User Panel

Thoughts on WWII SMGs (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:

I've never really read of a good way to suppress the Sterling without having to make permanent changes to parts. Is there a better way than boring out the end cap and extending the barrel? I've always been interested in the Sterling, but my perception that it is difficult to suppress has kept me away from it.
View Quote

I’d like to repeat this question from page 1.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Save up them pennies.  

You can't beat a Thompson.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-d25fd4917d80e8987602e2634850f904-lq
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

I'd like to repeat this question from page 1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've never really read of a good way to suppress the Sterling without having to make permanent changes to parts. Is there a better way than boring out the end cap and extending the barrel? I've always been interested in the Sterling, but my perception that it is difficult to suppress has kept me away from it.

I'd like to repeat this question from page 1.
Have you seen this? https://oldarmsofidaho.com/product/stingerworx-silencer-mount-for-l2a3-sterling-smg-1-375x24-threads-for-hub-mount-suppressors/
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sleestakwhisperer:  Save up them pennies.  

You can't beat a Thompson.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-d25fd4917d80e8987602e2634850f904-lq
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I did an extended barrel in my Sterling and the exit hole only required minimal "cleaning up" with a drill bit.  Very little metal was removed, so calling this a "boring out" would not be accurate.  You could not tell by eye that the hole had been altered.  The problem these days is finding someone to make the extended barrel.  Mine was done by Scott Andrey, but he has been out of that business for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Silverbear_51:

I did an extended barrel in my Sterling and the exit hole only required minimal "cleaning up" with a drill bit.  Very little metal was removed, so calling this a "boring out" would not be accurate.  You could not tell by eye that the hole had been altered.  The problem these days is finding someone to make the extended barrel.  Mine was done by Scott Andrey, but he has been out of that business for a long time.
View Quote

I spoke with Andrewski about it, and he indicated he has done it. The conversation was more in the form of the hypothetical though, so I am not sure if he will do it at this time. I believe he indicated that at one point he had a supply of bulged Sterling barrels that he was chopping up to make extensions but that he may no longer have such a supply. It didn’t entirely make sense to me at the time, so it’s possible I misunderstood what he was saying. Nevertheless, seems like a problem that could be overcome if he’s willing to take on the job. One of those extended 3-lugs might do the trick, though I’ve wondered if the stub at the muzzle is long enough to thread for a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand the reference to using bulged barrels either.  The barrel he made for me certainly wasn't pieced together.  I hope he will work with you as he does really good work when he does accept a job.  Good luck.

And FWIW, nothing compares to the Thompson in regards to WW II SMGs.  Yeah, it's a heavy bitch with a buttstock that was designed for aliens or something, but there is no more iconic subgun for Americans.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]

No, but I do now!   Thanks.  Ordering it.

Originally Posted By Silverbear_51:

View Quote

I sent a couple of emails, got returned via server.   Assumed he was no longer in that business.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Thoughts on WWII SMGs (Page 4 of 4)
Top Top