Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stottman]
Been very bored recently...Anyways, here are some pics of my deactivated Bulgarian PK machine gun with tripod;

Tripod came out of former Soviet warehouse in Berlin, and gun was surplused out of the Balkans, to be Deactivated and sold on German commercial market.

LEft and right sides with 100rd assault pack; As ammo is a resticted item in Germany, I could not just go buy some 7.62x54 to use; Had to waste $1.25 for dummy/deactivated rounds-

Markings; Also has the serial number on the receiver itself, but didnt photograph well.

Selector markings; "Fire" in Bulgarian-

Rear site; Similar to an AK, but backwards-

Top cover raised.. Notice how the feed arm pulls the rounds from the belt, vs the push method like most western GPMGs-

Barrel quick release.. Kind of a major pain... Top cover, then feed tray/cover must be raised to access...Once released, the barrel carry handle is lifted, which pushes the barrel out from the trunnion..

Release for 100rd assault pack-

Gun stripped for cleaning; Break down is basically the same as all other GPMGs, though the buttstock/back doesnt come off.. Instead everything comes up thru the receiver-

Gun on tripod; Unlike the later PKM tripod, the PK tripod does not have a space for the 200rd can-

T/E assembly-

Release for gun on tripod-

Firing sector markings/stops. Tripod allows gunner/commander to see left and right limits of Tripod-

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Stottman.

Will you be allowed to bring that stuff back when you return to the states?  If so, you're going to have a very cool toy room.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Stottman

Are you German or stationed in Germany?  How is it de-activated?

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope you're my Neighbor when you rotate back to the States,no doubt you'll figure out how to bring your toys home too!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:31:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stottman] [#5]
I am an American GI stationed in Germany..

Gun is deactivated by filling the chamber with weld, drilling caliber sized holes in the bore, and welding a weld rod in the rest of the bore.  Bolt is missing on this one, but it is required to be deactivated to. In Germany, the barrel and bolt are the restricted parts.. The receiver is not.

I plan on bringing it back as a parts kit.... Will either build it as a dummy gun (and display like I do this one) , or maybe build it as a semi (if someone ever does a receiver)....I have to do a form 6 (import permit) through the ATF.

This is the 2nd one I have had.. 1st one was like this, but in worse condition and had the wrong barrel..... Place I bought the 1st one from, it was the only infantry version  left... All the others were tank coax versions that had been locally modified to a ground gun....

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw in one of the past SGN's that Military Gun Supply was selling PKM parts kits AND said to "ASK ABOUT OUR SEMI AUTO RECEIVER"....anyone know what's up with that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
stottman, where's the best place in germany to get these deacts and parts kits? any websites?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW...

Dans Sporting Goods has Hungarian PKMS kits for $1750.00

Excellent condition. Includes two barrels, serial numbered to the kit. Bipod and tripod. With accessories: Pouches, slings, tools, ammo cans and links.

www.dansammo.com/images/inv/o027.asp
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
stottman, where's the best place in germany to get these deacts and parts kits? any websites?

When you are here, just pick up a German gun magazine.. Best one for ads is Deutche Waffen Journal.. They will have ads from the different places...

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang wish i would have had all this info when i was stationed in Berlin Damn did i miss out
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By shotgunner45:
Dang wish i would have had all this info when i was stationed in Berlin Damn did i miss out

Well, this stuff has just really came out of the closet the last few years. Before, they were not really legal. Anything that looked like a military weapon was illegal. Could of been a semi, a deact, or a rubber duck. Didnt matter..

They did sell parts kit (box of parts) but one was forbidden to actually put them together.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Jeepcreep:
...drool.....
Thanks for your contributions to the board!

....if that old gun could talk, I'll sure bet it has a story to tell!

that is no joke. i just stared at it and imagined...........
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Those pics are so sexy I saved them for later viewing!

Beautiful piece, did it ever come back with you?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 12:34:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunplumber] [#15]
Nice pictures

VLTOR makes the receiver in semi or full.  

I have two of them as full-autos - a lot more work to make a semi.

I'd love to get one of those heavy tripods.  the light tripod isn't very good.

Can you find parts there?  I could use some spare cartridge grabbers (don't know how to translate it) but the part that pulls the case back out of the belt.  Haven't broken one yet, but it appears to be subject to a lot of stress.

Also looking for a PKMS rear trunion  and hinge mechanism with or without the folding stock (and an RPKS trunion and hinge, for that matter)

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Heck! I wasted my time there chasing schatzis and drinking beer! Thanks for posting the MG, it's a beaut!
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#17]
great photos, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow,what a bad a** machine gun.I could only dream of having something like that .Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Very cool.

I know that UK sellers of Deactivated firearms are unable to ship to the US, on account of the receivers (many of which are those for full-auto or burst fire guns).

DWSUK currently have a SIG SG 542 (3 round burst trigger pack), an HK G3 FS, a Stechkin APS Machine Pistol, and several AKMs, amongst many other things.

Warning to gun lovers:
You may feel very sad if you go to some of these online stores, and see some real classic pieces of history that have been 'neutered'.
These include Colt 1903 pistols, and even the occasional Luger.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.

VLTOR makes a receiver, but the semi version is pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
How does the round gripper get over the rim of the round? It doesn't look like it is spring loaded. Is it via some type of cam action within the carrier that makes it go over the round and then drop into place or something?
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#22]
it is spring spring steel.

I have a small stash of spares, and most of the new parts kits came with a spare, although I've never broken one.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 3:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j0rdanj] [#23]
Thanks for the pics, I have always been a fan of PKs as well as the 7.62x54r
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top