Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:16:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Actiondiver] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:

100% right.

It's hard for me to understand how anyone could hit 40 years old and still be a libtard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
When a high trust social experiment gets run over by a low trust society…

100% right.

It's hard for me to understand how anyone could hit 40 years old and still be a libtard.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor & Statistics the average American woman will be a barren 40 year old by the year 2030. American women are also the largest voting demographic in the USA.

Point is, your average 40 year old is a leftists now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Those charging stations are not free, are they?

What does it cost to charge your car and how long does it take?

Are all EVs makes and charging stations interchangeable?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
First Houston now San Francisco lol. Who's next....Denver, Chicago or Baltimore
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There are billions in property crimes annually ... why the unique fascination and reporting on the theft of charing cables?

Smells like propaganda. Tastes like propaganda. Sounds like propaganda.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#5]
"piles"?
What the actual fuck?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I predicted this…

Probably why those cables are so short to begin with.

It’s already a more expensive to public charge than buy gasoline in most places, this will only make it worse.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:54:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#7]
Originally Posted By RV-1:
Those charging stations are not free, are they?

What does it cost to charge your car and how long does it take?

Are all EVs makes and charging stations interchangeable?
View Quote

They charge varying amounts depending on location and time of day. 30-60 cents/kWh. Superchargers don’t really save money compared with gasoline.

My home charge overnight put in 21kWh to go from about 50% charge to 80%, at roughly 12 cents/kWh.

There are a few different charging plug standards out there, and not all makes are natively compatible. There are charging adapters available. Tesla’s network has generally been the most robust, and they’re opening the network to non-Tesla EVs.

Starting with model year 2025, most new EVs will have adopted the Tesla-style plug for charging.

For the anti-EV crowd: I still have a V8 pickup. This isn’t a car for virtue signaling. It’s a convenient, fast, good little commuter car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
You are all assuming the person cutting the cables are taking the cables.

It could be vandalism, or it could be theft.  

Plenty of people in this thread are OK with the vandalism aspect.
And there are plenty of reasons why, but we'll save that for the countless other EV threads.

And as far as the scrap yard taking it...  
What person in their right mind scraps copper cables with the plugs on the end?
You get a lot more $$$ if you strip the insulation and ends.  
The scrap yard has no way to identify the origin when you get that far into it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#9]
In Vallejo, it’s definitely bums selling it for scrap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#10]
ARe EV stations in diverse neighborhoods? or are they racist like Mayor Pete's roads.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By A_G:

You can bet on that, and you can also bet all the principled, capitalist conservatives here will shout down anyone who is critical of the scrap yards because they have to virtue signal about how its muh capitalism. Of course, their virtue signaling will be non existent when their catalytic convertor gets stolen and sold to the same type of criminal scrap yard. Then it'll be different because it effects them personally.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
And I bet the unscrupulous metal recycler will accept it, no questions asked.

You can bet on that, and you can also bet all the principled, capitalist conservatives here will shout down anyone who is critical of the scrap yards because they have to virtue signal about how its muh capitalism. Of course, their virtue signaling will be non existent when their catalytic convertor gets stolen and sold to the same type of criminal scrap yard. Then it'll be different because it effects them personally.

We don’t live in places where people steal catalytic converters…
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#12]
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

And there are plenty of reasons why, but we'll save that for the countless other EV threads.

View Quote
If they can cut the cable they can cut the plugs off. They can chop it up. I didn't see anyone cheering on vandalism, I think they are rightly pointing out this is theft and it was an obvious conclusion of leaving large amounts of copper out in the public.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

View Quote

No shit. Why would they stand there and strip it in open view? Of course they take it somewhere and clean it
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
If they can cut the cable they can cut the plugs off. They can chop it up. I didn't see anyone cheering on vandalism, I think they are rightly pointing out this is theft and it was an obvious conclusion of leaving large amounts of copper out in the public.
View Quote

I have no desire to steal copper in any form even if left out in public.  I was raised better.  Don't steal or vandalize and anyone caught should be severely punished.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

I have no desire to steal copper in any form even if left out in public.  I was raised better.  Don't steal or vandalize and anyone caught should be severely punished.
View Quote
If only everyone was like that. In my world I'd hide random trace elements in these cables...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I am surprised they have not redesigned these chargers to keep the cable inside of a cabinet and not just hanging out in the wind this isn't a new problem.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

View All Quotes

Well good for you. So what else you're saying is, is that scrap yards buying trunk loads of catalytic converters from suspicious people is perfectly acceptable and should be cheered on, because it's muh capitalism? Because you don't live where people steal them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
They'll blame it on some MAGA bastards.
View Quote

Of course. Those Maga assholes get much enjoyment out of leaving them stranded . Its like a national pastime at this point . Bonus being plenty of copper for the construction of faraday cages . Win/win .
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Copper closed at $4.80 yesterday. Copper was approximately $1 less per pound 2 months ago. Copper thievery has become very lucrative, again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:

scrap the copper so they can buy meth

View Quote

It would be cheaper if meth was legal and given out for free. Same with fentanyl. So what if they die.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

It would be cheaper if meth was legal and given out for free. Same with fentanyl. So what if they die.
View Quote
Isn't "My Body, My Choice" a favorite mantra?

It seems a little sexist and exclusionist if that viewpoint on personal freedom is only valid for women in general, and their reproductive bits in particular.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Copper
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
I'm not into EVs either right now but I'm not opposed to other people having them.  Why would someone cut the cables?  

Copper

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#24]
How much $$ would a thief get per cable?  Ten bucks?

ANy idea what it would cost to repace each cable?  Several hundred I would think.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Goldarnit!!!  Ya cain't have nuthin'!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not into EVs either right now but I'm not opposed to other people having them.  Why would someone cut the cables?  
View Quote

I am.  To me, EVs are like "smart" guns.  The gov is pushing us toward them and I partially blame everyone who buys one.  The gov won't stop until we have our 15 minute cities.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Have you ever been to a scrap yard?  You can't sell without a copy of a DL
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Normally I'm a live and let live kind of guy but with all of the false narratives around EVs and the government trying force them on us all I'm going to sit here and enjoy my shaudenfreude.

Especially because it's loony lawless SF.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jb31:

View Quote

...And then what?

Plenty of thieves have DL's and ID.  So what, they show what they have to the scrapyard, collect their money and go on about their day.  In the california bay area, there is nobody willing to investigate and prosecute for theft, either for EV charging cables or entire cars.  You have to do something really heinous to get the attention of a local police department / DA.  Laws only apply to the law-abiding.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Vandalism would be if someone cut the cables and left them on the ground, or spray painted the Tesla logos on the charging "pumps".

Theft is if someone cut the cables and ran off with them, and didn't spray paint anything.

Words have meaning.  The media really wants to move this into a different direction.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By norseman1:

The rest of the country will enjoy the contact high we get from it burning to the ground.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By norseman1:

The rest of the country will enjoy the contact high we get from it burning to the ground.

Shit, you aint wrong there.

Originally Posted By 762SR25:

Especially because it's loony lawless SF.

Not quite, Vallejo is across the bay from SF
Still loony and lawless though
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sharky30] [#32]
Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:
I'm kinda curious how they're not getting lit up like Christmas trees while cutting them. No current until they're hooked up to a vehicle?
View Quote

They're like a gas pump, current is off to the charging cable until you provide your credit card.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably cut with a stolen saws all
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sharky30:

They're like a gas pump, current is off to the charging cable until you provide your credit card.
View Quote

At least Tesla owners may only have to connect the cord and it starts charging.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Needs magnavolt lethal response
View Quote

I'd buy that for a dollar
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

For the same reason the US Customs and Border Patrol began scrutinizing every Tesla battery for DOT compliance and every component they need hit for tarriffs - harassment

Some agent provocateur for sure.  Nobody cuts into a live 440 line without specific knowledge of how and why to do it otherwise this story would be about  persons found electrocuted.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess if you're a climate-denying meth-addict copper thief, you can kill two birds with one stone by cutting the cables.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

In California we have wildlife called tweaker. They will steal anything that can be recycled for cash. In my business the first thing I did before moving in was paint all my copper pipes white.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Gas pump master race checking in. Nobody steals gas hoses.
View Quote

They just steal the gas instead.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
They'll blame it on some MAGA bastards.
View Quote

They would have called it they then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

For the same reason the US Customs and Border Patrol began scrutinizing every Tesla battery for DOT compliance and every component they need hit for tarriffs - harassment

Some agent provocateur for sure.  Nobody cuts into a live 440 line without specific knowledge of how and why to do it otherwise this story would be about  persons found electrocuted.
View Quote
Lol. They don't have 440V live in that cable all the time. But yeah, go with the grand plot instead of simple theft.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#42]
In Vallejo, it's definitely bums selling it for scrap.
View Quote
They sure left a lot hangin there.  I'd have cut those things flush with the cord grip.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

There are legitimate scrap yards, and then there are plenty of them that will happily buy your "scrap" copper "scrap" catalytic convertors for less than market value and turn around and sell it for market value themselves all while knowing full well they are buying stolen property.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top