Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2024 11:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood]
Save the bullets and powder, and load them in brass cases with commercial  primers.

I have found that the average powder charges can be as low as 24.5 grains and as high as 25 grains.

It makes good cheap ammo.

I load 24 grains in every case and  have been getting better results than I expected.

4 shot 1/2" group at 110 yards

I have found Bulgarian surplus X 39 just as good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't it be a lot less work to just shoot the corrosive ammunition assembled and clean it afterwards?
I can see where getting a uniform powder charge might increase the accuracy but is it worth all that labor?
What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
Wouldn't it be a lot less work to just shoot the corrosive ammunition assembled and clean it afterwards?
I can see where getting a uniform powder charge might increase the accuracy but is it worth all that labor?
What am I missing here?
View Quote

The labor never even entered my mind, it's so insignificant that  it's not worth considering. It takes less effort than cleaning everything with boiling water after shooting.

Shooting accurate inexpensive and non corrosive X39 ammo is a pleasure.    

The group pictured was shot from a sandbag with no rear support on a brand new gong, it was not a fluke. What makes it so accurate is a mystery.

When the weather improves I will shoot several groups on paper, I might even record it on video.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:31:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#3]
Originally Posted By Pureblood:

4 shot 1/2" group at 110 yards
View Quote

Holy cow, that's amazing! Nice work.

Lot to be said about uniformity of powder charge, when I used to reload and wanted match loads, i'd skip the progressive and weigh each charge by hand. I found that even as little as tenth of a grain difference made a difference in POI.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
What am I missing here?
View Quote

Right there with ya. My time is worth too much to unload ammo just to change the primer. Easier and faster to rinse everything out at the end of the day.

I'm not retired though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Right there with ya. My time is worth too much to unload ammo just to change the primer. Easier and faster to rinse everything out at the end of the day.

I'm not retired though.
View Quote

How long do you think it takes to unload the ammo ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Holy cow, that's amazing! Nice work.

Lot to be said about uniformity of powder charge, when I used to reload and wanted match loads, i'd skip the progressive and weigh each charge by hand. I found that even as little as tenth of a grain difference made a difference in POI.
View Quote

I'm very pleased with it, but it was more by accident than design.   I'm presently in the process of trying to work up a good .223 load that can shoot as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]

How long do you think it takes to unload the ammo ?
View Quote

Takes longer to unload it to usable components than it take for my Dillon to put it back together.

Took me 5 minutes to pull 20 rounds the other day between fixturing and dumping powder. Only made it with it as it's already brass 7.62 Russian and only the powder is unknown and the loader has passed away.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#8]

Takes longer to unload it to usable components than it take for my Dillon to put it back together.

Took me 5 minutes to pull 20 rounds the other day between fixturing and dumping powder. Only made it with it as it's already brass 7.62 Russian and only the powder is unknown and the loader has passed away.
View Quote

I disassemble four rounds a minute with ease.  Do you really think that's time consuming ?   It's what's known as a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]

I disassemble four rounds a minute with ease.  Do you really think that's time consuming ?   It's what's known as a piece of cake.
View Quote

4 a minute gets you halfway there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]

4 a minute gets you halfway there.
View Quote

If you don't have any time to spare then why bother reloading at all ?
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top