Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 8:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn]
Just stumbled across this, long story short: CZ style grips for AK's and also AR's. I am a diehard CZ/clones guy, they just always fit my hand the best of any pistol grip I ever tried, I run Magpul K2's specifically because they share some features with a CZ grip.

Seriously thinking about trying one of each, they look nice. They don't have as much angle correction as I would like, but they are a hair better than the K2's with a 16 degree as opposed to the K2's 17 degrees.

ETA: Screw it, I FO'ed. Ordered one of each, will post pics and review when I get 'em.

ETA2: Already got shipping notice.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link? Cost?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Link? Cost?
View Quote

39.95, a little pricey, but shipping was cheap at 6.95 flat rate for two grips I ordered and no tax. They have some other interesting grips of various types too. Found them after a guy posted an AR pic with one of their metal AR grips that accepts Shadow 2 grip panels.

Link for AK grip:
https://drivenarmsco.com/product/ak-shadow-crossover-grip/
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
looks ergonomic and something you'd see on a Tarkov rifle.

I'll wait for feedback.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nictra:

I'll wait for feedback.
View Quote

Will do a write up with pics once I have them in hand, may be a week or so as they are getting overwhelmed with orders for various things right now. Customer service is flat out awesome. Went back to add a couple of the base plates that make the grip into storage, e-mailed them about it and they replied in like 2 minutes and gave us free shipping on the extra parts.

Credit where it's due, I found these from a pic of a rifle on another site, was looking at them and wanting to buy bad, but i've been over budget on purchasing things lately and I didn't need new grips. Wife comes in and looks over my shoulder and mentions that i've been complaining about wanting something like these for a long time, I told her I was gonna pass due to budget concerns, and she went in the other room and ordered 'em for me anyway, lol, then ordered the base plates next day. She's a hella good woman man, i'm a lucky guy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks comfy!

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking around online, it seems to have just been released last week, you might be one of the first people to have one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Looking around online, it seems to have just been released last week, you might be one of the first people to have one.
View Quote

You might be right, in one of the e-mails the guy said they had a ton of orders to process because of "the launches on Saturday". I don't know whether he meant this last Saturday or the one before.

Normally I shy away from guinea-pigging new products, but this one had my name written all over it and I reckon it's my turn anyway, lol. Just never had a firearm fit my hand like CZ's and clones do, fell in love with 'em first time I put my hand on one back in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Man they did some serious thinking and 3D modeling with this grip, look at the detail of sculpting in it:

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a quick update: Received my grips and i'm blown away, review inbound soon, probably going to do the AR grip review first then the AK grip. Did take a little fitting but results are spectacular, and communicating with the company over some tiny fitment issues and they are awesome and open-minded and welcome the feedback. Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#10]
It looks like a mildly retarded MOE K2 grip inspired by the grip angle of a Hi Point carbine
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mancat:
It looks like a mildly retarded MOE K2 grip inspired by the grip angle of a Hi Point carbine
View Quote

I could say the same about you brother.

Srsly though, The K2 grip is a fine grip, I adopted it early on specifically because it had some aspects of the CZ-style grip.

Aesthetics are important, and I do understand some of the love for simple traditional blocky components and embrace some of that in my own guns.

But the swept back OEM grips on so many rifles are soooo last century, time, study, and competition has proven the value of reduced angle grips and less wrist pronation.

The CZ angle and grip shape, predates the K2 by 40 years, has successfully been used in millions of firearms, and currently dominates IPSC/USPSA shooting with over 50% of shooters using it to great effect. There are good reasons for this.

The K2 is good, but this grip takes it several steps farther, the ergonomics are undeniable, the ledges for trigger-finger and thumb support, palm swells right where they need to be, the curve on the backstrap...it all fits your hand perfectly, and ensures quick and proper hand placement and comfortable shooting. It just works, regardless of whether anybody thinks it's pretty or not.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have to say, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would from the stand alone pics once it's on a rifle. When it comes to my guns (and my cars) I've always been a form over function guy. I know function is more important, but sometimes I just can't.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By nictra:
I have to say, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would from the stand alone pics once it's on a rifle. When it comes to my guns (and my cars) I've always been a form over function guy. I know function is more important, but sometimes I just can't.
View Quote

I get it, i'm the same way about a bunch of things, to be honest I can't stand vertical foregrips, I hate they way they look on a rifle, hate it, the spoil the lines of it. But on an AK they seriously make for better shooting. AR handguards and rails have gotten so skinny I could take 'em off, I just use a handstop if anything these days. But you'd have to have even larger than my XL hands to get a thumbover hold on an AK, so I use a VFG.

Everybody's different, aesthetics vary wildly, seems to me us AK guys are especially ornery and picky about some things.

Did a short review already on the AR versions, with a couple of pics on one of my rifles if anyone's interested:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Driven-Arms-CZ-Shadow-Crossover-grip-for-the-AR-15/118-786142/
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the material?  Is it rubbery or plasticy?

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
How is the material?  Is it rubbery or plasticy?

View Quote

Plasticy. nylon or glass re-inforced polymer of some sort, as I mentioned I had to mod a tiny bit for fit and can confirm it is re-inforced and some good tough stuff
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#16]
As D_Man pointed out, this is a very new release, this is the first run. I am guinea-pigging it and providing feedback to the maker, if you want that perfect drop-in fit you may need to wait for the next run, they had limited AK's to work with designing it, and talking with nighttrainnc yesterday I think we figured out the why on one issue and have e-mailed Bret at Driven about it and he's all about perfecting the design, so that should get fixed quick. The actual mods I had to do were simple as hell for guys like us who work on AK's, but just letting you know about 'em. Their AR grip has been out there for over a year and is absolute perfection now, I imagine the AK grip will be the same way.

First issue, was the grip has a taper inside the well where the T-nut goes, seems like they must have used the style of T-nut that has a stepdown after the receiver when modeling it, all of mine are the more common straight T-nuts that have the same width all the way down, easy fix, just a minute with a dremel, pic shows where it gouged befire the mod:

Other issue is more nuanced, had to do with fitment at the triggerguard. Here's what I wrote to Bret, followed by pics:

Second one is more complex. If the back of an AK triggerguard was perfectly straight, I think your grip would fit perfect, but they're not, they all have a slight angle with respect to the receiver, my pic doesn't show it great, but you can see it. As a result, if I position your grip flat on the deck, it doesn't snug up to the backstrap of the triggerguard, it just makes contact at the top and very little on the sides. If I snug it up to that backstrap, it tilts it up and there's a gap. I took pics of it in both configurations so you can see.

This is one of the things Magpul really nailed with their grip (K2 shown for reference), they compensated for that hair of an angle difference, and their curved portion is slightly deeper, hard to see in pics, but in person you can eyeball it and see that hair of difference.

Also, the "wings" on either side of the backstrap groove that hugs the sides of the triggerguard, extend just a tad farther on the K2 than yours do, so they sit flush with it as you can see in the pic, extend those babies just a hair and you're golden. The triggerguard in my test sample is ~.067, the Magpul's comes right in at that measurement, while yours mics out to around ~.050

Fixed that one with just a few seconds using an air stick belt sander with a 3/8" wide belt, just a little massaging at the curve, and it all snugged up and fits great now.
ETA: I need to take one more close-up pic to show the fit after mods, you can kinda see it in the big pic I posted, but i'll get that final close-up and try to get it posted later.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty interesting looking grip. Think I may need to try one out. It's great that they are being responsive on feedback to improve as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CanvasBack:
Pretty interesting looking grip. Think I may need to try one out. It's great that they are being responsive on feedback to improve as well.
View Quote

They really are, got an e-mail today from Bret and they're dealing with the T-nut issue ASAP. Small operation, but sometimes that's a real advantage, they can shift gears fast. I like dealing with these smaller companies, they are always ready to listen, CNCW, TWS, Stormwerkz etc.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top