Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2024 11:52:28 PM EDT
What is the difference between the rock n lock and a regular Galil metal surplus mag or is there a difference?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No difference
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
No difference
View Quote

Thanks

Finally a post on ARF that doesn't cost me money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
What is the difference between the rock n lock and a regular Galil metal surplus mag or is there a difference?

TIA
View Quote

AFAIK, the only way Galil mags work, is "rock n lock".

There are AR mag adapters but that is a whole nother kettle of fish.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

AFAIK, the only way Galil mags work, is "rock n lock".

There are AR mag adapters but that is a whole nother kettle of fish.
View Quote

I think he means the ones that are branded as "rock n lock" and not surplus.

The RnL look to be thicker/tighter around the tab/feedlips where it contacts the receiver.  But haven't had any issues with the ones I have.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:09:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#5]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

I think he means the ones that are branded as "rock n lock" and not surplus.

The RnL look to be thicker/tighter around the tab/feedlips where it contacts the receiver.  But haven't had any issues with the ones I have.
View Quote

exactly.  I have surplus Galil mags that all function, and were purchased for $15 ea or less.  I just purchased 5 more from the EE @ 20 ea. FJB I know...

I see the "RNL" mags advertised for 35-38 ea and was wondering if they are superior.  Now if the RNL mags were steel feed lips and locking lugs with an aluminum body, that would interest me.

Furthermore, from the reading I have been doing (I am new to the Galil) and I don't claim to be a Galil expert in any stretch of the imagination, the issue with surplus vs RNL vs Tapco seem to be the different receiver's variances and not the mags themselves.  I am sure that abused surplus mags could give you trouble, but across the board, a surplus mag in decent shape will work as long as it will fit in your particular gun.  Same goes for Tapco and RNL.  Its seems to be a matter of "Will it fit" more than will it function once inserted.  Like I said, I am new to the Galil, but that is my take away from what I have read.

Hell, I didn't even know exactly what a RNL mag was yesterday, I would just see them referenced in my reading, and also listed for sale at a much higher price than the others..

Thanks again for the replies
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The new IWI USA Galil “rock n lock” mags possess a bolt hold open follower, and are meant for the newer impored Galil ACE 5.56 rifles that use the old style magazines.

I have one (13” SBR), and I have yet to try an old Galil magazine in them. I may pick up a few surplus mags now that Wolff is selling replacement springs for them.

I picked up 15 of these when they were $25 a mag. Darn it, the price went up:

https://iwi.us/product/5-56-nato-rock-n-lock-magazine/
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my additional 5 surplus now for a total of 15, and I have 15 Tapco mags.  Even found 2 orlite mags at the fun show over the weekend.

I took them all out and did mag dumps in both of my Galils and all is well.  I think I am good on Galil mags now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By themao:

I picked up 15 of these when they were $25 a mag. Darn it, the price went up:

https://iwi.us/product/5-56-nato-rock-n-lock-magazine/
View Quote

Holy shit they jacked up the price!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ugh:
Holy shit they jacked up the price!
View Quote

I guess they need the money right now?!?!  IWI is in Israel correct?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

I guess they need the money right now?!?!  IWI is in Israel correct?
View Quote

Yes these are new Israeli made. Wait for when the store has 15-20% off specials.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top