Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/5/2024 12:21:40 AM EDT
I accidentally completely on purpose bought a Galil ARM kit. Still gotta get a receiver and barrel, I’m just wondering what I’m in for.

I’ve build an M70 slab side underfolder, a Romy donger, and an Izzy FAL. I can’t imagine a Galil is going to be anything majorly different.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The biggest difference you're going to face is that headspace is set at the same time as timing of the barrel. With a FAL, barrel installation is simple because you set headspace separately via locking shoulders. With the AK headspace and barrel timing are done at the same time, but with a straight push vs timing of barrel/receiver threads. Other than that, straight forward build like the AK and FAL. I would highly suggest that you lap the bolt lugs to the receiver prior to timing/headspacing the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
AK trigger guard rivet tools don't work with the Galil without modification. I can get it to work being creative. If you need to file on something to make it fit, go really slow so you don't screw up and file too much material. Some parts of the build are really tedious compared to an AK. I've built an AR and MAR. The MAR still needs some tweaking of the dust cover to fit correctly, but the rifle functions great.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
The biggest difference you're going to face is that headspace is set at the same time as timing of the barrel. With a FAL, barrel installation is simple because you set headspace separately via locking shoulders. With the AK headspace and barrel timing are done at the same time, but with a straight push vs timing of barrel/receiver threads. Other than that, straight forward build like the AK and FAL. I would highly suggest that you lap the bolt lugs to the receiver prior to timing/headspacing the barrel.
View Quote

My FAL barrel was not simple!  It wouldn’t clock and had to take material off. So it sounds like I’ve gotten experience for what the Galil will call for.

Are there particularly good or bad barrels or receivers?  I don’t imagine there’s too much in the way of options.

Pic of how far my FAL was short, just because I knew where the photo was!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
View Quote

This is why you would want to buy a barrel that has no gas port hole oriented. You set head space by affixing barrel to receiver with bolt and checking headspace - once set and barrel is tightened. Once set, you can then orient and set the gas block on the barrel square, then drill the location of the gas port.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the kit today!  Gonna be a minute before I get a receiver and barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use the ak rivet tool, you'll just need to remove the mag catch and reinstall it.

I think the hardest part will be removing the gas block off the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built several AK's but the Galil is next on my list.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
You can use the ak rivet tool, you'll just need to remove the mag catch and reinstall it.

I think the hardest part will be removing the gas block off the barrel.
View Quote

I had a hell of a time getting the muzzle device off my kit. Was horrible. Getting everything else off was much easier.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I broke my bayonet lug off pressing my gasblock off. Good thing I can weld. I was able to put it back on and it looks good now after a bit of filing and touching up the bluing a tad.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:
I broke my bayonet lug off pressing my gasblock off. Good thing I can weld. I was able to put it back on and it looks good now after a bit of filing and touching up the bluing a tad.
View Quote

Aluminum tubing for next time. Slip it over the barrel and you can press on the gas block while supporting the gas block all around.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top