want or what they're good at.  Then when sales flag, they point to that failure as a good reason to dump an established artist.  There's room for old and new, and if the new is really good, it will prevail.  However, stifling competition to achieve market and profit goals at the expense of existing contracted artists, has been a halmark of the music industry.

Modern music distribution has wrecked the industry, in a sense, but it has allowed wider access to artists non supported by big labels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I hate stagnation in music

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
I hate stagnation in music

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#36]
People were ready for a change. That’s just how it goes.
View Quote

Honestly, I don't think it was. Grunge died out after 2000. Rock/metal was around a lot longer than 8-10 years like gunge and has made a resurgence. I was around 16 or so when that grunge fad rolled out and had been playing guitar in thrash and death metal bands for a few years at that point. I remember the skaters and alt rock/ indie fans jumped on the  grunge bandwagon. Very few metal heads in my area listened or cared for grunge. I didn't give grunge a listen till about 20 years ago, LOL.
I don't hate some of it.  I like Alice in chains and some Nirvanna and Stone Temple Pilots, but the rest doesn't intrest me. Basically it became a fad and the non music people and fringe groups listened to it trying to be cool and "hip". Like all fads it didn't last too long.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I have fond memories of Pretty Hate Machine . The first time I ever heard them a sexy blond turned me on to them . I got laid that night . She would definitely give the Ministry girl I ran into some time later a run for her money.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

Grunge isn't real. Putting Alice in chains with pearl jam never made sense.

It's just 90s rock. Some was harder than others. Smashing pumpkins was more hard rock than their hits generally give them credit for.
View Quote
Well said. I think the term grunge had more to do with a style of dress, and the disaffected attitude of Gen-Xers coming of age than it did the music.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I was just thinking about the societal impact of grunge on the male psyche. We traded aggressive sexuality for brooding and celebrated the loner. This, coupled with the rise of rap fed what would become of the modern male and female. Pop tried to desperately hang on, producing the likes of Brittany Spears, who played the role of a meth addicted cheerleader too well. But, that’s what they had to sell. It continues today with Miley Cyrus, etc. Even when bands put a harder spin on their music, they’re still whining (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, blah, blah). Imagine that putrid self-loathing shit pumped between your ears and being told it’s good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Pearl Jam sucks, but hair bands had to go. That shit was corny as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Sir_Sparhawk:
I'll take 90's grunge over almost gay effeminate dudes dressed as woman with female hair styles, singing with high pitched voices any day.
View Quote

They may have dressed odd, but they sang about fucking their brains out, living on the edge, and some still managed to pay homage to America.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
I was just thinking about the societal impact of grunge on the male psyche. We traded aggressive sexuality for brooding and celebrated the loner. This, coupled with the rise of rap fed what would become of the modern male and female. Pop tried to desperately hang on, producing the likes of Brittany Spears, who played the role of a meth addicted cheerleader too well. But, that’s what they had to sell. It continues today with Miley Cyrus, etc. Even when bands put a harder spin on their music, they’re still whining (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, blah, blah). Imagine that putrid self-loathing shit pumped between your ears and being told it’s good.
View Quote

Now that you mention it/put it that way, school shootings really took off in the wake of grunge music, too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Now that you mention it/put it that way, school shootings really took off in the wake of grunge music, too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Noticed that too?  We went from celebrating sex and partying to “my life sucks, you suck, everything sucks”.  Negative vibes man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I guess I would just call this the natural progression of popular music. Yeah, glam/hair generally went away and grunge became more popular but what else happened?
Traditional metal stuck around, thrash got bigger, death metal was still around and progressed, 2nd wave black metal happened. All this set the stage for today:
Thousands of new traditional, death, black, etc bands are doing whatever the fuck they want because they're not beholden to big record companies and aren't even trying to get on the radio. And you, the consumer, can buy a digital album for less than $10, a CD for right around $10 or a vinyl for $20.
I'm speaking mostly about metal but rock is in a similar position.

That "trade" ended up being generally irrelevant. It's a great time to be a music fan, as long as you don't listen to the radio.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Huh. Never knew Damn Yankees was paid for not recording another album.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thawntex] [#46]
I was just thinking about the societal impact of grunge on the male psyche. We traded aggressive sexuality for brooding and celebrated the loner. This, coupled with the rise of rap fed what would become of the modern male and female. Pop tried to desperately hang on, producing the likes of Brittany Spears, who played the role of a meth addicted cheerleader too well. But, that's what they had to sell. It continues today with Miley Cyrus, etc. Even when bands put a harder spin on their music, they're still whining (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, blah, blah). Imagine that putrid self-loathing shit pumped between your ears and being told it's good.
View Quote
The aggressive sexuality of the 80s was not healthy for the male psyche in my opinion, especially when it came to kids in their formative years.

I still scratch my head at my parents getting cable and allowing me to watch hours of lewd videos in my preadolescence. It pretty well fucked my brain up for life.

As far as the brooding goes, let's not forget the plethora of 80s cuck power ballads that ran like an endless lament over losing your lover and wallowing in loneliness and despair.

I liked a lot of 80s music as a kid, and I still think some of it is great. I also think that there were some very unhealthy messages and images mixed in there that the world could've done without.

I'm thankful that the music landscape is what it is today. My kids can be more selective in what they listen to, and some of what they're into is really good. They're not plopped down in front of the television taking in everything their mass media overlords throw at them, witnessing hours of absolute garbage just to see something of quality here and there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
I don't think one record label can change the direction of music.
View Quote
It wasn't just one company or not really. I was in highschool at the time in a suburb of LA and was good friends with the son of an executive at WEA. That's Warner Electra Atlantic. She was constantly bringing home internal use cassettes and sample CD's. He had the original Ice T Cop Killler cassette along with a lot of other stuff. Very little of it was grunge but that just might be that she didn't work in that division.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
I listened to and enjoyed both back in the day.

But I'm not in High School anymore.

Neither genre has withstood the test of time.
View Quote

You're right. There are no "classic rock" stations anywhere anymore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By tep0583:
Huh. Never knew Damn Yankees was paid for not recording another album.
View Quote

It was a crapload of money, too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
The aggressive sexuality of the 80s was not healthy for the male psyche in my opinion, especially when it came to kids in their formative years.

I still scratch my head at my parents getting cable and allowing me to watch hours of lewd videos in my preadolescence. It pretty well fucked my brain up for life.
View Quote

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I still enjoy a lot of the music from that era but there's a lot of it I won't or don't listen to because it's so hyper-sexualized. I don't think that's healthy.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top