Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2024 7:36:01 PM EDT
I have bent 2 punches trying to get the bolt pins out of my Zastava ZPAP M70 bolt and they haven't even moved a nanometer. My Romy AK is not even close to this much of an issue, I just punch them out.
What can I do?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy or make a starter pin punch.
This is just a standard punch cut off to about 1/2 inch working length.  This prevents the punch from bending or flexing.
Often a nail set with the end stoned flat will work.

When you get a really tight pin don't just keep pounding on it, that can deform the pin and lock it even tighter in place.
Get the part in a FIRM no bounce-no move setup.
Normal benches will allow bouncing, so I've often done pin removal on a concrete floor with a pad of newspaper to prevent scratching.
Have a buddy help hold it in place if necessary.
Use the starter pin punch to get the pin moving out, then go to a longer punch.
If needed use a bench block with a hole to pass the pin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to buy a surplus cleaning kit with a yugo pin punch. I'd bent my other punches too.  Those bastards are in there tight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are you trying to remove them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
I had to buy a surplus cleaning kit with a yugo pin punch. I'd bent my other punches too.  Those bastards are in there tight.
View Quote

I used a surplus punch too, it didn't bend but it also didn't get it to move
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zealotmake] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Buy or make a starter pin punch.
This is just a standard punch cut off to about 1/2 inch working length.  This prevents the punch from bending or flexing.
Often a nail set with the end stoned flat will work.

When you get a really tight pin don't just keep pounding on it, that can deform the pin and lock it even tighter in place.
Get the part in a FIRM no bounce-no move setup.
Normal benches will allow bouncing, so I've often done pin removal on a concrete floor with a pad of newspaper to prevent scratching.
Have a buddy help hold it in place if necessary.
Use the starter pin punch to get the pin moving out, then go to a longer punch.
If needed use a bench block with a hole to pass the pin.
View Quote

We had also used a drill bit that could work as a starter punch, the pin didn't give. We even had it in an armorers block so it wouldn't move or wiggle :c
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you're sort of up excrement tributary without a manual propulsion device.

Try soaking in Kroil and if you can get to the other side try punching from that one.
Otherwise it's just a matter of holding it very firmly and using a strong starter punch and a larger hammer to give more mass impact on the pins.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top