Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I feel the same way. $60 mags for a $350 gun just kills it for me. I would rather pay twice as much for a PTR and have reliable mags for $5 or less.

Having gone this route  ($220 for my Saiga12,  I've got $450in mags for it) I can tell you that you are looking at it wrong, at least from the shotguns pov.  There's a disparity because the shotgun was such a good deal, not because the mags were  such a bad deal.  For me, the Saiga12 is the only game in town (tho the USAS temps me, but I'll have to start lifting weights before I go that route).  If I was to build a comp shotty up from the ground, that was rem/benelli/browning/winchester based, I'd be into it for at least 600 (cheap used 1100 + parts), and possibly 1K or more.  I got in when the Saiga12 prices were good, but a $400 saiga with $600 worth of mags is still a lot better than the other routes.

But you are correct in the 308 field.  When you look at the entire package, it'll make more sense to spend more on the gun and less on the mags and get a FAL or PTR or ??? .... unless you only get a couple of mags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]
'cept I could never get either my PTR or my FAL to run 100%.  enough with these comparisons.  There is none.  unelss you get the DSA sniper or the PTR91A1, I say the saiga 308 (converted) is superior to either.
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd buy a couple.... I have been waiting for someone to make them since I bought my S12.

-C4-
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, the only reason you have $5 mags for your PTRs is that SEVERAL countires used that
same magazine for their main small arm for their military.  IT IS CALLED SURPLUS!!!!

The Saiga has never been fielded heavily by many countries and hence there is NO SURPLUS !

I think $59 for a mag is great.  I would buy more at $40 though...

LB
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish people would quit whining about $60 for a 8-10 round mag for the Saiga 12.  That is half the price of a Russian 8 rounder.

I would pay it for sure (and I do a own a Saiga 12, so please make it. Of course if it were less I would buy more, but $60 would not keep me from buying them at all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
'cept I could never get either my PTR or my FAL to run 100%.  enough with these comparisons.  There is none.  unelss you get the DSA sniper or the PTR91A1, I say the saiga 308 (converted) is superior to either.

Good point Chap.  I didn't realize these were finicky.  But if these are made  I WOULD sell my Cetme and land a Saiga.  I'm guessing that I have a half year to think about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point Chap.  I didn't realize these were finicky.  But if these are made  I WOULD sell my Cetme and land a Saiga.  I'm guessing that I have a half year to think about it.

i dont know about the PTR, but the FAL is not finicky.

First, let me tell everyone a little story.

Im a BIG fan of AKs. I love the design, the caliber, the simplicty, and the "character". my second rifle after my 10/22 was a WASR-10, which by now probaly has over 15k rounds through it. But, the AK wasn't enough. I felt i wanted something with more "power". I decided my next rifle would be 308. After MUCH research, and a 2004 tax refund in hand, i headed to gunbroker and got me a Saiga-308 with a 16 inch barrel.

For those of you who frequent saiga-12.com, you might remember around this time someone promising to bring 20rnd mags to the market. This later turned out to be a lie, but it was an important part of my decision. the Saiga without 20rnd mags seemed pointless to me. Once the fraud of the 20rnd mags was brought to light, i began to regret my decision. This was partly my fault, becuase i tried to turn the saiga into something it wasnt by putting a damn scope on it. I just didnt enjoy shooting it.

I sold it to a friend (I kept the scope!) and bought a CAI FAL on a Imbel receiver. it was a INCH/METRIC hybird, inch parts kit built on a metric IMBEL receiver. took INCH furniture, but receiver had correct cuts for metric mags. the rifle worked 100%, and i never had a single failure with it. But a saiga it was not. it was no were near as accurate, it was heavier, and i didnt like the apeture style sights.

Around this time my friend i sold the saiga to became my roommate. Decided to go shooting, and of course he brought the saiga i sold him, now sans scope. I had never enjoyed the saiga this much before? what was different? NO SCOPE! I felt like a dumbass. with the iron sights i was making jugs dance at 100yards without even trying. It was a light, handy 308 that looked (i had converted it to AK style before i sold it) and worked just like the AK's i loved.

Within a few weeks i had bought the saiga back, 2x the amount i sold it to him for. Even without 20 round mags, it had become enjoyable. being one to standarize, i got rid of the FAL for a couple AK parts kits. add in a few other deals i made around that time, and every rifle i now own except for that good ole 10/22 was an AK or based on the AK design.

There is NO OTHER .308 "battle rifle" superior to the saiga even CLOSE to the price range, and many of those that are more expensive would be put to shame by it.

If reliable 20rnd mags are ever produced in quanity, i believe the Saiga-308 converted would become the standard for which all other rifles in this catagory are compared. IT IS THAT GOOD.

so.... when will someone bring out these now mythical 20rnd Saiga mags? Even tromix gave up on them! I don't know when, but for this rifle, im willing to wait!

Link Posted: 5/24/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with everything, but my DSA carbine was a jammomatic out of the box for a while.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is NO OTHER .308 "battle rifle" superior to the saiga even CLOSE to the price range, and many of those that are more expensive would be put to shame by it.

Yes there is. VEPR.
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is. VEPR.

true.... but same difference if you ask me.  I've had a couple of both and liked all of em.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Im in for saiga 12 mags. I'd keep em' under $50 though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i dont know about the PTR, but the FAL is not finicky.

First, let me tell everyone a little story.

Im a BIG fan of AKs. I love the design, the caliber, the simplicty, and the "character". my second rifle after my 10/22 was a WASR-10, which by now probaly has over 15k rounds through it. But, the AK wasn't enough. I felt i wanted something with more "power". I decided my next rifle would be 308. After MUCH research, and a 2004 tax refund in hand, i headed to gunbroker and got me a Saiga-308 with a 16 inch barrel.

For those of you who frequent saiga-12.com, you might remember around this time someone promising to bring 20rnd mags to the market. This later turned out to be a lie, but it was an important part of my decision. the Saiga without 20rnd mags seemed pointless to me. Once the fraud of the 20rnd mags was brought to light, i began to regret my decision. This was partly my fault, becuase i tried to turn the saiga into something it wasnt by putting a damn scope on it. I just didnt enjoy shooting it.

I sold it to a friend (I kept the scope!) and bought a CAI FAL on a Imbel receiver. it was a INCH/METRIC hybird, inch parts kit built on a metric IMBEL receiver. took INCH furniture, but receiver had correct cuts for metric mags. the rifle worked 100%, and i never had a single failure with it. But a saiga it was not. it was no were near as accurate, it was heavier, and i didnt like the apeture style sights.

Around this time my friend i sold the saiga to became my roommate. Decided to go shooting, and of course he brought the saiga i sold him, now sans scope. I had never enjoyed the saiga this much before? what was different? NO SCOPE! I felt like a dumbass. with the iron sights i was making jugs dance at 100yards without even trying. It was a light, handy 308 that looked (i had converted it to AK style before i sold it) and worked just like the AK's i loved.

Within a few weeks i had bought the saiga back, 2x the amount i sold it to him for. Even without 20 round mags, it had become enjoyable. being one to standarize, i got rid of the FAL for a couple AK parts kits. add in a few other deals i made around that time, and every rifle i now own except for that good ole 10/22 was an AK or based on the AK design.

If reliable 20rnd mags are ever produced in quanity, i believe the Saiga-308 converted would become the standard for which all other rifles in this catagory are compared. IT IS THAT GOOD.

so.... when will someone bring out these now mythical 20rnd Saiga mags? Even tromix gave up on them! I don't know when, but for this rifle, im willing to wait!

Dude, stop.  You are making me want a Saiga .308 (or VEPR).
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I would be in for a few S12 mags @ $60 but $50 would be better
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure the Saiga's shtoguns are 10 rounds!
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Any chance of making a 20 rounder for a PSL/ ROMAK-3 in 7.62x54R? or is the rimmed cartridge too troublesome for high cap mags?
Link Posted: 5/30/2006 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
dozen 308 20 rounders at $40 each for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2006 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Any chance of making a 20 rounder for a PSL/ ROMAK-3 in 7.62x54R? or is the rimmed cartridge too troublesome for high cap mags?

I think that was always the problem.... how the rims stacked...
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates?  I'm this close (----> <----) to getting a saiga 12, but I won't if mags aren't available.

R
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd pay $45-50 for a 20 round mag.
Misc
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Id pay $30 shipped for a S12 mag and not a penny more
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I would be interested in S-12 10 rounders for $59 each. I don't compete with it either.
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]
@ 45-50, I am in for  4.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top