Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
When this thing was being built , Taylorsville Utah Temple, i had no idea what it was but knew it was totally out of place for a mostly residential area. It's beautiful now that it's done but holy cow it's
massive compared to anything miles around it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flynlr:
When this thing was being built , Taylorsville Utah Temple, i had no idea what it was but knew it was totally out of place for a mostly residential area. It's beautiful now that it's done but holy cow it's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107344/1000004560-3213962.pnghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107344/1000004561-3213961.png
View Quote

Apparently 219' tall, so comparable to the 2 other proposed temples.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Approved along with the shooting range with captured trap on the lot next to it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:56:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#4]
Originally Posted By Aerospace_Money:
There needs to be grand buildings in order to give the illusion of substance to the mormon religion.
View Quote

What was the purpose of grand cathedrals like Notre Dame?

Here's a clue: even poor people will spend money on an edifice that they can feel a connection to. And organizations, whether religious, government or business, exploit that feeling.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:00:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#5]
Originally Posted By Aerospace_Money:
There needs to be grand buildings in order to give the illusion of substance to the mormon religion.
View Quote

Deleted double tap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Thank God for government.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 80085:
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Is there an existing local ordinance that prohibits buildings over "X" feet tall?

If there isn't then fuck off.

City ordinance limits building height to 35'.

Should the people of Fairview not be able to collectively decide that they don't want to live among tall buildings?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:19:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#7]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

People don’t care about property rights until you tell them what to do on their property.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:22:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#9]

How dare people worship Jesus Christ as they see fit and exercise freedom on their own property.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]
It depends on how it's built more than the height itself.

America needs more good architecture. A classic church made of classic materials (Notre Dame) would be awesome. If it's a hastily thrown together shitbox then it doesn't really belong.

Religious centers can be absolutely beautiful. Even my Atheist self can appreciate a nice building.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Not just the Mormon church pissing money away on architecture. Richmond diocese in VA is currently renovating a bunch of parishes with cathedral style sanctuaries complete with marble statuaries.

It’s obscene and stupid, but that’s the way these things go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Landsat8:

How dare people worship Jesus Christ as they see fit and exercise freedom on their own property.
View Quote

They worship a different Jesus Christ, I think that's fairly obvious between Christians and Mormons
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The Church should acquiesce and put chicken houses on it instead.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a weird way to just say they’re building a church.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel sorry for the town. Once Mormons decide to build a temple they have a habit of employing every dirty trick in the book to build it.

The site that the St Louis temple is on was once owned by a small Baptist college. When the Baptists put the land up for sale they decided they didn’t want to sell to the Mormons because they didn’t want a temple blocking the main entrance to their school.

So the Mormons hired a front man to buy the property claiming to want to build commercial offices. Once the front man bought the land he immediately transferred it to the Mormons who built their temple and the college had to redo the entrance to their school, like they were trying to avoid.

You’ve got to be careful when you’re dealing with Mormons. Honesty is not a hallmark of their dealings.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:37:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#16]
I've been to the Cody, WY site. It's on the edge of a very expensive neighborhood with homes upwards of $ 3 million. A couple of houses are going to loose the views of the nearby mountains. It's a pretty heated situation right now.

Should have bought more property.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fingas:
Should the people of Fairview not be able to collectively decide that they don't want to live among tall buildings?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fingas:
Originally Posted By 80085:
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Is there an existing local ordinance that prohibits buildings over "X" feet tall?

If there isn't then fuck off.

City ordinance limits building height to 35'.

They should ban tall buildings. Then they should ban things that make them feel unsafe. As long as they do it collectively.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I wonder if they pay property taxes on their stuff….. you know, being a corporation and all?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
That's a weird way to just say they’re building a church.
View Quote

It’s more like money laundering.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:

That looks like a klansman's hood.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
What is a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?

* A structure that will most certainly be the most attractive building in the area
* A place where people gather to worship our Savior, Jesus Christ

They make every area a better place.

https://getwallpapers.com/wallpaper/full/e/3/5/1343931-beautiful-lds-temple-wallpaper-2132x1600-for-macbook.jpg

That looks like a klansman's hood.

Considering their founder and founding documents taught that blacks were cursed with the Mark of Cain that fits.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lumper:
I guess I fail to see the need for such a high object.  I guess, if it is their property, they can do with it as they wish.  Hopefully they do not upset someone enough that a local opposed vandal would set the building on fire while it was being constructed - but I guess that is the chance you take when you take actions that your neighbors believe harm your neighbors and their community.
View Quote

If it goes through and the community really wanted to get rid of them then they would turn a blind eye to adverse actions against the building
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

There is absolutely nothing in the building code prohibiting a lead smelter next to a school.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

ETA: What does a lead smelter have to do with the height of a church, anyway?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BooJangles:

Because there are building codes for a reason. It's why they can't build a lead smelter next to a school.

There is absolutely nothing in the building code prohibiting a lead smelter next to a school.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

ETA: What does a lead smelter have to do with the height of a church, anyway?

I hope the city or class action from the residents shuts this down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Traditionally, the church was the dominant building in a town - that or the castle.  Later court houses attempted to do something very similar - where the government wanted to be the object of veneration.  In my town, other than the water tower - the Church is the first tall building on the hilltop that your eye is drawn to.

That said, I understand that cities put in codes to control their appearance.  Most people don't want a high rise in their neighborhood unless their neighborhood is already that way.  Most people don't want a new dominating structure if their community does not already have dominating structures.  In a neighborhood limited to 2 story (2.5 maybe) residential buildings, building a 6 story Church (ok, it probably only has 3 stories - but they have 20' ceilings) plus a 100 foot steeple on top is kind of overkill.  It screams that this structure dominates their daily lives - and outside of Utah, for this congregation that usually is not the case.  Same reason I probably would not want to see a major Muslim church on the hilltop overlooking my town.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I would put up a giant dick statue if that was being built across from me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

Great. Put in a medical clinic, a temple, a Starbucks, and an undersized roundabout feeding them all right next to a new Scheels. Then it’ll be modern western suburb.
View Quote

Holy shit, how do you know this?

R u a wizzard?

This is exactly what CO does with every newly built shopping area.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Does the town have a defining visual characteristic now?

Or is it the blandest suburban town imaginable?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The proposed spired here are pretty far outside normal 'tall church' experience.

This is a 175' lighthouse in a residential area, to provide some sense of scale of how a 173'-216' tall church spire would dominate the landscape.

It would become the defining visual characteristic of the town.

https://www.ponceinlet.org/z/-vf.0.0.0.134.DCBF4AF1E0F0136BA8F225992A28629C15298C857311547388ED08039BD2C1C0

Does the town have a defining visual characteristic now?

Or is it the blandest suburban town imaginable?

Awfully judgmental from someone who thinks they should shut up and take it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#28]
It's not lawfare to sue a city when they deny your applications.

The word "lawfare" is losing it's meaning when it's used to describe going up against city hall.

NOT that I support their stupid building plans.  Just a comment about the term.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#29]
still better than all the mohamadan call to prayer spires

at least mormons aren't preaching about exterminating whitey....and their temples are nice, unlike the ugly fucking mosques....

mormon spires look nice, i'm not even mormon, not like blotting out their million dollar view....and isn't it private property?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bman103:  The community should band together and build an absolutely GIANT cock and balls upright next to it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

Awfully judgmental from someone who thinks they should shut up and take it.
View Quote

I think land use decisions shouldn't be a democratic process.

All these people are closer to little communists than anything else, thinking that their town should be run like a little soviet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TOGVET:  This is one of my projects. I'll be sure to mention their concern at Friday's AOC meeting.  Would you like me to have Bob call you?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn’t realize there are so many mormons in GD.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#34]
This is brought up pretty often in my industry (power)...

You have no rights to the view off of your property.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By pineywoodsbuck:

They worship a different Jesus Christ, I think that's fairly obvious between Christians and Mormons
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Landsat8:

Isn't there only 1?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By contract:
PRIVATE PROPERTY = do what you want.

To say anything else is just non American.

Traffic, views, etc. It's ALL an excuse to stop people form building/developing because the boomer GOT MINE, F everyone else.
View Quote

If you don't like building codes, etc in incorporated areas, buy your land somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By flynlr:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107344/1000004560-3213962.pnghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107344/1000004561-3213961.png
View Quote

interesting, Tayorsville.

My Dad was the Stake President  of the Taylorsville Stake back in the 60s
Little bit of  irony here.  He used to  fight  for more church buildings  in that area all the time with  church leaders
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

If you don't like building codes, etc in incorporated areas, buy your land somewhere else.
View Quote

Building codes do not regulate building height. You're thinking of zoning codes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Could always do what some Muslims are doing in France and Canada, burn them down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:14:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#41]

I think land use decisions shouldn't be a democratic process.

All these people are closer to little communists than anything else, thinking that their town should be run like a little soviet.
View Quote

And so are volunteer fire and ems departments amd publicly funded roads and bridges, right?  What do you think of gold fringed flags?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

And so are volunteer fire and ems departments amd publicly funded roads and bridges, right?  What do you think of gold fringed flags?
View Quote

Gold fringe for a maritime court operating under Admiralty law?

I have no idea what you're on about.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

ya we worship the Father in the name of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Ghost
shame on us for making the distinction. But Jesus is not the Father.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#44]

View Quote

LOL

Same concept has been pushed for ages by one group "thinking" they are superior to another group.

Just like in Christ's day.  Christians called themselves Jews (which they were along with Christ).  The Jews wanted their (brand purity) and labeled them "Christians".

Protestant reformers still considered themselves Christians even though they were protesting against aspects of the church, but the Catholic church had to maintain brand purity so they labeled them "protest"ants.

The one group simply redefining another group with words,  doesn't change the beliefs.  It's nothing more then one group trying to feel they are superior to another because of differing beliefs.  

It's been that way for ages.  The Bible has been interpreted many different ways.  That is why there are 30,000+ differing Christian sects.   The Church of Jesus Christ worships Jesus Christ of the Bible just as any other Bible based church does.  A difference of interpretation doesn't make the central figure a different person,  otherwise there would be 30,000+ different Jesuses.

Just as the Jews of Christ's day labeling Christians as "non-Jews"  didn't change the fact that they were still Jews,  those today labeling members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as "non-Christian"  doesn't make it so.  
Both are nothing more then opinions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:
Could always do what some Muslims are doing in France and Canada, burn them down.
View Quote

Clearly the way to solve problems, pull a page from antifas playbook and burn buildings down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't worry the "Mormons" will eventually take over the world. Just like everyone thinks the Jewish people will and you can go to your local college or university and protest with everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

That episode is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

That's not an uncommon business practice.  Walt Disney did that in both CA and FL to keep the prices from skyrocketing.
View Quote

Lying is not a Christian value.

The fact that Mormons take their cues from Walt Disney and not Jesus shouldn't be something you brag about, but here we are.
Page / 9
Top Top