Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/10/2023 4:02:42 PM EDT
Venturing back into AKs after a long hiatus.

Background, I’ve owned multiple AKs through my life. Mostly have been WASR 10 or 10/63s, and x2 CZ VZ2008. My cheapest one was one I snagged back in 2014 before I moved back home from Washington state I snagged for $380. Kept that one awhile until I traded it for a M16A1 clone I just had to have. Got another one around 2016/2017 but then parted with it thinking I’d get another before long. Then x2 kids and a house move later, still no AK.

Recently listed a M16A2 clone I built years ago, and thankfully worked out a deal with a friend on anther forum to get back into the AK game in form of this PSA AK105 in 5.45x39

Plan is to make it somewhat modern by doing the following:
-install Magpul plum handguards
-install a Bulgarian 4.5mm triangle side folder
-Install US Palms plum AK grip
-debating between ultimak or attero mount. Want to be able to still have irons as back up

I snagged a set of plum Magpul handguards off tax swap for $30 shipped.

Ordered the 4.5mm Bulgarian stock along with x3 Bulgarian magazines from soviet stocks. They processed and shipped my order within 12 hours of order!

Still need to snag some more ammo, as I don’t have enough but going to have to wait a little bit on that as I’ve blown my gun fund for a bit.

I know PSA just got into the AK game and had some hiccups early on, but I’m looking forward to running this especially with the tool craft parts in it.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. My plan is to take this shooting next weekend, after I install the Magpul plum handguards and take some more pictures.

Only issue I’ve noted thus far has been with magazines. Rifle came to me with x2 Magpul ak74 mags which work as intended. Also came with an AC mag which finally will lock in but becomes an absolute bear to get out. A random pro mag works and tapco mag will work but not 100%. I’m hoping the Bulgarian mags I ordered will work as I want to try those out and not just solely have to run Magpul. Plus, I want to order some plum magazines eventually as well

Pictures of said rifle
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Good buy. Although 545 ammo will never get cheaper, I still find shooting it is a more enjoyable experience than 762.
CDNN has bulgy 74 mags with steel lugs for $15 all the time. 100% reliable.

I sourced a lot of golden tiger last week off gunbroker. Double what I paid for it 3 years ago...
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#2]
5.45 ammo is going to be scarce and expensive, unless you already have a stockpile.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
5.45 ammo is going to be scarce and expensive, unless you already have a stockpile.
View Quote

@-Apocalypto
PSA is suppose to making it and selling starting in Q4
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By crazysarge16:

@-Apocalypto
PSA is suppose to making it and selling starting in Q4
View Quote
I have doubts that they will be able to keep up with demand. 5.56, 9mm, 7.62x39, 5.45x39. When the Russian ammo stops coming in, they are going to need a factory the size of Lake City.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
I have doubts that they will be able to keep up with demand. 5.56, 9mm, 7.62x39, 5.45x39. When the Russian ammo stops coming in, they are going to need a factory the size of Lake City.
View Quote

Hopefully not, but I’m hoping to get a 7.62 variant from them before too much longer. Just waiting for my VA back pay to come through and hopefully buy one after I pay off some bills

I’ve really missed having an AK
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the Bulgarian 4.5mm triangle stock in as well as the Bulgarian mags. The Bulgarian mags lock right up and look awesome, time will tell once I get them to the range but I’m happy for the price I paid

The triangle stock isn’t fully installed yet, pin from PSA didn’t want to fully seat, and I didn’t want to beat on it with a hammer to much. Plus had to stop to eat supper and I’m being lazy and don’t want to try messing with it anymore tonight
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Having to modify the pin from PSA to make it work, it’s slightly oversize. Going slow to ensure the best fit
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
It may be just me, but the 4.5 pin from PSA seemed WAY soft compared to the ones I got from Jmac.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, this pin has been giving me a lot of troubles. Finally got my triangle stock installed but the pin is too tight to allow it to lock up on its on

I’m almost about to buy one form them just to see if that one will drop right in.

Got the Magpul handguards installed.

Picture with Magpul handguards and triangle stock

Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top