Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2023 12:43:46 AM EDT
Ran across a galil magazine adapter to usgi mags, it does not fit JRA galil. I believe it a blackthorne made one, what the value of these?
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Blackthorne products have a reputation of being pure trash. I recall that their "Galil" magwell adapters were pretty much unusable garbage. I don't recall anyone ever getting one to work without a lot of work. I remember one person finally welded theirs in place. They have no value at all unless you can dump it on someone who does not know about their reputation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
even the non blacktorne ones required a lot of fitting. If you want a Galil that uses stanag mags, just get an ACE.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont plan to use it, just seeing if it had any value. I got it with some other stuff, I have 30+ galil magazines already.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
cool. I mean, you could probably make it to work. I don't know if anyone ever really had success with them though. IIRC they had some feeding issues because of the feed lips on AR mags or something like that. It's been a long time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Many of the Mag Adapters were parts made in Israel and Imported assembled by Mossberg when Mossberg had staated a relationship with IMI to import products but then stomped on by the Clinton Admin. to drop USGI contracts for shotguns if they didn't drop the plan.  Many of these would be stamped with UA for Uzi America - what Mossberg intended to operate under.

Some were finished by Mossberg and others sold in parts (Adapter, spring, latch & pin) unfinished and you had to drill a hole for the latch pin and affix the latch - generally it's an easy to do project and what was done by Blackthorn and others.

They generally work with USGI pattern metal mags as was the design of the day.

I had one, used it once gave it to a friend. I paid $25 for the parts and drilled the hoe myself.  It worked but I had so many Galil mags that are reasonably priced - why bother?

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The one that works is marked "UA" and will even work with a C-Mag :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a Magnum Research mag adapter on GB right now for $350 starting price / $800 buy it now.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1027245572

I'd like buy it and have someone 3D print it but with an AR style mag release on the right hand side.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drobs:
There's a Magnum Research mag adapter on GB right now for $350 starting price / $800 buy it now.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1027245572

I'd like buy it and have someone 3D print it but with an AR style mag release on the right hand side.
View Quote

I want to get my hands on one for the same reason. I want to try to model one with a more universal fit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Magnum research had ties to IMI so I imagine that one is an IMI adapter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if you couldn't chop up a $50 AR receiver and make an adapter out of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By drobs:
I wonder if you couldn't chop up a $50 AR receiver and make an adapter out of it.
View Quote

No its a lightweight / sheet metal sleeve that locks into a galil mag port/thumb release and will accept an AR mag and present it properly - has a separate AR style mag release built in on the side of the adapter where you expect it to be.  The amount of work needed to mill an AR receiver into the same or similar is not practical (and is probably is not even close to structurally sounds since the clearance for an AR mag with the adapter in the Galil mag well is measured in millimeters).    

The one I have actually has a movable pin to prevent you from accidently releasing the adapter by depressing the regular AK style mag release when using the adapter - the pin needs to be pulled back. There is another version out there without the extra pin safety.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AKR:

No its a lightweight / sheet metal sleeve that locks into a galil mag port/thumb release and will accept an AR mag and present it properly - has a separate AR style mag release built in on the side of the adapter where you expect it to be.  The amount of work needed to mill an AR receiver into the same or similar is not practical (and is probably is not even close to structurally sounds since the clearance for an AR mag with the adapter in the Galil mag well is measured in millimeters).    

The one I have actually has a movable pin to prevent you from accidently releasing the adapter by depressing the regular AK style mag release when using the adapter - the pin needs to be pulled back. There is another version out there without the extra pin safety.
View Quote

Wouldn't be terrible to mill an adapter from billet.

FYI, a millimeter is pretty big. 1mm is 0.040". If it's got a tolerance like that it alike a hotdog down a hallway!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Right - so go make one.  If you built it they will come.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AKR:
Right - so go make one.  If you built it they will come.
View Quote

I'll do that after my machine gun projects and when I'm done designing a FCG and maybe after I'm done designing a 22LR upper for the Mac10/45.

I have some projects and my dad is flush with Valmet mags at the moment so no rush on my end.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#15]
 I thought so.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top