BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Fast, loud, brutal, and 100% awesome.
Used to love seeing them perform at airshows as a kid. The ability of the E model to accelerate in vertical flight was always the most impressive to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It's pure sex with a smokin' ass!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah, it's like the WS6 Trans Am, bulgy and swoopy at teh same time...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
1980, Land of the Morning Calm…our CAV squadron headed up to Rodriquez for aerial gunnery…our OV-10 guys came with us as well….before long we were putting zoomies in the left seat of our 58s calling in fire and then a few got front seat G model rides to fire rockets and turret..the key was the PIC (old terminology) had authority for front seat rides…..and all we wanted in exchange was a bunny ride in a F4 from Kunsan….kept getting pushback….finally our OV-10 “friends” fessed up….bunny ride approval authority was the 4 Star PACAF CG…..damn, rooked again…..
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Pure sex.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TracksideWrong] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

Far as I'm aware as a mere enthusiast the only guns they had were added via a gun pod, never internally.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/no-internal-gun-and-smoking-engines-former-topgun-pilots-explain-why-us-navy-f-4s-initially-struggled-to-compete-with-north-vietnamese-mig-17-and-mig-21-fighters/

ETA: I was looking at Naval variants didn't realize they had put the Vulcan on the USAF F4-E.
View Quote

Long, long time Phantom nerd here, I have dozens of books on this aircraft and built god only knows how many models of this plane for as long as I can consciously remember. It has always been one of my most favorite aircraft and I have studied it voraciously since childhood. I wanted to fly Phantoms off carries for the Navy.

The Navy/Marine versions of the F-4 the B,J,N and S were all "short" nose Phantoms that never had a gun mounted internally. Some people have mistaken the IR sensor under the nose of the B and N as a gun fairing. N models were rebuilt B models and S models were rebuilt J models.

The Air Force C and D models were also "short" nose variants also without an internal gun and almost all had the same or similar IR sensor under the radome as the Navy B/N. The E was the first version to have an internal mounted gun and the German F model did as well. The Air Force Wild Weasel F-4G replaced the gun with electronics in a fairing in place of the gun for the dedicated electronics and sensors to support the mission so they did not have a gun mounted either, but it looked like they did and that is understandable since they were rebuilt/modified E aircraft.

The Phantoms used by the RAF and RN were short noses as well.

I have always thought the Phantom was a beautiful aircraft in it's own unique way that really isn't matched by any other before or since. It shows purpose and skill in it's design,  American know how and a no nonsense approach to achieve a solution in a direct, but powerful way. It exudes intent and menace with it's lines, the angles of the outer wings combined with the stabs added to the intakes and splitter plates just say to any and all, I may not be the best, but I am not to be trifled with. Finesse is not it's strong point, it simply muscles it's way to accomplish it's mission with a no holds barred, no fear, lets just get this done with the appropriate amount of violence needed!

One of history's great aircraft.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Not ugly, a highlight of my childhood was going to Atlantic Beach NC and seeing F4’s flying over, l loved the sound. I still go there often and always look up for military traffic!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell, yes, it's ugly AND it's coming to fuck you up!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:
Confidence is sexy.  They flew the F4 directly into enemy AA weaponry... on purpose as a defensive tactic.

https://media.defense.gov/2006/Sep/08/2000543520/-1/-1/0/060908-F-1234S-001.JPG
View Quote

Original Wild Weasels were the F105. Just saying.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#11]
It's no F14 but it's still sexy as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Triumphman:

Watch u talkin 'bout Willis. The F4, other than decommissioned or specific Radar models had a 20mm 6 barrel Vulcan gattling gun under the nose shroud. I've loaded many an F4 with 2K rounds with my team when in service during the early/mid 70's.

View Quote

Only gay USAF F-4s got a gun. Real manly short nose Navy Phantoms didn't get no stinking gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#13]
The F-4 screams "AMERICA"  That alone makes it beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, pretty airframe honestly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#15]
anybody that flew an F4 was a dude, man...
this dude flew them with just cameras

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]
It's ugly. If you think it's a sexy airplane, then

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Form follows function
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#18]
It is ugly.

But it was designed for purpose, with brutal practicality in mind.

Which makes it not ugly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#19]
I always thought it was ugly but functional for its time.

It was always a POS mx nightmare.

The F16 is a much better aircraft in appearance and function.

The F35 is better than the F16 in functionality but is a fat Amy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never thought it was an aesthetically pleasing airplane. I felt bad calling is ugly because its not. Its just a very function driven airplane.

To me the later Spitfires and  P-51s are examples of good looking airplanes.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]
The F-4 is as ugly as a bucket full of fresh cut hemorrhoid's that were going Mach 2 when they hit the wall.

Now, on the other hand, the sexy, sleek and racy KC-97L stratotanker sophisticated war machine that I refueled them with is an aeronautical beauty!

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Love them in the camo paint.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Kind of a butterface.  I think it looks the best from the back
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#25]
It was a flying brick. Until they put guns on it, it was only half a fighter. and a filthy one at that. The Sparrow missile in Vietnam had a probability kill of 10%. The F-4 only carried 4. Until they put guns on it, it took a brave soul to go into combat with it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#26]
It looks "muscular"

Off Vietnam in the mid 60's our Destroyer had a number of high speed, just above the wave tops, fly overs by them.
Even knowing the direction they were coming from there was scant visual , radar, or audible evidence of their approach until
just before they went roaring overhead.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top