Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2023 7:18:41 AM EDT
I remember a few years back reading a thread about a project involving 3-D printed valmet mags.  The OP was making some and giving them to guys to test out.  I checked back once in a while to see what the latest news was on it.  Eventually the thread died out and multiple people would post asking for updates.  I’m hoping this will reach that OP to see if he ever came up with a working solution.  Here’s my M76 in 5.56 just to keep the dream alive.
" />
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Will a Galil mag work in your Valmet?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t have one to test with.  From the slight bit of reading I’ve done I see that the feed angle of the galil mags doesn’t work in the valmet without being converted.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The Galil magazines lock up in the Valmet just fine. They then feed the bullet into the bottom of the barrel face. This can smack the bullet deep into the case of the cartridge. The Valmet feeds the rounds with significant energy, so, the cartridge may well then be fed fully into the barrel and fired with detrimental effects to both the firearm and the shooter.

If you do not value your fingers, face, rifle, please realize that you may also have an impact on whether the rest of us may have nice things after a civil suit because of such foolishness.

This is ANCIENT news. There were magazines which could be made to work. But most, like the East German Weigers, are long out of stock and no longer inexpensive when found.

This is the pressure that is driving the development of the 3-D printed magazines. STILL trying to be patient, it will eventually happen, looking into a 3D printer myself at this point.

DB
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DBrown:
The Galil magazines lock up in the Valmet just fine. They then feed the bullet into the bottom of the barrel face. This can smack the bullet deep into the case of the cartridge. The Valmet feeds the rounds with significant energy, so, the cartridge may well then be fed fully into the barrel and fired with detrimental effects to both the firearm and the shooter.

If you do not value your fingers, face, rifle, please realize that you may also have an impact on whether the rest of us may have nice things after a civil suit because of such foolishness.

This is ANCIENT news. There were magazines which could be made to work. But most, like the East German Weigers, are long out of stock and no longer inexpensive when found.

This is the pressure that is driving the development of the 3-D printed magazines. STILL trying to be patient, it will eventually happen, looking into a 3D printer myself at this point.

DB
View Quote

DB,

Have you found a file for a printed mag for the Valmet? I tried looking with no luck
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DBrown] [#5]
If I had such a file, I would immediately share it here. I also would already own a printer...

DB

PS. The warning about using Galil .223 magazines in the Valmet is serious. Please do not try this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had such a file, I would immediately share it here. I also would already own a printer...

DB

PS. The warning about using Galil .223 magazines in the Valmet is serious. Please do not try this.
View Quote

Yeah no intentions here to mess with that
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Zastava steel M85 mags can be modified to work with the Valmet 5.56mm rifles. You just need to shave some of the metal directly above the front locking lug.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:37:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nimrag] [#8]
I emailed with him back and forth about the 3D printed magazines. His brother was making them and moved and had just got his printer set up, but then I didn’t hear back from him. I am sending him an email with a link to this thread.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]

DB
View Quote

Sorry for the slow reply
@DBrown Would a bullet guide added below the barrel solve that problem?

Example:
https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/bullet-guides-s/1931.htm
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DBrown] [#10]
Edited to Add: This forum has a thread, Alternative valmet 223 magazines. It documents the changes needed for the Zastava M-85/90 and the Bulgarian plastic 5.56 magazines. So, MickB has provided a good solution using one of the readily available magazines. I know that the bullet guide solution has been done, but, to document it would require I install some very old hard drives, which I kept just for information like this...

Both the M-71 and M-76 are fairly expensive and relatively rare. It is not that more will not be imported, but rather, they and the M-95 are no longer made at all. The Valmet and Sako equipment which made them no longer exists.

So, I would not start with modifying the firearm. EVEN if it can be done and COULD be made to work. This is not wise. I understand the rifle is expensive, I understand that ammunition is becoming expensive. I understand wanting to shoot and shooting a collectable firearm. I suggest either spending the money on the correct magazines, which are expensive as well. Or finding out which magazines are readily available that can be made to work and realize that this no longer inexpensive either.

I eventually, will get to the point where I where I can print and would trust my magazines. But, I am a very old full time student training myself for an entirely different vocation, who already possesses some Valmet magazines. When I get to this point, I will happily share information. I have also been encouraging several other Valmet owners to do the same. Eventually this will happen. Valmets teach and test patience. Well they do, if your hobbies have a limited budget. The individuals who shoot Valmets used to network for parts. As original parts are now very limited it is sourcing new parts like this which keeps owners coming back to AR15.com.

DB
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:30:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DBrown] [#11]
Years before I joined this site I was a member of a similar site that included the Mitchell Arms Zastava rifles with the Valmets and the Galils. At least that is how I remember it being organized.

I have owned Valmets, Galils, and Zastava rifles. I will not sell my Valmets as they can not be replaced. But wisdom suggests I should sell the Valmets for the very same reason. And switch to either Galils or Zastava.

If pondering change, maybe big change or heresy should be considered. The new CZ Bren, Scar17, or maybe the Templar ACR. Edited: from one unicorn to another, ACR with 6.5grendel barrel and Csspecs mags?

I know how my rifles behave, and their limits. It would be just horrible to become familiar with something new.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Every so often - twice in the past 5 years, I will see a 223/556 Valmet on the used rack of a gun shop. Usually with a tube stock. I've always passed on them knowing magazines are impossible to find. I usually play the game - "guess the price" before looking at the price tag.

Looking at gunbroker just now for Valmet Magazines, I will continue to pass on buying 223/556 Valmets.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Gun-Parts/search?Keywords=valmet%20magazine

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By drobs:
Every so often - twice in the past 5 years, I will see a 223/556 Valmet on the used rack of a gun shop. Usually with a tube stock. I've always passed on them knowing magazines are impossible to find. I usually play the game - "guess the price" before looking at the price tag.

Looking at gunbroker just now for Valmet Magazines, I will continue to pass on buying 223/556 Valmets.

View Quote

Send me those deals. I have a supply of mags and no Valmet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

The Valmets I saw were all priced at the going rate. So $3k+

If you have 5.56 mags, you might put a bid in on this one:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1026956621
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 3:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#15]

The Valmets I saw were all priced at the going rate. So $3k+

If you have 5.56 mags, you might put a bid in on this one:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1026956621
View Quote

$3k for a M76 is a steal these days. I would snap that up. I paid less for a machine gun than what a good M76 can go for.

I don't deal with GunJoker. I will deal directly with a brick and mortar or an individual.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I posted my converted Bulgarian 556 mag here a long time ago.  The process was simply filing the back 'ledge' of the magazine to allow it to rock in, that was it.  I checked feeding using my hand loaded dummy rounds (brass case + FMJ bullet) and the feeding angle is perfect.  These Bulgarian 556 magazines are not that hard to find now so you might want to give it a try.

To echo another member here, do not use Galil magazine, the feeding angle is way too low. I'd tried and watched the dummy round bullet hitting the barrel's chamber edge, pushing it into the case
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#17]
never mind
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:15:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GmBolos] [#18]
What would be a ballpark estimate for an M76 , Fiskars bayonet, scope mount, 3 factory 30  rd mags and 4 mcp mags?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GmBolos:
What would be a ballpark estimate for an M76 , Fiskars bayonet, scope mount, 3 factory 30  rd mags and 4 mcp mags?
View Quote

Dunno. Got any input on 3D printed Valmet mags or just trying to jack a thread for something you want to sell?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
https://csm-w.com/product/valmet-m76-223-30rd-magazine/

I remember walking into C&S when I was in college, and I always ran into a .223 or 308 Valmet for sale on their wall. I really wish I would have spent $1500 to get one.

Anyhow they have three for sale. I hope someone can 3D print or mold some mags for you guys. The steel Zastava M85 mag solution sounds better though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the Metal Werks info!
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top