User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AngryNagant:
In front of Publix and at her school mainly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FGracing:

That is an impressive number to sell. How did she do that?
In front of Publix and at her school mainly.

So a lesson was learned. The sales can be increased at a high-volume area, and the seller can profit.

That's a lesson. Much better than a parent bringing a sales sheet to work.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Rifle_length:
My coworkers know I'll buy all the World's Finest Chocolate that their kids can supply.
View Quote
We look for people like you My son sold several boxes door to door and I sold a couple at work. WFH put a damper on in office sales.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in elementary (k-6) we were forced to sell magazine subscriptions by the school district a couple years (5th and 6th grade). Had to sell so much or you got afterschool detention. I do remember a whole lot of really pissed off parents over it. Mom took mine back to the school and told them to pound sand and she will come pick me up if they try to keep me afterschool. Mom and the school superintendant were on first names basis due to all the shit I went though with my teachers and principal in 2-3rd grades.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
When it came to instilling a work ethic, you couldn't top my father.

Even as a young boy in Cub Scouts when it came to selling things my father wouldn't let me try to sell stuff on our block. As he said, " I don't want the neighbors to feel obligated to buy from you, and an easy sale doesn't teach you the lessons you can learn from this."

Now adults bring a sales sheet to work for everything their kid is supposed to sell. I can't even get into how many ways that practice annoys me.
View Quote

I’m sure you do enough to annoy the millennials as it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I coached a high school robotics team for years.

That stuff is seriously expensive and it's an extra curricular academic club type thing- not a DOE funded thing where the equipment is purchased for them like the 'sports' teams.

The robot parts and competition fees and travel expenses means real money is involved. Only way is to fundraise it and get sponsorships from local businesses.

It was seriously difficult and stressful.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont mind if they bring something that doesn't suck ir is stupidly overpriced.

Scout popcorn is a fucking ripoff - sorry/not sorry

GS cookies have gone down hill ... Bigly.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:
The things some people get the vapors about, I swear
View Quote

For real. I really have no idea what the fuck OP is miffed about.

I'm 37 and this was a common practice when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Even as a young boy in Cub Scouts when it came to selling things my father wouldn't let me try to sell stuff on our block. As he said, " I don't want the neighbors to feel obligated to buy from you, and an easy sale doesn't teach you the lessons you can learn from this."

Now adults bring a sales sheet to work for everything their kid is supposed to sell. I can't even get into how many ways that practice annoys me.

I’m also sure I have enough square inches on my ass that you won’t miss.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Coworker brings a list of Girl Scout cookies his daughter sls each year. She racks up in our hangar. I buy 4 or 5 boxes each year.

The wife buys from the daughters of various coworkers of hers. It helps the little ones out. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By midcap:
shit....the local girl scouts are slacking...not a damn single one ever knocked on my door to sell cookies...I'd easily drop $100 without thinking twice.
View Quote

Did you forget to park your “Free Candy” van in back of the house?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Coworker brings a list of Girl Scout cookies his daughter sls each year. She racks up in our hangar. I buy 4 or 5 boxes each year.

The wife buys from the daughters of various coworkers of hers. It helps the little ones out. I don't see anything wrong with it.
View Quote

Somewhere along the line it went from a fundraiser that allowed the kids to learn sales skills from, to be a contest among the parents. Much like the parents ruined the lessons of the pinewood derby.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#13]
They've always done that.

And I don't mind helping a cracker out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By norseman1:
I dont mind if they bring something that doesn't suck ir is stupidly overpriced.

Scout popcorn is a fucking ripoff - sorry/not sorry

GS cookies have gone down hill ... Bigly.

View Quote

I won't buy anything from them due to their going woke and friendly with LGBT anyway...don't care how good they are.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been hit up … and bought

Then it was my turn and they bought

The circle
Of life

I always saw it as normal
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Somewhere along the line it went from a fundraiser that allowed the kids to learn sales skills from, to be a contest among the parents. Much like the parents ruined the lessons of the pinewood derby.
View Quote

There are some miserable mofos on this site.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#17]
how else would I get my Girl Scout Cookie (GSC) fix?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#18]

True. "Now" has been for decades, it's still wrong.
View Quote

My wife and I were both supervisors so we never brought those things in because our people might feel pressured to buy from us.  However, there is nothing wrong with a non-supervisor bringing in sign up sheets for school fundraisers or selling whatever candy, cookies, popcorn, etc some youth organization is using to raise funds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:01:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#19]
deleted
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rifle_length:
My coworkers know I'll buy all the World's Finest Chocolate that their kids can supply.
View Quote
I was in a dive bar a few days ago.  Bartender had a candy box.  Bar fly dude zero'd in and asked bartender chick how many she had left.  He bought every one in the box.  

No pressure.  I didn't even see the candy until he bought it all.  He may have doubled his investment at the maryjuwannapot skunkweed store next door.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't really have that much when I worked at the office.  But it didn't bother me. I always liked a few cookies or chocolate as an afternoon snake.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#22]
Previous boss a while back sold a bunch of shit, similar to scamway, that his wife was into.  Fairly major multinational corporation where we were employed.  He gave everyone their money back and cancelled their orders quickly.  

Not such a good idea in the workplace at some levels, it can be a career ender.

Sportsball pools and group lottery ticket buys are similar.  Some fuck blows an entire day of labor populating the pool and does nothing productive.  Lots of liability.  I haven't seen one of these in several years.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Growing up we lived in a really Great Neighborhood full of tons of white privilege.
My parents could afford a lot of stuff especially for us kids.
However giving away stuff to your children doesn't instill work ethics.

After about the age of 12 if I wanted something that wasn't a necessity I had to buy it myself..
Things like a stereo for my room or a bmx bike. dad would say you could use my lawnmower... Go hustle some yards..
Then after I made a couple hundred bucks he said I had the buy my own lawn mower.

I learned more than work ethics I also learned how to fix my own bike and mower.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Prior medical facility I worked in had a policy against in-person fundraiser/business soliciting amongst staff, due to people using high-pressure tactics/retribution/competition amongst sellers, etc.

They would allow a sign-up sheet/donation box/notification to be placed in breakrooms for folks who wanted to buy/donate.

Apparently, there had been quite the cat-fight at some point in the past when more than one employee started selling Mary Kay at work.

A lot of medical facilities have a policy against any fundraiser soliciting on their property because they don't want patients stroking out from eating entire cases of GS cookies/candy bars/popcorn in the parking lot...it would be the kids-fundraiser equivalent of hunting over bait with automatic-weapons in a nature preserve.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead502:
Prior medical facility I worked in had a policy against in-person fundraiser/business soliciting amongst staff, due to people using high-pressure tactics/retribution/competition amongst sellers, etc.

They would allow a sign-up sheet/donation box/notification to be placed in breakrooms for folks who wanted to buy/donate.

Apparently, there had been quite the cat-fight at some point in the past when more than one employee started selling Mary Kay at work.

A lot of medical facilities have a policy against any fundraiser soliciting on their property because they don't want patients stroking out from eating entire cases of GS cookies/candy bars/popcorn in the parking lot...it would be the kids-fundraiser equivalent of hunting over bait with automatic-weapons in a nature preserve.
View Quote
Yes, personally saw some cunt at an outpatient imaging site take donations for some "employee sick child" cause.  She then stole all of the money.  There was no recourse since it was against company policy.  Everyone hated her.  Lovely work environment in that place, luckily the corporation divested in that business.  Fuck them all. I hope she rots.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Yes, personally saw some cunt at an outpatient imaging site take donations for some "employee sick child" cause.  She then stole all of the money.  There was no recourse since it was against company policy.  Everyone hated her.  Lovely work environment in that place, luckily the corporation divested in that business.  Fuck them all. I hope she rots.
View Quote

Medical patients and staff seem to be a blend of the absolute best and worst of humanity. If I weren't already so close to middle-age, I would be tempted go back to school for a psychology credential just so I could perform a study on personality traits amongst medical staff and patients.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#27]
My kids don't participate in shit like that.  I explained to them the cost of labor and how the prizes aren't worth the time spent. You could buy the prizes for less than an hour worth of real work. They realized real quick they were being taken advantage of .
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By nvroundman:
Meh. I always bought the cookies, popcorn or whatever snacks they were selling and then left them out for my staff. A small thing to help the kids.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By baitdragger:
Someone at work left a Brunswick stew sale sheet out.   A guy who is annoying signed up for 4 quarts.
I might have walked by when it appeared he signed up for 40 quarts.

I thought the lady selling him was going to blow him on delivery day.

I paid the $200 later in the day, it was well worth the laughs.  Watching him try to find a freezer at work for 40 quarts was amazing.

This asshole also walked around in his socks to the copy machine.  His shoes spent the day above his desk in his ceiling tile.
View Quote

Shoeless fucks should be fired.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:
The things some people get the vapors about, I swear
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#31]
This is what I do.  Find out how much their cut of the item is.  $2 on a $10 item?  $5 on $20?  If you support the kid/family/organization...just cut them a check for the org sans item.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#32]
geez, right now I'm selling gun raffles at work for my kid! Everybody seems to love them!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Back when I was a kid, 80s, we would sell like candy bars, beef sticks, taffy etc. It was for the baseball league. Nice thing was we just had a big paper bag full of stuff. No signing a sheet and getting the items a month later. My mom would bring me to a couple of dive bars. Funny how fast you can sell all that stuff when it's in hand and people are drunk lol They were happy as can be when I was walking around with a bag a junk food, a dollar each lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
I hate when its those discount cards for businesses in towns I dont live near.

Im a fat American, give me cookies or overpriced popcorn.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By neostoicism:

What pressure?

I’ve got 5 kids.  They’ve collectively played: soccer, football, basketball, hockey, baseball and softball.

I don’t give a fuck what some coach is pushing me to do.  And if they’re putting “overwhelming” pressure on you, it sounds like a shitty organization/coaching staff who cares more about money than making kids good players.
View Quote

yup.  my kids arent in charge nor are their "coaches"
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Parents helping with fund raising has been a thing for 60+ years.

ZFG if someone does it as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Hey OP, when you were yelling at the clouds this morning, what did you tell them they did wrong this time?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#38]
I don't bring my kid's stuff in to work.
I don't typically buy from people who do.
I'm not opposed to it, it's just not a game I play.
I'm in the camp of "I'll just cut a check"
Not every parent is.
We still participate. I consider it volunteering/charity. It's good for my kid to have the experience.
Having said that I will not do door to door. Hated it as a kid. Refuse to do it with my kid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I used to buy two boxes of Girl Scout cookies for every one of my employees. I passed around the order forms. My daughter went door to door in our neighborhood selling the cookies.

She almost always won. My employees loved it, my daughter appreciated it and I’m sure her scout troop appreciated it.

A win all the way around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I always liked those fundraiser candy bars. And girl scout cookies go without saying.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I wish someone at work had a sign up sheet for Ottis Spunkmire Cookie dough.

Been craving it
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:42:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Martlet] [#43]

View Quote

I lugged that stupid Tom-Wat's box for miles as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:27:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#44]
Agree with the OP's dad. Don't bring that shit to work, and don't pester the neighbors.

What I really love is the "fundraising" that has nothing to do with raising funds. Multiple times I've said I'm not interested in the product, but would make a cash donation instead. It was almost always met with a blank stare and/or a parent saying "I don't think we can do that". You'd rather make pennies on the dollar and peddle some shitty overpriced snacks than to receive a cash donation?

I also hate it when they block the doors of a business to harass customers into buying shit. I avoid those places if at all possible.

To be clear, I like helping out people. I don't like shady high pressure sales under the guise of "fund raising".
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Agree with the OP's dad. Don't bring that shit to work, and don't pester the neighbors.

What I really love is the "fundraising" that has nothing to do with raising funds. Multiple times I've said I'm not interested in the product, but would make a cash donation instead. It was almost always met with a blank stare and/or a parent saying "I don't think we can do that". You'd rather make pennies on the dollar and peddle some shitty overpriced snacks than to receive a cash donation?
View Quote

I’ve argued that route for years. I know there’s probably some calculus around “if we could just raise X dollars per student, we could get the thing”. Just tell me what X is per kid and just let me donate that amount.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#46]
My kid's school had the easiest fundraiser this year.  They sent home a sheet that really said "Easy Fundraiser" at the top and you sent it back with $20 (or more if you wanted to).
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't be such a grinch. Do you know what would cheer you up?  Buying some Girl Scout cookies from my daughter. Last sale she sold over five hundred boxes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

It needs to be candy, and it needs to be passed around an office full of women.  That works.  Really, really well.

Everything else is bullshit.  Like my kid is going to be the Fuller Brush/Cutco Knives guy in this day and age.  "Door to door"...lol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
My kid's school had the easiest fundraiser this year.  They sent home a sheet that really said "Easy Fundraiser" at the top and you sent it back with $20 (or more if you wanted to).
View Quote

This is the way.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top