Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/11/2024 4:12:46 PM EDT
I currently have two Arsenal SGL 21's. I'd like to throw an aim point and possibly an acog on two ak's. Are the SAM or SLR more accurate or reliable than the SGL which I've had great luck with? My SGL is smoother and more accurate than my SAR 1 Century Arms.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Un-answerable question brother. You never know how a given rifle will perform until you shoot it.

If it was me, I would sell one of the SGL's and buy two new AK's, keep the other SGL for the collection.

I had an SGL like 12-13 years ago, a guy offered me 4 times what I paid for it. I sold it and bought two new AK's and still pocketed some cash, I don't regret it a bit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Un-answerable question brother. You never know how a given rifle will perform until you shoot it.

If it was me, I would sell one of the SGL's and buy two new AK's, keep the other SGL for the collection.

I had an SGL like 12-13 years ago, a guy offered me 4 times what I paid for it. I sold it and bought two new AK's and still pocketed some cash, I don't regret it a bit.
View Quote
I completely agree.  The thing I've noticed about AKs is that some of them are really good and some of them are really bad.  I don't know this for a fact but I suspect it has to do with how the barrel mates with the trunnion.  

You have to shoot each one to see.  I've seen them anywhere from 3 MOA to 10 MOA.  Some of them you can tell that it depends on which side of the mag it's feeding from because just that little bit of tension on the bolt on one side is enough to throw the shot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:45:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: themao] [#3]
The SGL 21 is a Saiga conversion. Very valuable. I would keep both. They are 2-3 MOA rifles at best. Stamped Russian receiver, Russian barrels.

Milled Arsenals are not that much more accurate from my experience. The SLR is no better or different than a stamped Saiga in terms of accuracy. All have CHF barrels. Honestly, the SGL 21 Saiga conversion is more desired because it is a true AK-100 series spec pattern rifle. The Bulgarian ones are not. Reliability should be the same between all three types.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to change anything you own. I prefer the lighter weight of stamped AKs over milled, but of course, I own Galil ACEs and a SAM-5.

Speaking of the devil, if you want a more accurate AK, buy a Galil ACE.

How accurate is an AK47 - Kalashnikov? | Russia v. China v. Bulgaria v. Romania v. Israel v. Czech
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are interested in accuracy the Psa rifles with fn barrels have gotten some way better than average reviews when it comes to accuracy
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By themao:

Milled Arsenals are not that much more accurate from my experience. The SLR is no better or different than a stamped Saiga in terms of accuracy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By themao:

Milled Arsenals are not that much more accurate from my experience. The SLR is no better or different than a stamped Saiga in terms of accuracy.
+1
I've shot a number of milled Arsenals, and while they are definitely smoother shooters (and feel nicer when running the action by hand) I haven't seen any evidence milled guns outshoot stamped guns

Originally Posted By hodgescl:
If you are interested in accuracy the Psa rifles with fn barrels have gotten some way better than average reviews when it comes to accuracy

This has been my experience as well. The PSA 103 is a surprisingly accurate shooter, but I don't have any experience with their GF (AKM) series rifles. Not sure if they shoot as accurately as the PSA 103

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
View Quote

I believe it, I don't have any PSA AK's yet, but i've got a 10.3 and 14.7 AR uppers both from PSA with the FN barrels, and they are amazing, wouldn't buy any other kind any more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#7]
More accurate, probably not.

I say this as a SAM fanboy - the only real appeal of them is the milled receiver.  The truth is that while yes, a milled receiver is incredibly strong, you nor your kids will probably ever shoot a stamped receiver gun to the point the receiver fails.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
More accurate, probably not.

I say this as a SAM fanboy - the only real appeal of them is the milled receiver.  The truth is that while yes, a milled receiver is incredibly strong, you nor your kids will probably ever shoot a stamped receiver gun to the point the receiver fails.
View Quote

+1

I honestly think one would only see a difference if they were using rifle grenades and running full auto every day. That is when a milled receiver makes sense to me over stamped.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top