Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Was recovering from surgery and water heater went out. 50 gallon unit from Lowes was $900 OTD w/Military discount.

Their "pro" installer wanted $2300 JUST to install it!!!!!  $3200 all in. He was upset when I laughed at him and showed him the door. Plumber off Craigslist did it same day for $350.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sadly any business has to charge those rates to make a profit. Pay tech 30 dollars an hour plus insurance/retirement package and shop and office overhead.
People who would make good tech's are not getting into the trades anymore so you have more fake it till you make it types taking over.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#3]
Weird dupe post
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TriggerM:
Yep. So last year I got my 608 Epa certification.  Pretty simple to do. Now I can buy my own r22.
View Quote

good luck with that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you can add Golf Cart repair and termite tenting to the list of overpriced rip offs.

I was quoted $1250 to have my water heater installed by a local plumbing company.
And I supplied the unit and new flex hook ups.   EZ installation in the
garage on a 36” platform.

My plumbing buddy did it for $250 in under 75 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It ain't just HVAC guys.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If I wasn't getting up in years, I'd consider getting back into the trade just doing repairs but lifting things isn't something I can do very well anymore (tandem spinal stenosis).

Our Geothermal Heat Pump is 31 years old and still going strong but has developed a slow refrigerant leak. It's not really worth tracking it down and welding it as old as the compressor is. I can buy a brand-new modern replacement for $4k. Only problem is going to be getting the old one out and lifting the new one on to the pedestal. Other than the whole lifting thing I can change it out in an hour or two.

For standard air-cooled AC and refrigeration systems, 15 years in harsh environments seems to be when blower motors, run caps, relays and control boards start to have problems but as long as the compressor is not making terrible noises, it's almost always better to fix than replace. Hell back in the day I would change out dead compressors in units that were 30+ years old because you could just keep replacing parts as long as the coils were okay. I can't see replacing an entire system every 15 years even today unless something has drastically changed like planned obsolescence of (digital control) parts that can't be replaced because they aren't made any longer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Wait until you find out about the absolute cock sucking fuck HVAC supply shops that won't sell to you because fuck you
View Quote

It is an exclusive club that monopolizes the products. There are a few companies that will sell to the public, but you aren't getting a Rheem or Carrier, etc.

I got my 608 Universal Cert just so I can get refrigerant on line for my own hvac service. I have the recovery tanks, recovery pump, vacuum pump, and a few dozen other service tools to fix my own. Nitrogen tank plus everything to braze copper line sets.

The last company that came out last year to replace a burned up compressor (5 years old) charged a couple grand and they were pushing hard for a complete outside unit. Said if it didn't work I'd likely have to get a new system because of the state regulations of seer ratings. Fuck you, It's a racket, for sure.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Its unfortunate.   I guess there are very few independent honest tradesmen.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess we got a good company when we got our new system a few years ago. I pay $16/ month for a lifetime warranty. They come out twice a year and service everything, clean the cooling coils and air handler in the attic, clean the coils in the condenser outside, and just check the whole system. So far, I had to have a capacitor replaced, the fan motor on the condenser unit replaced, and the blower motor replaced. $0 cost to me, parts and labor covered.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
What the hell was wrong with it OP?
View Quote

Both companies diagnosed the issue as the blower motor and/or the ECM for said motor. Both quoted a seperate charge for those parts as well as a seperate installation fee for each of those two parts.

Both quoted an outrageous estimate to replace those two parts ($3300 and $4800) and both tried to push me to buy a new system since mine was "already 14 years old".

I was born at night, but not last night. I sent them away, took the blower housing out. Took the motor out of the housing. Looked up the part numbers. After finding out the motor and ECM are only sold as an assembly and find said assembly that I was actually able to buy (not being "in the business") and ordering it for a grand total of $325 with tax and shipping. Within an hour of it arriving, I had it installed and the thing running very well.

The End.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
My brother in law house is 3 years old his ac was fixed the first year. They had to re solder something.

It recently broke in same area guys come out replace the part under warranty but bent him over on the refrigerant told him needed 10-11 pounds of r410 to recharge and that’s not under warranty well 4k later it was fixed. Yeh like 380 something per pound they charged him.

Told him they don’t come out for free he said yup they’ll make their money up somehow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I generally agree with the tone of all this being said here, and think that it applies to a vast swath of industries, but please do keep in mind that if you spend $3000 repairing a 15 year old air-conditioning unit, you still have a 15 year old air-conditioning unit. If you are thinking about selling your house, sometimes you are money ahead to just replace the whole thing. That is certainly more attractive to a potential buyer.

I have very seriously toyed with the idea of getting a part-time service technician job for a year or so, then starting my own company. I think there is genuinely a niche out there for people willing to do honest work at reasonable rates.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Supply houses not selling to the public must be something new. I started doing AC/Electrical/Refrigeration back in the 80s. Not once ever at any supply shop have, I ever been asked for my license number or business license for anything "except" refrigerant when the Feds started clamping down on it because of the Ozone layer bullshit (yes it really is bullshit). I had a Commiefornia contractor's license (long since expired) and since I don't do that work anymore, I don't have a Florida license, but I've had no issues buying parts and supplies here. I buy refrigerant off of Evil Bay and probably pay a few bucks more for it but it's not like I'm going through a crap ton of it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait until you find out about the absolute cock sucking fuck HVAC supply shops that won't sell to you because fuck you
View Quote

Here is to you trane... fuckin scumbags..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like boomers getting what they asked for.  Why you crying OP?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Biggus_Dickus:
At least most of them, in my recent experience.

Own a duplex. A double with family living in both halves. Since we've lived here, I've had the HVAC systems replaced on both sides. The oldest one is 14 years. That one quit running.

Since I've been baby sitting my grandson and taking care of my 90 year old mother who broke her hip a couple months ago, I don't have a lot of spare time, so I call the HVAC company we bought from and had install it.

Guy comes out, does a few checks and then comes to me. Tells me it's either the blower motor or the ECM and he would replace both for 3300 dollars, but he thought I should just buy a new one (from him of course). Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Call a different, larger area company. Long story shortened somewhat, exact same story, except 4800 bucks and "it's 14 years old. You should just buy a new one (from us of course).
Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Both made it sound like 14 years was ancient. When questioned on this, the second guy claimed they needed replaced every 10 to 15 years.

So I take the thing apart, get the part numbers from the motor and controllers. Order the parts on line and when they arrived, installed them and it starts right up and runs perfect.

For less than 2 hours work and about $325, I fixed it myself.

As mentioned, I have a lot taking up my time, and was willing to pay a reasonable amount to fix my furnace. Had either offered to do it for $1200-$1500, I likely would have had them do it just for convenience. Instead, they went passed that robbery amount (I did mention I fixed it for $335 and less than 2 hours work, right?) and went straight to rape.

If you can, fix it yourself. If not, find a trustworthy handyman. The HVAC service companies have no interest in fixing your equipment and will try to sell you new, cause that's where the big payday is.

View Quote

This exact thing happened to me. Guy came out and said our furnace was shot. Claimed it was unsafe and was surprised we aren't dead yet from the carbon monoxide. Can replace the heat exchanger, blower motor, and (something else) for $5800 or...
Quoted $7.2k for a new furnace.  Can install it tomorrow. You can pay after you sell your house.

Had another guy come out, no problems. Even with our 18-year old furnace, was running fine. First guy made up bogus readings of CO by sticking his probe into the combustion chamber. Took CO readings at the registers and got nothing, but blew that off anyway.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Both companies diagnosed the issue as the blower motor and/or the ECM for said motor. Both quoted a seperate charge for those parts as well as a seperate installation fee for each of those two parts.

Both quoted an outrageous estimate to replace those two parts ($3300 and $4800) and both tried to push me to buy a new system since mine was "already 14 years old".

I was born at night, but not last night. I sent them away, took the blower housing out. Took the motor out of the housing. Looked up the part numbers. After finding out the motor and ECM are only sold as an assembly and find said assembly that I was actually able to buy (not being "in the business") and ordering it for a grand total of $325 with tax and shipping. Within an hour of it arriving, I had it installed and the thing running very well.

The End.
View Quote

My blower fan wasn’t working. Fxntime helped me diagnose it as the board. Ordered it off Amazon for $125 and it has been working for years now. I’m a little handy but not really.  I think the pricing and economy is going to push a lot of people to learn to fix things themselves.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#19]
the home service companies are getting bought out by private equities firms.  

Expect more of these scammy business practices.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#20]

I was willing to pay a reasonable amount for their skilled labor. Padding the estimate to drive it up to outrageous amounts (3300-4800) to try to convince me to buy a new system is in no way reasonable. I fixed it in >2hours for $325. Fuck them for trying to fuck me and for all those ignorant suckers they've fucked in the past.
View Quote
The two hours included the time troubleshooting, finding the part and ordering it or did you let him troubleshoot it for you then repaired off his diagnosis? It including the time driving to your place twice? (Once to find the problem, once with parts in hand to repair) Buying the tools needed to do the work? You included that in your price too right? Yeah they are split out over many jobs but you still need to include that as each new van needs stocked. Did you include business insurance costs? What about a day worth of business van payment? You're going to need to charge enough to cover the $115,000 it costs to have a tooled up new van every 6 years or so. The time the guy needs to go through mandatory training that he needs paid for regardless of him bringing in money, did you factor that in your $325? I know my employer has to pay $112.79 per hour (my part I bring home is $45.36/hr of that expense) I'm employed to cover the primary costs to have me on the job. If I was driving a van that would mean travel time too and more money charged to cover the van costs. You can only assume 6 hrs a day billable for most service work so multiply that cost per hour by 125%. They answered the phone when you called right? Was it the technician who answered? If not there's another $35/hr in expense, but don't forget the typical two weeks paid vacation that needs covered. After all this you can start looking at how much extra to charge for profit to pay the owner, the salesmen, etc. and if you're not paying them well enough the good ones will move on.

TL;DR go be a poor somewhere else, you will never understand how expensive a skilled trade service business is to operate.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
View Quote

Aaahh, the angry, entitled ones who hate the older generation have showed up I see. I'm surprised it took until the second page. LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#22]

The End.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
What the hell was wrong with it OP?

The End.

You'll probably have other issues with it in the future, but one of the benefits of the older units is they're not terribly complicated.  
On a furnace, for example, there's a controller board that will generally have an LED on it that blinks when it has an error.  The pattern of the blinking explains what it thinks the problem is, and there should be a legend on the cover.  It's not always right, and sometimes it's only complaining about a symptom and not the root cause, but it's still very helpful.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to be in the business. It made me sick to my stomach sometimes. It got to where I'd save known good parts from old units on new installs. Things like capacitors, contactors, condenser fan motors etc. I'd keep em stashed away in my truck and claim they were for me if anyone asked.

Without fail, every week during the summer I'd get a call to go to some little old ladies house for something like that. A lot of em you could tell were destitute and gonna have a hard time even paying the $69 service call fee.

On jobs like that, whenever possible, I'd work my charitable magic. I didn't feel right charging one of the greatest generation $285 for a $8 capacitor on top of a $69 dollar show up fee. I'd give them a used cap or whatever it may be as long as I had it with me. I'd still have to charge the service fee, but then just tell the office it was just a loose wire or something to justify my time.

Also can't tell you how many pounds of recovered R-22 I pumped for free into old timers busted units to keep them from dying in the South Georgia heat and humidity. It was running around $260 a lb at the time, God knows what it is now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Yeah, that buns me up.

Local supply warehouse wouldn't sell me a furnace HSI (hot surface ignitor) because I wasn't "licensed." Said they'd be liable if the furnace blew up. Got one the next day off Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ARs4EVER:

good luck with that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARs4EVER:
Yep. So last year I got my 608 Epa certification.  Pretty simple to do. Now I can buy my own r22.

good luck with that.

I still do, not 22 but anything else I need from a wholesaler up to and including entire systems. It's insane how cheap a full system is if you don't have to replace duct work, and that's mostly due to time invested.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#26]
At least most of them, in my recent experience.

Own a duplex. A double with family living in both halves. Since we've lived here, I've had the HVAC systems replaced on both sides. The oldest one is 14 years. That one quit running.

Since I've been baby sitting my grandson and taking care of my 90 year old mother who broke her hip a couple months ago, I don't have a lot of spare time, so I call the HVAC company we bought from and had install it.

Guy comes out, does a few checks and then comes to me. Tells me it's either the blower motor or the ECM and he would replace both for 3300 dollars, but he thought I should just buy a new one (from him of course). Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Call a different, larger area company. Long story shortened somewhat, exact same story, except 4800 bucks and "it's 14 years old. You should just buy a new one (from us of course).
Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Both made it sound like 14 years was ancient. When questioned on this, the second guy claimed they needed replaced every 10 to 15 years.

So I take the thing apart, get the part numbers from the motor and controllers. Order the parts on line and when they arrived, installed them and it starts right up and runs perfect.

For less than 2 hours work and about $325, I fixed it myself.

As mentioned, I have a lot taking up my time, and was willing to pay a reasonable amount to fix my furnace. Had either offered to do it for $1200-$1500, I likely would have had them do it just for convenience. Instead, they went passed that robbery amount (I did mention I fixed it for $335 and less than 2 hours work, right?) and went straight to rape.

If you can, fix it yourself. If not, find a trustworthy handyman. The HVAC service companies have no interest in fixing your equipment and will try to sell you new, cause that's where the big payday is.

View Quote

100 bucks per lb of r410a.  Eat.  Shit.

Take the stupid test, get the EPA license, and DIY.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sharkman74:
the home service companies are getting bought out by private equities firms.  

Expect more of these scammy business practices.
View Quote

The business practices that made people hate hospitals and MBAs are being applied to everything from plumbing to pornography.

Brave new world, indeed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:
Had the company that services our oil fired heating system to replace a couple busted zone valves. I had looked at parts online and they were right around $100 a piece. They replace this shit, hand me a bill, charges $300 fucking dollars EACH. 300% markup? Fuck you
View Quote

Your math sucks and inflates your outrage.  A 100% markup would be $200.  $300 is only 200% markup.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
That happened to me when I had my HVAC replaced.  

The first company I called, who is a very well regarded local company, been in business forever, see their trucks all over town (I work in medium and heavy duty trucks and we actually do most of the servicing and repairs on their fleet), kind of the "go-to" in this area for heating and air, sent a guy out in an SUV.  He showed up in a polo shirt and slacks.  I took a day off from work to meet this guy at the house, he spent all of about 15-20 minutes looking at the thermostat, the inside unit and the condenser outside, didn't even turn the thing on to see what it was doing, scribbled some notes, and told me he'd email an estimate.  

He bounced and later that afternoon I had an estimate for about $12K for my 2000 sq/ft house just for the inside and outside units and the electronics.  It was one page long, no notes about what the system was or wasn't doing, just "replacement recommended due to age," a list of parts and labor, and a total.  I can't help but feel that this was a "fuck you" quote, just something the guy threw together so he wouldn't get fussed at by his boss for ignoring me.  

I talked to a few friends and they recommended another company for me, and I called them.  They sent out two installers/repairers/HVAC dudes in a service van, and they spent two or three hours looking at things.  Put gauges on the unit, ran it, went into the crawlspace to inspect the ducts, took pictures and measurements of the spaces where the inside unit was, measured a few rooms, I felt like it was a very detailed inspection.  

About a day later, one of the guys who did the initial inspection came to me at work and delivered an itemized estimate in a folder, the first page was an evaluation/diagnosis of what I had going on, they gave me repair and replacement options, explained why this or that needed to be done, it was about a five or six page report and I ultimately had them do the work.  Full system, ducts, registers, electronics, ten year warranty, $8500.

I'm a trades dude, or I used to be at least, so I know how this works.  I hate it because I know cars and trucks and such, but I don't know very much about home repairs and improvements so I'm at the mercy of guys who do (or don't).  I at least know when something doesn't sound right and when to get a second opinion, but at lot of these guys are cashing big ass checks and taking people to the cleaners who don't know any better, and it really sucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

I had a "top" roofing company quote me 8000 to redeck and roof a 12x16 fucking shed.  "Salesman" showed up in a dress polo and slacks.  Measured the building and sat down with his laptop for a half hour showing me all sorts of fancy expensive bullshit.  Got it done with a local handyman for 1500.  Most trade-based "service" companies thrive off of people's ignorance, laziness, or just being so wealthy they DGAF if they get screwed.  Sad.
That happened to me when I had my HVAC replaced.  

The first company I called, who is a very well regarded local company, been in business forever, see their trucks all over town (I work in medium and heavy duty trucks and we actually do most of the servicing and repairs on their fleet), kind of the "go-to" in this area for heating and air, sent a guy out in an SUV.  He showed up in a polo shirt and slacks.  I took a day off from work to meet this guy at the house, he spent all of about 15-20 minutes looking at the thermostat, the inside unit and the condenser outside, didn't even turn the thing on to see what it was doing, scribbled some notes, and told me he'd email an estimate.  

He bounced and later that afternoon I had an estimate for about $12K for my 2000 sq/ft house just for the inside and outside units and the electronics.  It was one page long, no notes about what the system was or wasn't doing, just "replacement recommended due to age," a list of parts and labor, and a total.  I can't help but feel that this was a "fuck you" quote, just something the guy threw together so he wouldn't get fussed at by his boss for ignoring me.  

I talked to a few friends and they recommended another company for me, and I called them.  They sent out two installers/repairers/HVAC dudes in a service van, and they spent two or three hours looking at things.  Put gauges on the unit, ran it, went into the crawlspace to inspect the ducts, took pictures and measurements of the spaces where the inside unit was, measured a few rooms, I felt like it was a very detailed inspection.  

About a day later, one of the guys who did the initial inspection came to me at work and delivered an itemized estimate in a folder, the first page was an evaluation/diagnosis of what I had going on, they gave me repair and replacement options, explained why this or that needed to be done, it was about a five or six page report and I ultimately had them do the work.  Full system, ducts, registers, electronics, ten year warranty, $8500.

I'm a trades dude, or I used to be at least, so I know how this works.  I hate it because I know cars and trucks and such, but I don't know very much about home repairs and improvements so I'm at the mercy of guys who do (or don't).  I at least know when something doesn't sound right and when to get a second opinion, but at lot of these guys are cashing big ass checks and taking people to the cleaners who don't know any better, and it really sucks.

Almost all of it can be DIY if you're brave enough.  I replaced my heat pump and air handler with NO previous HVAC knowledge, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#30]
As a general rule, contractors don't buy parts from Amazon or online. For me, I rarely go to Home Depot or Lowe's. I go to the specific parts wholesaler whether it's electrical, plumbing/ hvac, etc. The $300 part that you find online for $5.00 may actually cost me $200 at the wholesaler. Something goes wrong, I can take it back and get another one without a hassle. I'm not fucking around going to HomeDepot and wasting an hour or more.
I have ordered parts online from an online parts house after clearing it with the customer that it's going to take a while to get the part and reschedule installation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep. Thankfully I started doing a lot of my own maintenance (when I previously owned a house, at least...now that I'm in an apartment, calling Maintenance to take care of shit is easy).

A/C went out a few years ago. Did some troubleshooting and figured out it was a bad blower motor. Found a replacement at an HVAC supply place nearby for $90 and I fixed it myself. Blower still works fine to this day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I don't get it, mind explaining this comment to a GenX?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I worked for a friends dad installing HVAC in new home construction after I had graduated high school in SoCal.
In the "winter", when work slowed down, I used to go out on service calls as the gopher.
I worked for this old guy, Jerry, he was a master craftsman in HVAC, commercial and residential.
Most of the time he would flip a circuit breaker, replace a circuit breaker, replace the fuse, replace the capacitor, replace the fan motor or some switch that didn't work.
A couple hours worth of work and he would have the worst pile of shit working.
Most of the time he would charge the system at no cost and if it didn't hold pressure is when he made money.
He logged the most calls but made the least money per call but made the most money.
He had two big rolodexes worth of clients, a lot of his calls were from repeat customers.
I didn't like working with some of the other techs, they were flat out rip-off artists.
One guy, Stan, he would fix and easy problem and take off leaving me there for an hour or so doing nothing.
Long before the days of smart phones and Walkman's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By memsu:
I do HVAC controls. After 18 years of troubleshooting customer units that don't work I became pretty good at it. That's where these HVAC companies are failing. All the experienced people are gone or not in the field anymore. New employees don't know how to troubleshoot.

I bet there's a market for providing 2nd opinions and minor repairs.

Don't forget they are also phasing out R-410A.
View Quote

this. big time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Biggus_Dickus] [#35]
Originally Posted By FE427TP:
The two hours included the time troubleshooting, finding the part and ordering it or did you let him troubleshoot it for you then repaired off his diagnosis? It including the time driving to your place twice? (Once to find the problem, once with parts in hand to repair) Buying the tools needed to do the work? You included that in your price too right? Yeah they are split out over many jobs but you still need to include that as each new van needs stocked. Did you include business insurance costs? What about a day worth of business van payment? You're going to need to charge enough to cover the $115,000 it costs to have a tooled up new van every 6 years or so. The time the guy needs to go through mandatory training that he needs paid for regardless of him bringing in money, did you factor that in your $325? I know my employer has to pay $112.79 per hour (my part I bring home is $45.36/hr of that expense) I'm employed to cover the primary costs to have me on the job. If I was driving a van that would mean travel time too and more money charged to cover the van costs. You can only assume 6 hrs a day billable for most service work so multiply that cost per hour by 125%. They answered the phone when you called right? Was it the technician who answered? If not there's another $35/hr in expense, but don't forget the typical two weeks paid vacation that needs covered. After all this you can start looking at how much extra to charge for profit to pay the owner, the salesmen, etc. and if you're not paying them well enough the good ones will move on.

TL;DR go be a poor somewhere else, you will never understand how expensive a skilled trade service business is to operate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FE427TP:

I was willing to pay a reasonable amount for their skilled labor. Padding the estimate to drive it up to outrageous amounts (3300-4800) to try to convince me to buy a new system is in no way reasonable. I fixed it in >2hours for $325. Fuck them for trying to fuck me and for all those ignorant suckers they've fucked in the past.

TWO different companies. PAID them both for the service calls and diagnosis.  Would have let them do the repairs if they hadn't tried to FUCK ME UP THE ASS.

I'm guessing you're one of those "skilled" trades guys. I hope your skills are better than your reading comprehension.

Tools required was a couple of nut drivers for the sheet metal screws holding a cover and the blower assembly in place.

Diagnosis.  Turn thermostat to a temperature to kick on. Motor buzzes but does not turn. After about 5 seconds, it stops and starts flashing a fault code. Real technical learning right there
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#36]
MOST trades “services” are rip-offs these days. Example: propane “woodstove” wouldn’t light this winter…called the company that we bought from and they installed the whole system (stove, chimneys, pipes, clean wood flue, install stainless chimney cap) BIG BUCK$ but we were satisfied and happy to be rid of handling firewood. Come this winter, problem lighting stove with remote control. Call d them and they said “ we need $300 up front and we can come out  on so and so date”  (the two months out!) bullshit, I said to myself.
We suspected the thermocouple was bad so wife looked up on the net and found something to try. We took the top off the stove and removed the glass and screen (easy 10 min job), removed 2 of the fake logs to expose the pilot/ thermocouple unit then lightly sanded the tip of the thermocouple with emery cloth. BINGO! Stove lit and has continued to work perfectly. A little info and some patience and you can do most service calls yourself and save hundreds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
As a general rule, contractors don't buy parts from Amazon or online. For me, I rarely go to Home Depot or Lowe's. I go to the specific parts wholesaler whether it's electrical, plumbing/ hvac, etc. The $300 part that you find online for $5.00 may actually cost me $200 at the wholesaler. Something goes wrong, I can take it back and get another one without a hassle. I'm not fucking around going to HomeDepot and wasting an hour or more.
I have ordered parts online from an online parts house after clearing it with the customer that it's going to take a while to get the part and reschedule installation.
View Quote

People are going to HD/Lowes/Amazon because they have less choices than you do.  Some supply houses will outright refuse their business because they lack a license.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#38]
Originally Posted By DrDover:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrDover:

Trane commercial is even worse.

When we integrate into their units it's always some bullshit point we need activated. Can't do it without calling their tech out with their laptop with Tracer TU software to come out and enable the point we need. Minimum service call 4 hours.

My company would pay a premium for a laptop with the Trane Tracer TU software. Trane won't sell it to us because we don't quite meet their criteria.

Our company almost purchased Trane before Ingersoll Rand increased their bid. I can tell you we would have been a much better fit for them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

People are going to HD/Lowes/Amazon because they have less choices than you do.  Some supply houses will outright refuse their business because they lack a license.
View All Quotes

Yep. I needed a capacitor a few years back. Went to a local HVAC supply place and got it for a few bucks. Guy basically said "Look, I'm not really supposed to sell to the general public, but in this case I'll make an exception"

That's been the only time I've had that happen. Aside from that, the answer has always been "Sorry we don't sell to the public, only to HVAC companies".

So that's when I go buy parts online from Amazon or wherever.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ApacheScout] [#40]

View All Quotes

The reason is because the wholesaler isn't going to play 20 questions with a homeowner who doesn't know what he is doing while there's a line of guys that are on the clock waiting. Not to mention they try to return parts after installing them because they misdiagnosed the problem.
If you walk in and act like you know what you are doing, most wholesale houses won't care.
If I'm not mistaken, it is the furnace manufacturers that imposed the "no sales to unlicensed people" to limit liability when someone installs a furnace and kills their family from carbon monoxide poisoning and then try to sue the manufacturer.
ETA: There's a lot of places you and I can't buy stuff. We can't go to produce wholesalers and buy bulk vegetables, same with poultry and beef.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I'm interested....

Got some more info on how to do this?

@TriggerM
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By bikertrash:

I'm interested....

@TriggerM
View All Quotes

I'm interested....

@TriggerM
I looked into it and only came up with overpriced online schools. I want a study manual I can read on my own and then go take the test somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

Yep. I needed a capacitor a few years back. Went to a local HVAC supply place and got it for a few bucks. Guy basically said "Look, I'm not really supposed to sell to the general public, but in this case I'll make an exception"

That's been the only time I've had that happen. Aside from that, the answer has always been "Sorry we don't sell to the public, only to HVAC companies".

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

You pay double online for cheap Chinese capacitors vs the USA made ones you can get at the parts store.

They always give me crap too, but my company has an account with them and I just tell them fine here's my company and I'm paying with card not the account.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#44]

I'm interested....

@TriggerM
View All Quotes

I'm interested....

@TriggerM

Look to the app SkillCat it's like $10 a month and they have all sorts of training you can take.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Do it yourself if you have time,  It's never been easier to figure this stuff out.  

If you don't have time to learn, you better be using it to make a lot of money.  You're gonna need it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#46]
I walked into our parts house and told them I wanted  Carrier part # capacitor or one with equivalent specs.  They gave me no problems and I bought two.  One for the repair and one as a spare.

RE: trouble shooting

Shortly after having my new system installed it stopped working.  I called my Son's friend and told him it quit working and that I had checked the drain line and capacitors.  He asked the name brand and told me it would be a 1amp fuse on one of the control boards.  He says that they always replace that fuse with a larger fuse when they install the units because it was guaranteed to blow.  He swung by after work and showed me his parts kit that included ~ 100 of the larger fuses.  He replaced the fuse and left a couple more for me but said I would probably never need them and I haven't.

A few years later my fan quit blowing.  Knowing the unit, he immediately said it was most likely the control board integrated on the fan.  $900 part but since his company services about 50 of those units, he was able to get it replaced under warranty.  Offered him $200 for his efforts but he said he would take no more than $100.  I gave the other $100 to his fiancée as they were on their way out for dinner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

There's always one butt-hurt young fella who wants to blame others for something/everything, including being born at the wrong time.

TFFAADH crybaby
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I am thankful we have a badass company in the neighborhood hood.  I had them out because our downstairs unit died.  We have two units.

Being 18yrs old units was ready to drop the money and replace both units.  Our hvac guy talked me out of replacing the upstairs unit.  He said, well give it a quick service and if it isn't broke, let it ride.  That was 6 years ago and that unit is still running.

They will fix and fix and work within your budget.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I looked into it and only came up with overpriced online schools. I want a study manual I can read on my own and then go take the test somewhere.
View All Quotes

I'm interested....

@TriggerM

@ApacheScout

I found this:

https://epa608app.com/studyguides/ITI_EPA608.pdf
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Look to the app SkillCat it's like $10 a month and they have all sorts of training you can take.
View All Quotes

I'm interested....

@TriggerM

I'll check it out, Thanks!!

@memsu
Page / 6
Top Top