Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2023 8:06:46 AM EDT
I have a Mak-90 that I bought in the early 90s and it's been somewhat forgotten in the back of the safe.  I'd like to add a red dot optic to it but what's the best way to add an optic mount to it?  Drill and install a side mount (which mount)?  Replace the rear sight with one that adds a picatinny mount?  Install a AK Master Mount rail?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A popular way that won't require permanent modification would be a railer upper handguard like an ultimak.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Master mount , it uses the trigger pins to install the universal rail mount without any permanent alterations , I can't figure out how to post a pic  here , only a link
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:21:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Migmaqman] [#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You want to avoid the gas tube nonsense and the dust cover nonsense , these will not retain zero.  The dust cover is pathetic , , gas tube slightly better but the second you remove it zero is gone and you lose the vibe of the rifle

Hands down short of permanently fixing the mount to the receiver , master mount , I used a Midwest industries qd mount that puts it the pic rail 1/4 inch off the dust cover , you can still remove the cover ,  and it retains zero if you remove the qd mount
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:47:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigcraig] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It might be worth a lot to someone unmodified if you would prefer to swap it
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fury413rb:
It might be worth a lot to someone unmodified if you would prefer to swap it
View Quote

I've already swapped out plenty of parts for US made parts to get it into 922 compliance so I doubt it has much value other than as a 'shooter'.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as you retain all of those original parts, swap away. I would not modify the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:06:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Migmaqman] [#9]
Mak 90's have doubled in price in the last 10 years with no sign of slowing down
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Migmaqman:
You want to avoid the gas tube nonsense and the dust cover nonsense , these will not retain zero.  The dust cover is pathetic , , gas tube slightly better but the second you remove it zero is gone and you lose the vibe of the rifle

Hands down short of permanently fixing the mount to the receiver , master mount , I used a Midwest industries qd mount that puts it the pic rail 1/4 inch off the dust cover , you can still remove the cover ,  and it retains zero if you remove the qd mount
View Quote

Gonna call bullshit on this one bud. I've been using the Ultimak railed tube for around ten years with no problems. It is firmly bolted onto the barrel and does NOT move. My PA MD-06 RDS is on a 1/2 inch QD base to allow for removal for cleaning. It has been on and off the gun numerous times over the last decade and has never needed more than a click or two to fine tune the zero, if even that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol , if you say so , maybe they have improved since I wasted money on that trash , but what I do know , even if they do hold zero these days it's not the best way to go about it , who TF wants their optic sitting on all that heat
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol , if you say so , maybe they have improved since I wasted money on that trash , but what I do know , even if they do hold zero these days it's not the best way to go about it , who TF wants their optic sitting on all that heat
View Quote

Well known that the supposed heat issue is a non-starter. System works very well or logically Ultimak would have quit selling them. The design for the Mini-14 is very similar and I've used it with great success also. ymmv
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
You seem pretty desperate to qualify what ever it is you got going on there , I wish you all the best In all your future concoctions
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#14]
You seem pretty desperate to qualify what ever it is you got going on there , I wish you all the best In all your future concoctions
View Quote

Nothing desperate to qualify about a long term member passing on real life experience with a quality product from a great company. And dispelling silly old wives tales that keep popping up from time to time.

I WISH Ultimak was paying me for all the people I know who have purchased their goods.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Have folks had success with the AK Master Mount on a MAK 90?  No issues with pin length, the thicker steel of the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#17]

View Quote

You don't really remove the Ultimak, for cleaning you just run a 12 gauge brush down it.

I'm more of a fan of side rails however.

AK Master Mount has some decent reviews.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Hey, Brushbog!  I hope you're well.  Long time no see.
View Quote
@Melvin_Johnson Oh wow.  It has been a long time.  I'm still around and even manage to make to the range once in a while. Hope you and the fam are doing well too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I ended up going with the Attero mount.  I sighted it in and ran a couple of mags through it, no issues so far.  I inspired at least one other coworker to buy an AK when we were at the range shooting it.  

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top