User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#1]
How bad is the frame rotted?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HiFlow] [#2]
Attachment Attached File

I just bought this 97 gen3 from a member here for 2k. Limited, 4x4.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-1997-4-Runner-what-to-do-/5-2718972/?page=1

Got it home, spent a week deep cleaning it and DAMN its about as clean as a vehicle can be. Jaw dropping clean and 100% un-molested/modified. Other than the engine harness and motor issue, there is virtually nothing else wrong. It actually smells new on the inside due to the leather cleaner and new carpet that was already installed.

The harnesses were 700$ off of ebay and should be here today. I also located factory manual reprints so I picked up all 3 of those for a couple hundred, so troubleshooting/repairing anything should be a lot easier. Plan on getting the harnesses installed in the next week or so and then doing a little troubleshooting on the engine to see what the overheating did. Hoping it may just be a head/gasket job and back on the road.

It wasnt even here 7 days and someone already stopped and knocked asking if it was for sale.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:03:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#3]
Rub the paint job down with compound and then build up the clear coat with several very good products that are out there now.

It has potential to still look very good I think.

IM me and I'll let you know what I use to get a really good luxurious shine and protectant as well.

For the base shine I use "Great White," paste wax.

This is good when your clear coat is experiencing summertime in the searing heat.

Congratulations!
Go for it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NY12ga:
Nice! How many miles?

Sign up over at toyota-4runner.org and you’ll get all the info and help you need fixing her up. It’s the arfcom of the 4Runner world
View Quote

Wish they would fix their site.  Completely ad laden.  Even as a member.  The “other” one has no traffic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Fix the gremlins and strip that interior.

Those old 4 runners are absolute champs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
How did midcap beat you to that?

Oh, he likes Ford shirboxes
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#8]
it can be flipped easily
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dneal33] [#9]
Originally Posted By HiFlow:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480138/4Runner_jpg-3213983.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-1997-4-Runner-what-to-do-/5-2718972/?page=1

Got it home, spent a week deep cleaning it and DAMN its about as clean as a vehicle can be. Jaw dropping clean and 100% un-molested/modified. Other than the engine harness and motor issue, there is virtually nothing else wrong. It actually smells new on the inside due to the leather cleaner and new carpet that was already installed.

The harnesses were 700$ off of ebay and should be here today. I also located factory manual reprints so I picked up all 3 of those for a couple hundred, so troubleshooting/repairing anything should be a lot easier. Plan on getting the harnesses installed in the next week or so and then doing a little troubleshooting on the engine to see what the overheating did. Hoping it may just be a head/gasket job and back on the road.

It wasnt even here 7 days and someone already stopped and knocked asking if it was for sale.
View Quote

My buddy of 50+ years has signed this 97 over to me . I have split the cost and provided all the labor, he lives five house down. Bill bought it new and has 115k miles. Cigar smoker and had a couple of Labs . 2WD We leave it at his house most of the time , and no im not going on the roof anymore
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dneal33:

My buddy of 50+ years has signed this 97 over to me . I have split the cost and provided all the labor, he lives five house down. Bill bought it new and has 115k miles. Cigar smoker and had a couple of Labs . 2WD We leave it at his house most of the time , and no im not going on the roof anymore
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/nn240/dneal33/4runner.jpg" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/nn240/dneal33/4runner.jpg
View Quote

Looks freaking AWESOME!!! and pretty much the twin, lol... I love seeing these old girls well taken care of and in good condition. Mine has almost 600k on the odometer and I would put good money on this thing would still be running today had the mice not chomped the heater hose causing the overheat and subsequent wiring damage from sitting. The member I got it from had an invoice for work he had done and the guy spent 7 grand on brakes, all the suspension, interior and new weatherstrip/seals.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The 3.0 is soulless. Old E-8 buddy of mine bought and modded one and then immediately sold it and bought a V8 4Runner.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Paul:
4Runners are fine vehicles.
View Quote

Unless this one suffers from the rusted frame problems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

I think it's at 247,000 ish. Thanks for the reference!
I've purchased, fixed-up, and daily driven many high-mileage vehicles just for the hell of it. So far my odds have been pretty good with not getting a dud.
I think it helps that I don't buy anything with rust.
View Quote

They were all over engineered for their capabilities back then, Toyotas in general. Made for reliability.

A buddy of mine had a gen 3 he bought with that many miles and drove it to well over 400,000 with no major issues, another had a 1st gen and drove it well over 300,000 as a roadtrip, camping and material-hauling vehicle

Just do your part with the standard maintenance and they just plain run.  My 2010 with 142,000 is just getting broken in
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Similar color to my 99.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
How bad is the frame rotted?
View Quote

Frame is clean. I crawled all underneath it. I just reviewed the Carfax, and it turns out that my assumption of it being a southern vehicle was correct. It lived in Georgia from 1995 until February of this year when it ended up in Ohio somehow. I will be getting it rustproofed (Krown) as soon as that's feasible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HiFlow:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480138/4Runner_jpg-3213983.JPG

That's super clean looking for over half a million miles!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SAE:
Rub the paint job down with compound and then build up the clear coat with several very good products that are out there now.

It has potential to still look very good I think.

IM me and I'll let you know what I use to get a really good luxurious shine and protectant as well.

For the base shine I use "Great White," paste wax.

This is good when your clear coat is experiencing summertime in the searing heat.

Congratulations!
Go for it.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/87088.JPG

Similar color to my 99.
View Quote

I'd even go so far as to say it's the exact color.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Get some tires on it and let's do some wheeling!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tacocat:
Older 4runners are the new jeep cherokees around here.

I know that bad boy smells like cigarettes and stale mountain dew.
View Quote

My brother's HS buddy had what was probably the rarest configuration that Jeep made- a 2 door, 2wd Cherokee. 2 door Cherokees are neat but the 2wd part had me doing this face.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Update: I brought it home today. Found some surprises inside! Will update when I have the chance later this week.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Update: I brought it home today. Found some surprises inside! Will update when I have the chance later this week.
View Quote

Nice!!! Keep us posted for sure!

@ me if you wind up needing parts and I'll post the company I got the harnesses from. They seem to specialize in salvaging older yotas for parts and were great to work with.

Little update for mine... Harnesses arrived. I'll probably spend some of this weekend hitting all the connectors with contact cleaner, checking for any cuts or breaks, and re-wrapping the full lengths so they look all new and spiffy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By billpete:

I had a 4x4 version of this, and we called the engine 3.slow.  It was way underpowered.  The automatics were even worse--at least with a manual you could run the engine the best way possible.

Good in you OP--should be a fun project for sure.
View Quote

The 3.slow was so bad it actually killed sales for the Nissan 3.0 that was a very good motor.

I think the OP over paid and should have been given $600 to take a 2WD, automatic 4 runner with a 3.slow. Only motor I have ever experienced that the head gasket was a regular maintenance item like changing the oil and almost as frequent. Last one I had the displeasure of dealing with had 7 head gaskets and 200,000 miles before the automatic shat it's self.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Last one I had the displeasure of dealing with had 7 head gaskets and 200,000 miles before the automatic shat it's self.
View Quote
Interesting, I was under the impression that a revised head gasket mostly solved the problem.  (not a gen 2 expert)

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By thezentree:
Tons and forties or go home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:
Plenty of 4x4 donors out there. Give it a makeover.
View Quote

There ya go
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Nah. I like skinny women and I don't have the 'beetus. No insult intended toward Midcap!
View Quote

He might take that as a slight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#28]
It's hard to go wrong at $600.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Great buy!!

I have a 96 with the 3.4L/5 speed manual.  It needs a hood, fender, and bumper because someone hit a deer with it.  For $1,200, I couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Great buy!!

I have a 96 with the 3.4L/5 speed manual.  It needs a hood, fender, and bumper because someone hit a deer with it.  For $1,200, I couldn't pass it up.
View Quote
If I remember my stats correctly, <5% of 3rd gens were manuals, and a lot of those were 4 bangers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like an awesome project car
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Looking forward to your $7000 4x4 parts truck purchase thread
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Nice!  I'm surprised it didn't sell locally.  
View Quote

2WD in OH is almost guaranteed to be a southern vehicle. Same here in WI. People in snow country will not buy a 2WD SUV new and sellers of used ones have to severely discount them because of the "I need 4WD" mindset. I look for those 'Runners because, IMO, they tend to be an awesome transportation bargain, even with 250K miles on them.

I'm on my second 3rd Gen 2WD 4Runner. First, and I still have it, is a '97 with the 2.7 4-cylinder engine that was originally from TX or LA. The second is a '99 with the 3.4 V-6 that was brought here from AZ. Seller did not understand the huge difference between the AZ and WI markets.

The 4Runners have good weight distribution, much better than a pickup. With good rear tires (anybody remember "snow tires"?) they will go through a fair amount of snow.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Not bad. Didn't have that specific engine in our lineup Lexus side, but I was told the nic name for that V6 was the slip-n-slide. Cause you always had to slip and slide new head gaskets in.
View Quote

That and the 3.0 engine was also referred to as the "3-slow". 3rd Gen with 3.4 is way better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Nah. I like skinny women and I don't have the 'beetus. No insult intended toward Midcap!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:
So MIDCAP has several different names....................

"I know a guy" that enjoyed some "quality time" in the back of his 4Runner with a petite little thing. "If this 'Runner is rockin".......
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By vmax84:
Part it out.     The turbo is worth what u paid for it.

View Quote

Huh, "turbo"?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Lmao, is that leather? You stole that thing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#38]

I've purchased, fixed-up, and daily driven many high-mileage vehicles just for the hell of it. So far my odds have been pretty good with not getting a dud.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NY12ga:
Nice! How many miles?

Sign up over at toyota-4runner.org and you’ll get all the info and help you need fixing her up. It’s the arfcom of the 4Runner world

Same here.

ETA: rust is a given here in WI. I will buy a rusty vehicle if I have some confidence that there is some service life left in it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#39]

I was hoping somebody would so that I wouldn't buy another project to have to work on.
View Quote

@14BoltFF if you want to sell it and makes sone profit once it’s fixed pm me.  I’m finally about to upgrade from my old Corolla.  And I bet im less than 2 hours from you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

Huh, "turbo"?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmax84:
Part it out.     The turbo is worth what u paid for it.

Huh, "turbo"?

Yeah, I was a little curious where the turbo on a 3VZ is as well

OP, have you seen where the oil filter is yet?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@14BoltFF if you want to sell it and makes sone profit once it’s fixed pm me.  I’m finally about to upgrade from my old Corolla.  And I bet im less than 2 hours from you.
View Quote

Well stop by if you do

OP don't sell it to him though!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

I had a friend who owned one briefly.

He took a TRD sticker and added a 'U'.   It was indeed a turd.... all of the 4Runner disadvantages, but without the main advantage.

View Quote

I call everything TRD "turd" to the point I just think it in my head now.  When looking at 4Runner, I actually said I was looking for a "turd off road" to the salesman.  He chuckled.  :D
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#43]
For $600, I was expecting a lot worse.  A lot worse.  I've seen clapped out shit worse than that online for several thousand.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Cool! Had a ‘92 that was the same body style, bought new with a 5-speed. Really liked it. Can’t believe the body looks that good!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#45]

2WD in OH is almost guaranteed to be a southern vehicle. Same here in WI. People in snow country will not buy a 2WD SUV new and sellers of used ones have to severely discount them because of the "I need 4WD" mindset. I look for those 'Runners because, IMO, they tend to be an awesome transportation bargain, even with 250K miles on them.

I'm on my second 3rd Gen 2WD 4Runner. First, and I still have it, is a '97 with the 2.7 4-cylinder engine that was originally from TX or LA. The second is a '99 with the 3.4 V-6 that was brought here from AZ. Seller did not understand the huge difference between the AZ and WI markets.

The 4Runners have good weight distribution, much better than a pickup. With good rear tires (anybody remember "snow tires"?) they will go through a fair amount of snow.
View Quote

I’ve had 2 and 4wd and never came close to getting stuck in either one. 4 inches of snow and some muddy ruts on flooded dirt roads is about all put them through. With high mileage I would prefer 2WD because there’s so much less stuff to wear out. Those weird noises really irk me when I’m far from home and there’s just a lot less with 2WD. The room to put in a better engine makes it particularly good with a three 3ZVE. I’ve had two Tacomas with electric locking rear differential, but never in a Toyota SUV. Put a mechanical locker in a lifted Suburban. So fun in the snow. On my 2009 it would work at any speed. It was a TRD off-road 2WD. It would do these lazy slow motion donuts. Felt like a hovercraft on ice. The 2000 model was 4wd and would only engage in 4 low but there’s a wire you can ground to allow use any speed in 2WD. Long and controllable sweeping fishtails. Not sure I’d try that on a single cab short box though. OK I would but might pucker a little.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I was hoping somebody would so that I wouldn't buy another project to have to work on.

I'll keep you in mind.

Originally Posted By laxman09:

Well stop by if you do

OP don't sell it to him though!!

I'll set up an ARF auction and you and bdover can try to outbid each other.

Update: Finally started going through the interior. There was a lot of crap left behind, including a full piss bottle from the drive to Ohio from Georgia. There was a bunch of paperwork with the names and addresses of the former owners/passengers. There was spare fluids, bulbs, a new water pump, a fuel filter, a bible, loose change, and cigarillo wrappers. There's some metal skid-plate looking piece that I'm not sure about. Once I got all that stuff out, I vacuumed the cargo area and pull up the carpet. The metal underneath is in great shape. I started soaking the interior plastics with a stain and grime remover to conduct an initial wipe-down.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Guaranteed there's a bag of weed somewhere in there.
View Quote

A bag? There's a full plant growing between the seats!

OP - since it's only 2WD, why did you want it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:
Lmao, is that leather? You stole that thing.
View Quote

Yes! The lumbar areas of the front seats are in piss-poor condition, though (exposed foam). They will need recovered. The seat cushions are in decent condition.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FALex:

A bag? There's a full plant growing between the seats!

OP - since it's only 2WD, why did you want it?
View Quote

The tobacco from cigarillos was all over, so I can imagine there was weed in it at some point.
As to why I wanted a 2WD? I've always been a 4X4 guy, but for $600 and no rust, I figured why not?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#50]
Yikes, is that a piss bottle?

A cheap steam sprayer is the best carpet cleaner I’ve found. Doesn’t damage the fibers. Blot dry with an old towel then air dry.
Page / 4
Top Top