Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2024 7:11:31 PM EDT
Have an AK I haven’t fired in many months, today it decided to act up by having the hammer follow the carrier while holding the trigger and cocking it.
No idea why, checked it, nothing seems out of place, and no foreign debris in the trigger group area.
Thankfully it was on a cleared rifle so no ND.

Ideas, comments, or possible reasons it’s just started doing it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
In a semi-auto AK there's really only three parts that can cause this...the hammer, the sear, the disconnecter.

First step is to remove the receiver cover, pull the trigger, pull the bolt back, and ease it forward while you watch what's going on.

With the trigger pulled, when the bolt moves back, the hammer should be caught by the disconnecter.
When the bolt moves forward the hammer should be held by the disconnecter until the trigger is released, at which point the hammer should be caught and held by the trigger hook.

Look for.....
Broken, worn, or damaged disconnecter in the area that engaged the hammer.
Broken, worn, or damaged hammer shelf where the trigger hook engages.
Broken, worn, or damaged trigger hook.

Fouling, bits of steel cases or other debris in the trigger assembly.
Rusted, broke or other wise damaged sear spring.
Free movement of the trigger and sear and good spring tension.
Broken, rusted, hammer spring, or hammer spring legs off the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:37:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#2]
On the function check it seems to work fine and both catches work, however if I rack it with authority and let it go I get follow most but not all of the time.
None of the parts look worn, out of place or broken.
Guess I’ll just replace the internals and see, if not I’ll have to find an AK smith.
I’ve put less than 300 rounds through this over 12 years, mostly just was a safe queen.

Thanks for the response, I do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's following through with a good bump you likely have very little contact with the disconnector. Assuming the trigger is pulled when you let the bolt go home.

Look at how much contact your disconnector has with the hammer and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I discovered I have the same.issue. I can't find a double hook trigger kit on-line. Any info on where I can pick one up?
Ive had my Norinco since1988. Many cases if ammo through it.

Any info on where I can fine the trigger group for sale would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:21:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#5]
Sorry I didn't see this until today, @Gunslinger808

This very likely can be fixed with a light massaging of the disconnector "foot", it may be worn enough that you have this situation, but may still have plenty of meat left on the hook, you just need to adjust the angle of the disco's foot by a little careful sanding, so it tilts farther forward and the hook portion resumes grabbing the hammer shelf when it should.

Pic below, arrow points to "foot", this is the part that rests on the trigger and controls how far forward the disco tilts:

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

Missing disconnector spring from someone who took it apart and didn’t put it back together correctly.
View Quote

Well that would sure do it. Easy enough to check for sure.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
That was it for me. Broken spring. 🤙 parts ordered
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
That was it for me. Broken spring. 🤙
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top