Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 4:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L_S_SHOE]
Based on responses from another thread, I've decided to keep and de-ban my MAK 90.

Parts are scarce, and I was hoping you guys could give me guidance on which of the following handguard retainers, gas blocks, and front sight blocks will work. My understanding is that anything made for a milled receiver will work (even though the MAK 90 is stamped).

Handguard retainer:
https://www.k-var.com/retainer-bulgarian-for-lower-handguard-ak-47-classic

Gas block:
https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1622
https://www.apexgunparts.com/russian-akm-milled-gas-block-ex.html

Front sight block:
https://www.k-var.com/front-sight-block-assembly-ak-47-pin-holes-75-apart-barrel-id-590-arsenal-bulgaria
https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1579

The cleaning rod, muzzle nut/break can be had directly from PolyTech. If anyone is selling or has links to the actual Chicom parts, or other parts which would be better suited, please let me know. Original wood can be found on GB, but is very expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoMoAMMO] [#1]
Don't know about parts these days as I did.mine quite a while ago...............so here is.some motivation for you OP.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Don't know about parts these days as I did.mine quite a while ago...............so here is.some motivation for you OP.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/20210214_152238_jpg-1825280.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/20210214_152254_jpg-1825281.JPG
View Quote

Looks great!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope you are not going to fix it up to get bought back.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 64tinc:
Hope you are not going to fix it up to get bought back.
View Quote

Bought back by whom? The government? Fuck ‘em, it wasn’t theirs to begin with.

OP; for Chinese parts you can browse the Marketplace on AKFiles or the Classifieds on the AK Forum, but the second one moves pretty slow. Stuff goes quickly on the ‘Files so you need to be ready to move quickly on stuff when it pops up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Bought back by whom? The government? Fuck ‘em, it wasn’t theirs to begin with.

OP; for Chinese parts you can browse the Marketplace on AKFiles or the Classifieds on the AK Forum, but the second one moves pretty slow. Stuff goes quickly on the ‘Files so you need to be ready to move quickly on stuff when it pops up.
View Quote

Thanks! I guess I need to go ahead and join AKFiles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
My early Mak90 is at LRK Mechanical getting a spiker refurb now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwb211] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jwb211:
I did one during the lockdown. I just ordered the parts from Polytech. The furniture I had from years ago when it was cheap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160892/96666153-1536-43F3-AC4C-9AB2AF67AA96_jpe-1826533.JPG
View Quote

Looks good. Is that the original barrel and gas block, but with the PolyTech spiker added? Any issues with cleaning rod fitment?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwb211] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I.like the spiker a lot! I was going to do that with mine but it still had the original detent and enough.of the bayonet lock on the gas block I didn't want to change it. It was one of the early converts. Just umtacked the muzzle nut weld it had and did the 922 stuff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]

did mine several years ago. Ironwood Designs wood. Tapco trigger, etc

the stain is red food coloring, Minwax Sedona Red #222, and about 30 coats of polyurethane clear.

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seattle206] [#12]
Any of the Type-3 AK-47 gas block and front sight base will work on the MAK barrel.  The AKM gas blocks are designed for the skinny pencil barrels opposed to the thicker AK-47 diameter barrels found on Chinese AK's.  I believe the links of the gas block/fsb you provided might require drilling the retainer pin holes and possibly the gas port hole too.  I de-banned my NHM using take off Bulgarian Type-3 gas block/fsb, perfect fit. For the MAK I used the PolytechUSA spiker FSB and a Bulgarian gas block. Two Rivers Arms hot blued the parts then installed them onto the rifles.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Seattle206:
Any of the Type-3 AK-47 gas block and front sight base will work on the MAK barrel.  The AKM gas blocks are designed for the skinny pencil barrels opposed to the thicker AK-47 diameter barrels found on Chinese AK's.  I believe the links of the gas block/fsb you provided might require drilling the retainer pin holes and possibly the gas port hole too.  I de-banned my NHM using take off Bulgarian Type-3 gas block/fsb, perfect fit. For the MAK I used the PolytechUSA spiker FSB and a Bulgarian gas block. Two Rivers Arms hot blued the parts then installed them onto the rifles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48878600066_f420d2fb69_b.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful rifles. They look perfect. Any issues with the type 3 gas block, the cleaning rod, and the spiker all fitting together? Did you to reshape or mill a grove along the bottom of the gas block? Also, know where I might find a type 3 Bulgarian gas block and FSB?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, question for you guys with Spikers. How does a Spiker handle with the extra weight at the front end, compared to a non-Spiker Type 56 clone?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By L_S_SHOE:
Also, question for you guys with Spikers. How does a Spiker handle with the extra weight at the front end, compared to a non-Spiker Type 56 clone?
View Quote

I used to have an old PolyTech spiker back in the early 2000s that got shot all the time. The front end issue I noticed right off the bat is how much heat radiates from the bayonet to my hand. All AKs get very hot very fast, but the spike channels a lot of heat directly under the support hand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
De-ban?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MeLittlePalmetto:
De-ban?
View Quote

94-04 Assault Weapons Ban. Aka evil features ban
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:24:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By L_S_SHOE:

Beautiful rifles. They look perfect. Any issues with the type 3 gas block, the cleaning rod, and the spiker all fitting together? Did you to reshape or mill a grove along the bottom of the gas block? Also, know where I might find a type 3 Bulgarian gas block and FSB?
View Quote

TWA shaved the very bottom portion of the gas block cleaning rod channel flat so the bayonet can close. I bought my gas blocks years ago for like $25/each so I'm not sure how much they sell for now. You might be successful on gunbroker.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iwantfullauto] [#19]
I did a few Chinese debans a few years ago. I purchased front sights and gas blocks from a milled polish rifles. The Polish parts are nice because they are blued and match the Chinese bluing better then the painted or parkerized Bulgarian parts. One of them I used the Polytech spiker front sight, came out great. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well...LRK did an awesome job. I’m still waiting on Ironwood to get me my angle cut stock. Here it is with a sub-cal kit and PSA ALG trigger installed. I think it’s going to look nice with the stock on it. Hope the .22 kit runs good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Making me want to add a spiker to mine!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I did this one a long time ago as a cheap project. It is not correct but i was just wanting a nice Norinco quality AK to shoot. They were cheap when i got it. I think i payed $275 for it with the thumb hole stock on it and a brake welded on to cover the threads. I got some used Iron Wood furniture cheap. I think i had to replace the front sight because it was welded to the brake or something. but the barrel threads were intact. I just used parts i had on hand so the finish is not perfectly matching on the front sight. I Bayonet obviously is not Chinese but fits perfect. My favorite AK i own for sure. Considering i probably have $350 in it I think it turned out OK. I am not a purist for builds anyway but I am sure some people will hate that i used non Chinese parts on it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: squirrell18] [#23]
Whatever you do don’t use a tapco G2 trigger, I tried 2 of them and both caused unsafe firing. Just use the factory Norinco trigger and don’t worry about silly laws. Trying to be 922r or whatever me replacing my amazing factory trigger with some USA made crap was big mistake. I owned the Norinco for 5 years fired 12,000 rounds and nobody ever cared I added Chinese wood stock kit and kept factory trigger.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Question for you guys on this. I have been interested in doing the same. I have a MAK90 from the mid 90's in the safe. On the barrel, can the original one be threaded? Is there enough there to thread it once the FSB is pulled?

If I buy a Polytech complete FSB base with bayonet, what other parts do I need?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MOMIL:
Question for you guys on this. I have been interested in doing the same. I have a MAK90 from the mid 90's in the safe. On the barrel, can the original one be threaded? Is there enough there to thread it once the FSB is pulled?

If I buy a Polytech complete FSB base with bayonet, what other parts do I need?
View Quote

I've seen some with enough meat left to thread, but the threads wont be as deep as factory.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:34:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Farmer-Ted] [#26]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
94-04 Assault Weapons Ban. Aka evil features ban
View Quote

Chinese ban era was 90 to 94-ish, no Chinese rifles imported after 94.  MAK90 = Modified AK 1990.  In 1990 Chinese rifles had the bayonet lug, cleaning rod loop and barrel threads removed. And had the lovely thumbhole stock.

If you use Bulgarian/Hungarian milled gas block and FSB to de-ban and want a bayonet, you need to use the milled style bayonet (as shown in Dana's pics above) instead of the later Chinese AKM style.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Migmaqman] [#27]
one is a Poly bayo folder , one is a Mak 90 , i had the mak-90 for years and on a whim decided to do the work, think i bought the Poly early 90's , the Mak not too long after , to give you an idea i bought the furniture new from Kengs and it was just under $100 buck for the complete set

[img]https://i.ibb.co/PjGLR4Q/P1010040.jpg[img]

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Clint - the wood on your MAK looks amazing.  I tried to get my Ironwood pieces to that level of sheen but didn't make it.  Can you share how you applied the 30 coats of poly clear, and what you did between each coat?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:03:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Migmaqman] [#29]
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top