BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Employment certain?

Tennessee is a right to work state.

I would move to TN in a second if my circumstances permitted.
My brother live in the NW part of the state, I’d probably settle in the eastern part.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MichaelVain:
I love threads where people move to places I'm considering.  Did you have a difficult time finding a place?  Are you close to good healthcare, shopping, etc?
View Quote

It depends on what you are looking for, for a home. It was a little tough because I wanted to be about an hour or so from Nashville (east) because I will travel for work, and wanted at least 5 unrestricted acres with a good house but didn't want to spend a shitload of money. I also wanted to be at least a half hour from a decent-sized town (decent-sized to me is if it has some good restaurants, several good grocery stores, and a decent-sized hardware store or lumber yard).

Plus we only had about 2 weeks to find something... So it was a bit stressful but we ended up finding something that met all the criteria. But if you are just looking for a good house in a subdivision or 1-2 acres of land, there are all kinds of places out there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
Are you getting a place with some land or be in town?
View Quote

we ended up with 5 1/2 acres, we wanted land so we can have chickens, and maybe some goats. And I wanted to be able to hunt my land, which I can do! Muzzle loader, archery, or shotgun, but I can still hunt it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:

Overly. We are already trying to cede Memphis to Arkansas.
View Quote

We’ve been trying for years, Arkansas isn’t buying it.

To the OP, welcome and I live in middle TN. Just please don’t bring up “recycling” when you get here. It’s optional here….
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Pics of single MIL.
View Quote

Haha, sorry, i don't have any.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Enjoy your freedom OP. Also, fuck you for leaving.

Twenty years to go.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#7]
Originally Posted By amos1909:

View Quote

I can drive all over SoCal, NE, and even Chicago area interstates without encountering a multi car pile up day in and day out.

Not so much in the Volunteer State.

There’s a reason trucker’s call it Crashville. Chattanooga is no slacker either when it comes to careless people way in over their heads and creating unnecessary risk in traffic.

It’s probably just the Yankees transplants getting out of hand and not any of the rednecks with paychecks just gettin er done while the gettins good

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
 We don't care if AR takes it but we won't. MS is prepared to go to war over this.
View Quote

MS doesn’t even have a real football Team, bring it on. You’ll take Memphis and like it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Sweet tea or unsweetened?
Know the words to Rocky Top yet?
Do you know all soft drinks are Coke?
Bought anything freedom related yet?
View Quote

Sweet tea all day long
I do not know the words to Rocky Top yet but I am sure I will as soon as I get there and spend a little time.
I grew up calling all soda "coke"
I still live in CA so I have not bought anything fun yet. But I intend to as soon as I get a driver's license in TN.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome as a fellow transplant. Remember when people ask, you are a refugee not a missionary.

Middle TN is what I assume you mean. If you need any direct help or direction feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck with the move.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Redec:

North of Nashville? City or country? Stay out of Davidson and Sumner Co unless you want to keep paying stupidly high taxes. Nashville roads are terrible. All that tax, and none towards what needs to be fixed. Blue county at its finest.
View Quote

Country, east of Nashville a bit, I wanted to be a little ways away.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By North_42:

we ended up with 5 1/2 acres, we wanted land so we can have chickens, and maybe some goats. And I wanted to be able to hunt my land, which I can do! Muzzle loader, archery, or shotgun, but I can still hunt it.
View Quote

Cool.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Employment certain?

Tennessee is a right to work state.

I would move to TN in a second if my circumstances permitted.
My brother live in the NW part of the state, I’d probably settle in the eastern part.
View Quote

Work is taking me to TN, I work for a national company and can live anywhere from Michigan to Alabama and decided on TN.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#14]
Are you going to hijack a jetplane?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Soxfan:

We’ve been trying for years, Arkansas isn’t buying it.

To the OP, welcome and I live in middle TN. Just please don’t bring up “recycling” when you get here. It’s optional here….
View Quote

Thank God... I can live with only taking one can to the road on trash day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
Enjoy your freedom OP. Also, fuck you for leaving.

Twenty years to go.
View Quote

Oof, that is rough. But I get it. I didn't think I'd be able to move until I retire, either, but a surprise  opportunity opened up with my work and I decided to go for it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]
As an out-of-stater who moved here literally fleeing Democrat political tyranny a few years ago, all I can say is, "Welcome, now don't be an asshole and bring all the bullshit you're escaping with you to TN."  

You don't know it, but it'll probably take you some time to de-program from the nuanced crap you've been subjected to for years.  Be open to change (TN changing you, not the other way around) and be prepared to fight like hell in the next 10 years to keep TN from being run over by the big cities and the people who run them.  We're in for a serious case of tail wagging the dog at the rate people are flocking to the metros of TN.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#18]

MS doesn't even have a real football Team, bring it on. You'll take Memphis and like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
 We don't care if AR takes it but we won't. MS is prepared to go to war over this.

MS doesn't even have a real football Team, bring it on. You'll take Memphis and like it.
 Gimme a break. We lead TN in Mannings 2-1.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ibn_Huq:

I can drive all over SoCal, NE, and even Chicago area interstates without encountering a multi car pile up day in and day out.

Not so much in the Volunteer State.

There’s a reason trucker’s call it Crashville. Chattanooga is no slacker either when it comes to careless people way in over their heads and creating unnecessary risk in traffic.

It’s probably just the Yankees transplants getting out of hand and not any of the rednecks with paychecks just gettin er done while the gettins good

View Quote

So far I haven't seen much in the way of bad drivers when I have been out there... It mostly just seems like a lot of people that know where they are going and have shit to do! And I have spent the last 14 years driving to the Bay Area for work so Nashville "traffic" is child's play to me
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
No question, Jimmy Martin is good music

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Welcome as a fellow transplant. Remember when people ask, you are a refugee not a missionary.

Middle TN is what I assume you mean. If you need any direct help or direction feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck with the move.
View Quote

Thanks I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Lucky

I spent two weeks down there, one in East TN and one in north GA. I love pretty much everything. Wish I could pack up and head there now.

I will be on my way. Possibly in less than 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BubbasBarNGrill:
Lucky

I spent two weeks down there, one in East TN and one in north GA. I love pretty much everything. Wish I could pack up and head there now.

I will be on my way. Possibly in less than 5 years.
View Quote

Good luck! People keep telling me that I am going to love where I am going so I am pretty excited. I have only spent a few weeks there so far. Kind of crazy to buy a house somewhere the first time you visit it!

I'll miss the mountains but I am fortunate that I will still be able to make trips back out west to enjoy them a few times a year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#25]

I will do my level best to never mention the "C" word at all!
View Quote
Thank you.   We really do not care for "how it was done where I come from"

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Good luck!  We thoroughly enjoyed our time living in TN though we lived in the Memphis area.  Get friends or a lease to shoot on ASAP, public ranges and/or places to hunt are at a premium.  Ironically, tiny little Connecticut has more public ranges than all of Tennessee.  TFO is the big Tennessee gun board to sign up on if you haven't already.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#27]
If you ever utter the phrases, "the 24," "the 40," "the 65," or the "75," we will automatically know you are from California. Don't do it unless you want your neighbors to automatically distrust you. We refer to them as I-24, I-40, I-65, and I-75. Alternatively, you may refer to them as 24, 40, 65, and 75. But NEVER "the 24," etc.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
If you ever utter the phrases, "the 24," "the 40," "the 65," or the "75," we will automatically know you are from California. Don't do it unless you want your neighbors to automatically distrust you. We refer to them as I-24, I-40, I-65, and I-75. Alternatively, you may refer to them as 24, 40, 65, and 75. But NEVER "the 24," etc.
View Quote

I was comin' down Jellico & the sumbitch damn near run me offn the road, ya hear?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
View Quote

Thanks for that tip... I just realized I picked up that habit living here and traveling to the Bay Area so much...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TresOsos] [#30]
Tennessee is done, its only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#31]
Paying movers or do it yourself?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Oh here we go
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Paying movers or do it yourself?
View Quote

Company is paying for movers, thank God...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#34]
What is the best fast food sandwich?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Moved here a year ago. From 5 generations of Floridians. Never regretted it a moment!

Company transfers a car from fucking Cali for me to drive! So Cali license plates since January!!

I get a new car in the next few days.....whew! You need to re-register your cars ASAP!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
What is the best fast food sandwich?
View Quote

I suppose that depends on how you define, "fast food", and "sandwich"... I don't really eat a lot of fast food, either, but am a bit of a sucker for Carls Jr/Hardees burgers when I do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#37]

MS doesn’t even have a real football Team, bring it on. You’ll take Memphis and like it.
View Quote

Thats where your wrong, kiddo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jjrockbush:
Moved here a year ago. From 5 generations of Floridians. Never regretted it a moment!

Company transfers a car from fucking Cali for me to drive! So Cali license plates since January!!

I get a new car in the next few days.....whew! You need to re-register your cars ASAP!!
View Quote

I am planning to do it before I actually even move out there, if I can! Just not sure I will be making another trip for work before I move or not... We just closed on our house last week so now I can actually get a driver's license and register the rigs if I do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you like ticks and tornados?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Why did you pick TN instead of TX like all your brethren?  

Please don’t ruin TN like yall did to CA.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Welcome to the South.

Most conservatives that move south are not as conservative as the locals. So tread with care the first year or two. Please never say….we don’t do it this way back in California. Find a good church and you’ll fit in quicker.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
Do you like ticks and tornados?
View Quote

I'll have permethrin and the house has a storm shelter that I intend to also use as a gun room. So we good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
Why did you pick TN instead of TX like all your brethren?  

Please don’t ruin TN like yall did to CA.
View Quote

Trust me, you want us in your state, we aren't ruining anything.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Welcome to the South.

Most conservatives that move south are not as conservative as the locals. So tread with care the first year or two. Please never say….we don’t do it this way back in California. Find a good church and you’ll fit in quicker.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. A good church community is top priority. And we didn't do anything the "way it's done in CA", while we lived here so I have no intention of trying to somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Advice for you good sir. Please dont talk about how conservative you are with all the neighbors right before you start a laundry list of complaints about grass height, noise, dirt on the road, how someone handles their animals or dogs etc etc.

There is a rule here, if its on your side of the fence its your business. If its on their side of the fence it is there business.  Period, full stop no exceptions. This is an absolute rule and people will find themselves ostricised basically immediately for breaking it. Hopefully you are happy about this rule. If you can follow it you'll fit right in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#46]
Conservative Tennesseans are very skeptical of anyone from California. You can tell a tree by it's fruit kind of thing.

ETA; Many folks in Nashville will swoon over you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By UTCenturion:
Advice for you good sir. Please dont talk about how conservative you are with all the neighbors right before you start a laundry list of complaints about grass height, noise, dirt on the road, how someone handles their animals or dogs etc etc.

There is a rule here, if its on your side of the fence its your business. If its on their side of the fence it is there business.  Period, full stop no exceptions. This is an absolute rule and people will find themselves ostricised basically immediately for breaking it. Hopefully you are happy about this rule. If you can follow it you'll fit right in.
View Quote

Thank you, sir. I don't intend to discuss anything not asked of me with anyone. And we bought property in the country so we can have a garden and animals, etc, so the last thing I will do is complain about anything a neighbor does. That being said, I'd disagree that there are absolutely no exceptions. But we bought property in a nicer area and the neighbors aren't real close so I am not too worried about it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: North_42] [#48]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
Conservative Tennesseans are very skeptical of anyone from California. You can tell a tree by it's fruit kind of thing.

ETA; Many folks in Nashville will swoon over you.
View Quote

I expect that and it is fine, I am sure we will have to overcome the stereotype often. We have already met several conservative Tennesseans and we all get along just fine so I think we will be good. We aren't "showy" people, we just want to live our life, treat people well, and be left alone.

ETA, other than for work I'd be surprised if the wife and I go to Nashville more than a few times a year and then probably only for concerts and the very occasional night out. We'd rather be exploring in the woods and on the lake.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#49]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
Are you getting a place with some land or be in town?

Five acres is not much to hunt on, I live on 5 acres, about 2/3 wooded.

Oh, and I used to live in Whitehouse.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#50]
We had a northern ca "conservative" move to our town and he caused a rift that still hasn't healed. He went back to ca after crapping on us for 4 years.

He had ca money and was buying property left and right.  Then he got caught trying to threaten people over their vacant lots in town.

Glad he and his ilk family are gone. He brought his wife, 2 sons, parents, grandparents, and his brother and his family all here.

Thank the Lord he took them all back with him
Locusts
Page / 5
Top Top