Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2024 3:16:50 AM EDT
Several years ago I picked up a 2,400 rds of 8mm Bulgy milsurp.  Unfortunately, as warned, it’s pretty much all click-bang, hang-fire due to poor primers.  The insides of the cases is pretty much clean and for the most part all fire.

I spoke to a buddy that reloads and as a cost analysis for 2,400 rounds:  New Siera Matchking FMJ bullets @ .52/ea will run $1,248 and if he figures 1lb of powder will fill 150rds @ $52/lb = $832.  So bullets and powder for 2,400rd will approximate $2,080.  Sounds spendy.  Does that sound right?

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Reuse the bullets.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My first thought is, the issue is bad primers, why are you replacing the bullets and the powder and not the primers?

One option would be to pull the bullets, dump the powder, replace the primers and reuse the bullets and powder.
It's easy enough to weigh the bullets and several of the powder charges as you pull them and determine the average powder charge and simply reconstruct the ammo with good primers.

If you don't like the idea of re-using the powder,
a second option would be to dump everything and just replace the primers and powder, reuse the bullets.

a third option would be to go ahead and replace the primers, bullets and powder, but use a cheaper bullet.
There are certainly cheaper 8mm bullets available.

Finally, you can do a combination of all of the above. Nothing says you have to do all 2400 rounds at once.
8mm brass is expensive and getting harder to come by.

As a side note, I'm surprised this ammo is boxer primed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:
My first thought is, the issue is bad primers, why are you replacing the bullets and the powder and not the primers?

One option would be to pull the bullets, dump the powder, replace the primers and reuse the bullets and powder.
It's easy enough to weigh the bullets and several of the powder charges as you pull them and determine the average powder charge and simply reconstruct the ammo with good primers.

If you don't like the idea of re-using the powder,
a second option would be to dump everything and just replace the primers and powder, reuse the bullets.

a third option would be to go ahead and replace the primers, bullets and powder, but use a cheaper bullet.
There are certainly cheaper 8mm bullets available.

Finally, you can do a combination of all of the above. Nothing says you have to do all 2400 rounds at once.
8mm brass is expensive and getting harder to come by.

As a side note, I'm surprised this ammo is boxer primed.
View Quote

It's definitely berdan and corrosive.

Probably a bit more background indicated ......

I don't reload now but have a brand new 550 (still in box) and a bunch that goes with it including a crap-ton of accessories, tools, primers, powder, NATO and some other bullets.

I know the primers are spent, which is why I bring this up.  I've been saving my calibers of reloadable brass, including 8mm, for years.

I figure, maybe when I retire, I might start reloading as a new hobby and maybe get more into precision shooting, etc.  

Obviously, there are no specs on the powder, so best transferring over into other 8mm brass I'd think.   With all that in mind, assuming that powder still burns, I guess I'm wondering if it's all worth keeping in the Ammo Fort as a couple grand in reusable components?

Or,  for example, are Bulgy bullets known to be crap and saving/reusing that old powder a moronic idea?  Back in the day I used to read how some reloaders would break down the 1950s 8mm Yugo for bullets & powder and reload into other boxer brass.  I have a lot of that stuff too, and happen to hink it's some of the most accurate 8mm milsurp I have.  Typically, only one hang-fire in 40 or 50 rds wi HiPower Wolfe bolt spring.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
A fellow on another forum is saying it's absolutely bad powder and not primers. If pulling bullets and reseating with fresh powder is all that needs to happen then, perhaps, an exercise worth doing. That is, after I burn through my lifetime supply of other 8 mm, LOL
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By kmad2001:
A fellow on another forum is saying it's absolutely bad powder and not primers. If pulling bullets and reseating with fresh powder is all that needs to happen then, perhaps, an exercise worth doing. That is, after I burn through my lifetime supply of other 8 mm, LOL
View Quote

If you have so much other eight millimeter why bother?

I wouldn't even spend any time on it...
I would offer it for sale to somebody else that wants to mess with it even if I take a loss.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

I would offer it for sale to somebody else that wants to mess with it even if I take a loss.

View Quote

Well, yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. Just figured it was an interesting topic for folks to opine on.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Well, yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. Just figured it was an interesting topic for folks to opine on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good call.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
There was no pulling the bullet with pliers and a vice. So unable to fire the primer . I cut the head off. Dry stick powder with that sweet combloc chemical smell. The inside of the case and the bottom of the boat tail bullet is immaculate.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top