Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2023 3:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN]
So I'm finishing up my galil build and the next step is installing my gas block. Just to make sure things matched up I measured the diameter of my barrel and gas block. It looks like the gas block is about .003 smaller than the barrel. .631 for the block and .634 for the barrel.

Is this difference to much to press the block on, and if so what's a good way to reduce the barrel? Was thinking sandpaper.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a machinery handbook at work and would need to check but I think under a thousandth if not using temperature fit. Why not bore the gas block instead of turning down the bbl? I would do the bbl on a lathe but you can get away with the gas block using a drill or brake cylinder hone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OG1:
I have a machinery handbook at work and would need to check but I think under a thousandth if not using temperature fit. Why not bore the gas block instead of turning down the bbl? I would do the bbl on a lathe but you can get away with the gas block using a drill or brake cylinder hone.
View Quote

I think that might be too much to take off the gas block only, but might do 50/50 or at least take some off both.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be happy with 0.0005-0.001 interference. I'd pull it off the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I'd be happy with 0.0005-0.001 interference. I'd pull it off the barrel.
View Quote

Ya that's kinda what I'm doing. I'm gonna sand some of the gas block to smooth it up, but that's about it.

Thanks for the measurements guys, I'll try to get it around .001 or less and see what I get.

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Ya that's kinda what I'm doing. I'm gonna sand some of the gas block to smooth it up, but that's about it.

Thanks for the measurements guys, I'll try to get it around .001 or less and see what I get.

View Quote

If it's a little tighter than you want freeze the barrel and just before install heat the gas block. I've had to do that a few times. Works well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, went on pretty easy with the tothtool population tool. I just stacked up some washers infront of it and used 3ft rods.

What's a good way to install the magazine catch pin? I was thinking some ball bearings and a c-clap or vise.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top