Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2022 1:43:11 PM EDT
So I’m getting back into AKs after a long break (bad timing I know!). I just picked up a 2015 WASR – got a great deal. The finish has some scuffs and wear and I’m wondering what you guys recommend for the quickest/easiest/most cost-effective way to upgrade the finish.

I don’t really want to put any more money into it right now, so am primarily looking at my DIY rattle-can options. I dont want to send it out to get coated or refinished, and honestly I’m not handy or patient enough to do that myself. So I was simply going to remove the furniture and rattle can Krylon flat black over the existing dark gray finish (it’s what I have handy), but looking at nicer AKs many of them seem to have a deeper semi-gloss to gloss-black finish. Any recommendations for a quick fix spray paint that would look better than Krylon flat black?

Again I’m not looking for perfection, just looking for a cost effective way to improve the WASR’s looks and hide the scuffs. Thanks for the help!

Will
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#1]
Bake at 350 for at least an hour......

Do it right, and its as impervious to solvents as other finishes ...... preheat a bit and it's a dead-nuts match for the finish on the latest KUSA guns
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with the aerosol durabake products but I did a media blast prior to painting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gotterdammerung] [#3]
Rustoleum Appliance epoxy is pretty good match to Russian paint and available at Home Depot.

Paint as normal for a glossy finish or do your base coat and then fog at 12-16" to get more of a matte finish and bake @ 400 for an hour.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys – much appreciated!

As someone new to the idea of “baking” a rifle, any suggestions? Are you guys literally painting them and then putting it on a rack in your oven with the furniture off for an hour?

Will
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, best done when the wife is out of the house for the day. The smell airs out in a few hours.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
There are ways to cerakote with some diy stuff if you want. It won't be as cheep as spray can but I think would be more durable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WillMunny:

As someone new to the idea of “baking” a rifle, any suggestions? Are you guys literally painting them and then putting it on a rack in your oven with the furniture off for an hour?

Will
View Quote

Hang it. Don't just put it on the rack unless you want the grilled hotdog lines.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Hang it. Don't just put it on the rack unless you want the grilled hotdog lines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Originally Posted By WillMunny:

Will

I bake at 350 for 3 hours.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I use AlumahydeII for at home/air dry finishes.  Holds up ok, better than standard Krylon, but not as good as baked on finishes.

I only recommend that you let it set for at least a week before touching it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a big fan of Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint. Use brake parts cleaner or acetone to degrease the rifle. Also heat the Rustoleum can up with some warm water until the can is warm to touch. This will make it lay down smoother. I used this method 10 years ago on an ak I had. I am now a professional coater and this coating has impressed me. Obviously I advocate for more professional products now, but if you're on a budget with limited tools and experience, the rustoleum will work well for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Rattle can it. AK's have never been known for their fit and finish.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Serious question. So after baking in oven your wife’s Meat Loaf didn’t have a paint taste to it the next day?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:29:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#13]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:
Bake at 350 for at least an hour......
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3d6d5b79-5732-410b-acf8-ad12435d1d27_1.e9d2dfcac42d50b149bd2b78748000a9.jpeg

Do it right, and its as impervious to solvents as other finishes ...... preheat a bit and it's a dead-nuts match for the finish on the latest KUSA guns
View Quote

This (ceramic engine paint), but I use Semi-Matte or Semi-Gloss Black (two different part numbers) so it doesn't come out too glossy.
Also, never bake paint in an oven you're going to cook food in.  Use a heat gun or heat lamps if you don't have a dedicated project oven. (I have the gun and lamps, and a dedicated old toaster oven for small parts)
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Aluma Hyde II is what I use.  And I generally bake it also, helps hurry the curing process along.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top