Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/11/2024 5:44:04 PM EDT
I bought an SKS-M back around 1991 or so NIB for I believe 110 bucks.
I have the typical cover scope mount that will work off and on but then be way off zero.

I would like to know what is the current easy button for a good scope mount for this.  It can be rear or scout mounted.

I also ran into a Sporter being sold.  Well, “Sporetr” per the marking it received.  
It was TapCo’d out.  And 500 bucks was probably a waste, but if having an AK mag SKS is cool, then having two is extra cool.

I am either going to keep the regular sights or add a better rear sight.  Any tips on a better rear sight appreciated.
I also want to put a wood stock on it.  A source for a stock for an AK mag gun would be appreciated.
Also, if there is a spiker stock available for it, any tips on a spiker stock, spiker, and mounting it would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only comment on the choice for a rear sight for your sporter. I have a

type 52 sks and really had difficulty with the stock sight. I chose the Tech Sight

sks sight and very happy I did so. It gives you a lot more distance between the

front and rear sights which helps your aiming precision.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a SKS M wood thumbhole stock listed on Gun Broker right now. With tax and shipping it'll be three times the price you paid for your first SKS.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jimbo54:
There is a SKS M wood thumbhole stock listed on Gun Broker right now. With tax and shipping it'll be three times the price you paid for your first SKS.
View Quote

Thanks.
I was planning on just a regular type SKS stock though.
I did check gunbroker and eBay and was surprised at the prices in some of those thumbhole stocks for sure.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I feel like I need to check the spelling on my sporter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:12:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TKLOL] [#5]
LuckyShot

Good products but may take some time make.

Also, may be an issue with 922r but it could already be considered iffy due to the existing Tapco furniture.

Copperhead makes pistons and Murry’s Gun can supply the remaining parts for 922r (Trigger, Hammer & Sear). Murray or Kivarri can install those parts as well.

Not exactly sure of the parts count for an M/D but if you replaced all above you’d be at 6 US (Stock, Hand guard, Gas Piston, Trigger, Hammer, Sear). The total count of all US Parts would be subtracted from the ATF’s list of designated import parts that can be replaced (14 or so depending on the classification of the parts count of the M/D models). It’s something like less than 10 imported parts after you’ve added your US parts.

There are online resources that should be able to define the parts count for various models.

You could also possibly modify some import metal mags as AK’s allow the mag to count towards the US Parts (Follower and Floor plate). Zastava USA makes some of these now. Usually SKS 922r only allows for the mag body to be counted as standard SKS 10 rounders don’t have what we normally consider a “Follower”  and the really don’t have a floor plate…AK mag SKSs may have exceptions.

That said, if you plan on going this route, please do your homework and find out how 922r applies to that particular breed of SKS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#6]
Originally Posted By TKLOL:
LuckyShot

Also, may be an issue with 922r but it could already be considered iffy due to the existing Tapco furniture.

Copperhead makes pistons and Murry’s Gun can supply the remaining parts for 922r (Trigger, Hammer & Sear). Murray or Kivarri can install those parts as well.

Not exactly sure of the parts count for an M/D but if you replaced all above you’d be at 6 US (Stock, Hand guard, Gas Piston, Trigger, Hammer, Sear). The total count of all US Parts would be subtracted from the ATF’s list of designated import parts that can be replaced (14 or so depending on the classification of the parts count of the M/D models). It’s something like less than 10 imported parts after you’ve added your US parts.

There are online resources that should be able to define the parts count for various models.

You could also possibly modify some import metal mags as AK’s allow the mag to count towards the US Parts (Follower and Floor plate). Zastava USA makes some of these now. Usually SKS 922r only allows for the mag body to be counted as standard SKS 10 rounders don’t have what we normally consider a “Follower”  and the really don’t have a floor plate…AK mag SKSs may have exceptions.

That said, if you plan on going this route, please do your homework and find out how 922r applies to that particular breed of SKS.
View Quote

If it applies at all to individuals instead of manufacturers and importers.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By TKLOL:
LuckyShot

It’s vague for sure but some interpret swapping of the stock to be manufacturing or assembly.

There are 14 parts for Norinco SKS

He’s currently down to 12 with the Tapco furniture. 1 metal mag with a US follower and floor plate will get that configured to 10 or under.

While it may or may not be considered manufacturing or whether or not it would be applied to an individual vs an importer or actual manufacturer…I’d just buy the US modded mag as cheap insurance.

Form there he could install the lucky shot stock and still be in compliance (With the US modded mag) or he could restore it with one of the fugly import thumb hole stocks or the others that are more traditional…but now he’d have to use all import mags and ditch the US modded mag. It’s bullshit and shouldn’t apply to individuals but here we are.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top