BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
Hopefully the stolen ones are returned to the rightful owner and not destroyed with the others.
View Quote

I will venture to say many of those have never been titled/registered to anyone from day one.

Dealership sells to first owner and hands them a certificate of origin. Then they go get it titled in their name, which 90% do not do.

If there is any oaper trail it is more then likely to the first owner or the dealership.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Silas:
Dang. There are some Banshees in their confiscation yard. Hopefully they won’t be destroying them.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet. 150 more will now be stolen. They killed the supply, not the demand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

Street racers are morons. They should be locked up.  Want to race?  Go to a track.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Meh...just like the hall monitor cops that go after street racers. Waste of tax payer dollars IMO.

If all the atv's and bikes are stolen though I'll give it a pass.

Street racers are morons. They should be locked up.  Want to race?  Go to a track.
We would but Karen bought a house across the street and complained about the noise.

"Street takeover" guys are morons. Real, bona fide street racers aren't hurting anyone.

Hope the ATVs get returned to who they belong to. If they weren't stolen, the owner can choose to forfeit the ATV or have it impounded until they pay the fines for riding it illegally.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TheRX7Project:
We would but Karen bought a house across the street and complained about the noise.

"Street takeover" guys are morons. Real, bona fide street racers aren't hurting anyone.

Hope the ATVs get returned to who they belong to. If they weren't stolen, the owner can choose to forfeit the ATV or have it impounded until they pay the fines for riding it illegally.
View Quote

Congrats.  You've made the list of the top 10 dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Crushing 150 of them is probably like throwing matches at the sun.
View Quote

throwing matches at the sun

that's kinda poetic
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Congrats.  You've made the list of the top 10 dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.
View Quote
Good. Just because you're too dumb to understand the difference doesn't make you right.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Good. Just because you're too dumb to understand the difference doesn't make you right.
View Quote

As opposed to being too dumb to understand that racing on public streets is dangerous.

I’ll stick with my position, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#9]
They misspelled stolen
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully the stolen ones are returned to the rightful owner and not destroyed with the others.
View Quote

They'll put as much effort into that as they do finding the owners of the stolen guns they confiscate as well.....0.0
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By walther1978:
Steam roll them all.

View Quote

Then auction off the ATVs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Now do illegals and gangs in the inner city.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
GD- become ungovernable!!  

GD when people actually become ungovernable- Reeeeeeeee....
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
Are the people caught with stolen ATVs being charged for the theft?
View Quote

The news clip in the OP said they got 24 in a weekend, of which 3 were proven to be stolen and arrests were made in relation to those stolen ones.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JET55:

Nah, they should auction them off. Insurance already paid off the stolen ones.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By n0zzle:

This should always be the first course of action.

Insurance isn't usually purchased on ATVs.  It isn't required on automobiles either.  Where do people come up with this garbage?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Torf:
Insurance isn't usually purchased on ATVs.  It isn't required on automobiles either.  Where do people come up with this garbage?
View Quote

I have insurance on my motorcycle. To be fair, it is a dual sport so I have to but were it simply a dirt bike, I still would.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By n0zzle:

This should always be the first course of action.

Just about every lender will require the ATV to be insured when giving a loan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#18]

I have insurance on my motorcycle. To be fair, it is a dual sport so I have to but were it simply a dirt bike, I still would.
View All Quotes

I have it on my dual sport as well.  Costs very little, and there is virtually no cost difference between liability only and full coverage.  But I wouldn't if I didn't ride on the street.

I'm not aware of too many people who buy insurance on a relatively inexpensive off road only vehicle.  Chances are good that of the 87% of ATVs that are stolen, 87% didn't get their stolen ATV paid out by an insurance company.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

View Quote
Maybe an ATV specific loan at a dealership or something.  A home equity loan won't require squat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe an ATV specific loan at a dealership or something.  A home equity loan won't require squat.
View All Quotes

Are you dense? The lender giving you the cash on the home equity loan will require the home to be insured. They don't give a shit what you spend the money on.

Any loan, for any motor vehicle, will require it to be insured.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#21]

Are you dense? The lender giving you the cash on the home equity loan will require the home to be insured. They don't give a shit what you spend the money on.

View All Quotes

Trying to be kind here.  Really.  But was it not clear to you that when you get a home equity loan and then use the money to buy an ATV, no one is going to make you get insurance on the ATV?  Carrying insurance on the home is assumed, at least to secure the line of credit.

Yes, there are some scenarios where a dude may be required to carry some insurance on an ATV.  I strongly disagree with your assumptions however.  I can walk into the dealership today and get financing for an ATV, SxS, utility cart, golf cart, bike, zero-turn, tractor, trailer, etc and never have to show insurance.  Maybe these things differ by state.

It's certainly not universal that all the former owners were paid by insurance, and I strongly suspect that not even a majority were.  That's my main point.\

Besides, did it ever occur to anyone that someone might have just paid for the ATV?  My brother-in-law had an old 350 Raptor that be bought for like $3k.  Fun quad.  I loved it and it was surprisingly capable.  If he still had it and it ever got stolen, I assume he'd want it back uncrushed.  [shrug]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Trying to be kind here.  Really.  But was it not clear to you that when you get a home equity loan and then use the money to buy an ATV, no one is going to make you get insurance on the ATV?  Carrying insurance on the home is assumed, at least to secure the line of credit.

Yes, there are some scenarios where a dude may be required to carry some insurance on an ATV.  I strongly disagree with your assumptions however.  I can walk into the dealership today and get financing for an ATV, SxS, utility cart, golf cart, bike, zero-turn, tractor, trailer, etc and never have to show insurance.  Maybe these things differ by state.

It's certainly not universal that all the former owners were paid by insurance, and I strongly suspect that not even a majority were.  That's my main point.
View All Quotes

It's certainly not universal that all the former owners were paid by insurance, and I strongly suspect that not even a majority were.  That's my main point.

You didn't seem kind when you were asking where people were getting this garbage. It was clear that you were talking about getting a home equity loan (completely random scenario to come up with, to begin with) and paying cash for the ATV at the dealership. You stated "A home equity loan won't require squat." I responded "The lender giving you the cash on the home equity loan will require the home to be insured."

I have no idea what state you live in, because you don't have it on your profile. But I don't believe you can walk into your dealership and finance any vehicle you want without having any insurance on the vehicle. Paying for the vehicle in full, absolutely. But not financed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Meh...just like the hall monitor cops that go after street racers. Waste of tax payer dollars IMO.

What exactly is a “real, bona fide street racer”?  You sound like just another tuner dweeb who drives a Japanese sports car with a grapefruit launcher exhaust.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#25]
When and where is the police auction?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kpel308:

How about, "Return them to their original owners from whom they were stolen"?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpel308:
Steam roll them all.

How about, "Return them to their original owners from whom they were stolen"?

I would guess the cost of storage and manpower/logistics to track down and notify each previous owner, would probably cost more than the ATV is actually worth.

I think they should notify the public and give X number of days for owners to show up with proof, then just auction the rest off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]

You didn't seem kind when you were asking where people were getting this garbage. It was clear that you were talking about getting a home equity loan (completely random scenario to come up with, to begin with) and paying cash for the ATV at the dealership. You stated "A home equity loan won't require squat." I responded "The lender giving you the cash on the home equity loan will require the home to be insured."

I have no idea what state you live in, because you don't have it on your profile. But I don't believe you can walk into your dealership and finance any vehicle you want without having any insurance on the vehicle. Paying for the vehicle in full, absolutely. But not financed.
View Quote
Fair enough.  I was responding to a blanket statement when it was pretty obvious that the blanket may very well be more hole than blanket.

When I said "a home equity loan won't require squat" I was contrasting having a HELOC to having dealership financing.  Certainly was not claiming that nothing was needed to have a HELOC, but as you point out, using the HELOC to get cash in the hands of a dealer is plenty to be out the door, no insurance necessary.

Live in Central IL.  Around here home insurance policies may cover losses if thieves break in and steal equipment or vehicles (not separately insured), particularly if you add an ATV rider on the policy.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Fair enough.  I was responding to a blanket statement when it was pretty obvious that the blanket may very well be more hole than blanket.

When I said "a home equity loan won't require squat" I was contrasting having a HELOC to having dealership financing.  Certainly was not claiming that nothing was needed to have a HELOC, but as you point out, using the HELOC to get cash in the hands of a dealer is plenty to be out the door, no insurance necessary.

Live in Central IL.  Around here home insurance policies may cover losses if thieves break in and steal equipment or vehicles (not separately insured), particularly if you add an ATV rider on the policy.

View All Quotes

It's similar here in TX. I can also call and add the $10K ATV to my homeowners policy for $X more on my premiums.

I'm not disputing that insurance isn't required when paying cash for the vehicle, whether the cash comes from your checking account or a home equity line of credit or a shoebox under the bed. But when the vehicle is financed, the vast majority of lenders will require the vehicle to be insured.

I also believe that the vast majority of those ATV's were originally financed, and not paid for in full.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:

What exactly is a "real, bona fide street racer"?  You sound like just another tuner dweeb who drives a Japanese sports car with a grapefruit launcher exhaust.
View All Quotes

What exactly is a "real, bona fide street racer"?  You sound like just another tuner dweeb who drives a Japanese sports car with a grapefruit launcher exhaust.
Far from a "tuner dweeb" with my carbureted rotary in an early RX7 SCCA race car, or my Plymouth Belvedere. My exhaust tip is 2.5", since you're concerned.

To answer your question, real street racing is nothing like the movies or light-to-light BS people call "street racing". Precautions are taken to ensure no innocent lives are in danger. The only risks are to yourselves and the others involved. Realistically, the only difference between "real street racing" and racing at a track is the location and the provision of an ambulance.

I've done plenty of both, I've seen plenty of cars wreck on the track (yes, including the drag strip) whereas I have yet to witness any sort of incident at actual street races. Does that mean it's safer? No. But it's not a danger to society when done properly.

Honestly neither are these guys riding around on ATVs or dirt bikes. If they're stolen or used in a real crime (not just riding), then I hope the thieves/criminals get their shit pushed in. Otherwise? Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Steam roll them all.

View Quote

The thieves, right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:40:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#31]
Far from a "tuner dweeb" with my carbureted rotary in an early RX7 SCCA race car, or my Plymouth Belvedere. My exhaust tip is 2.5", since you're concerned.

To answer your question, real street racing is nothing like the movies or light-to-light BS people call "street racing". Precautions are taken to ensure no innocent lives are in danger. The only risks are to yourselves and the others involved. Realistically, the only difference between "real street racing" and racing at a track is the location and the provision of an ambulance.

I've done plenty of both, I've seen plenty of cars wreck on the track (yes, including the drag strip) whereas I have yet to witness any sort of incident at actual street races. Does that mean it's safer? No. But it's not a danger to society when done properly.

Honestly neither are these guys riding around on ATVs or dirt bikes. If they're stolen or used in a real crime (not just riding), then I hope the thieves/criminals get their shit pushed in. Otherwise? Zero fucks given.
View All Quotes

So how you break the law is what makes you real and bona fide.  You are still breaking the law on public roads.  I see no difference.  Real, bonfide street racer - LMFAO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Snert:
I will venture to say many of those have never been titled/registered to anyone from day one.
Dealership sells to first owner and hands them a certificate of origin. Then they go get it titled in their name, which 90% do not do.
If there is any oaper trail it is more then likely to the first owner or the dealership.
View Quote

That was my experience with the majority of atvs and dirt bikes we impounded at work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Edgelord
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

What kind of moron takes out a home equity loan for a toy?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

A quick google search says you are wrong.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/street-racing-suspected-in-deadly-canoga-park-hit-and-run/

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/2-teens-arrested-murder-street-racing-death-hatfield-woman/3801021/

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2024/03/04/deadly-suspected-street-racing-crash-in-clay-county-was-livestreamed-on-instagram-new-details-show/
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Streets as safe as the track...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:

This sounds a lot like destroying confiscated guns.

Inanimate objects aren’t to blame for crime.
View Quote

This- thank you for your voice of reason.  

I'm sure destroying them costs money. Auction them off to help pay for the task force and at least try to ease the burden on the taxpayers a little.

fucking retards everywhere
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

All 4 of mine are insured.  They need to be insured to ride in the private offroad clubs around here.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

View All Quotes

I've never taken money from my HELOC to buy a "toy" but I did once to buy a tractor many years ago.

The rate was only a few basis points higher than the 30-year mortgage at the time.  No one was willing to loan money for equipment so cheaply.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By HamonRye:

All 4 of mine are insured.  They need to be insured to ride in the private offroad clubs around here.

View All Quotes

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

To be fair, back when rates were 2%-5%, it would be smarter to take a loan against your house, than to pay 10%-15% on a powersport loan.

FWIW I'm not advocating bad spending habits and financing things you can't afford. But if you can borrow it at a lower rate, it's probably the smarter financial move.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Silas:
Dang. There are some Banshees in their confiscation yard. Hopefully they won’t be destroying them.

View Quote

Yep, counted at least 4. Was surprised to see some bigger side by sides in there. They are 30k plus.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]

I'm sure destroying them costs money. Auction them off to help pay for the task force and at least try to ease the burden on the taxpayers a little.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:

This sounds a lot like destroying confiscated guns.

Inanimate objects aren’t to blame for crime.

As someone who would like a great deal on an ATV, I wish they would auction them off. But I can also see the flip side of the argument.

If the police confiscate the ATV, sell the ATV, then confiscate the same ATV again... over and over and over, it could start to look like a money-grab that isn't solving the initial issue of getting these ATV's off the streets.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I've never taken money from my HELOC to buy a "toy" but I did once to buy a tractor many years ago.

The rate was only a few basis points higher than the 30-year mortgage at the time.  No one was willing to loan money for equipment so cheaply.
View All Quotes

If the rates make sense, it's not a bad idea to borrow against your home.

People use it to get out of mountains of credit card debt all the time. You're still paying the debt, just at a much lower interest rate.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By KYB762:
Why round-up the ATVs? Why not round up the criminals riding them?
View Quote
Because that is racissss.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw a "gang" of kids riding ATVs and motocross bikes down a main street in Rockford, IL last summer. At first I went , then I realized I was in Rockford.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

My ATV's and dirtbikes are insured also.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#48]
It was Philly PD who kept Republican poll watchers out of the vote counting place (where they blocked the windows with pizza boxes) in 2020.  They are corrupt AF.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By KYB762:
Why round-up the ATVs? Why not round up the criminals riding them?
View Quote

Sort of like the Newspeak term "guncrime". The firearms commit the crimes. Hits the ineffectual types in the feelz when they hear or speak it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

LMFAO - what the shit is this?

There is NO such thing as a "bona fide street racer".   There are only "assholes racing on the street, endangering the public",  I'm not an old man yelling at clouds either...  I was a dumbass teenager.   These days, my black stripes are all left on the track and if your local track is anything comparable to street racing,  then God help you all.
Page / 3
Top Top