Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 603Born:
It's supposed to be drilled and pinned.
View Quote

Huh.    This is how it looks taken apart.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
anybody have a pic of what it is suppose to look like?     Is this something I can fix myself?     Or, thread lock the hell out of it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#6]
The job is to screw in the gas piston, then back it off about 1/2 turn.  Don't screw it in tight.

Then precision drill the hole through the piston.  The hole in the piston should be slightly larger then the hole in the bolt carrier.

Use a Dremel carbide ball cutter or a countersink, to grind or cut a shallow countersink on each side of the hole in the carrier.

Insert a common nail or any other correct size mild steel that's a snug fit in the holes in the bolt carrier, but slightly smaller then the hole in the piston.

Use a ball peen hammer to rivet both sides of the pin, making sure the riveted ends flow into the countersunk holes in the carrier.

Grind/file the excess rivet off on both sides flush with the sides of the carrier.

Apply paint to the carrier to finish the job.

The countersunk hole on each side gives the rivet room to flow down below the surface of the carrier.  That way when the excess is ground off enough rivet remains to secure the pin.

Once riveted the gas pistol should have slight movement or wobble to allow the piston to self-align with the gas block.

The only difficulty is making certain the drill doesn't drift and go through the piston crooked.
If you're not sure on this, most any machine shop can do it for you easily.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The job is to screw in the gas piston, then back it off about 1/2 turn.  Don't screw it in tight.

Then precision drill the hole through the piston.  The hole in the piston should be slightly larger then the hole in the bolt carrier.

Use a Dremel carbide ball cutter or a countersink, to grind or cut a shallow countersink on each side of the hole in the follower.

Insert a common nail or any other correct size mild steel that's a snug fit in the holes in the bolt carrier, but slightly smaller then the hole in the piston.

Use a ball peen hammer to rivet both sides of the pin, making sure the riveted ends flow into the countersunk holes in the carrier.

Grind/file the excess rivet off on both sides flush with the sides of the carrier.

Apply paint to the carrier to finish the job.

The countersunk hole on each side gives the rivet room to flow down below the surface of the carrier.  That way when the excess is ground off enough rivet remains to secure the pin.

Once riveted the gas pistol should have slight movement or wobble to allow the piston to self-align with the gas block.

The only difficulty is making certain the drill doesn't drift and go through the piston crooked.
If you're not sure on this, most any machine shop can do it for you easily.
View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
For the curious, who built this AK?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The common statements for belief  is there should be wiggle and movement.   But Pin it  and have fun
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I was going to say - first time I have ever seen that in any AK type.  I hope you got this sorted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen many WASR rifles with this same condition.  Piston is usually torqued very tight, with zero wiggle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:03:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: demoMouse] [#13]
Originally Posted By vmax84:
Blue or red thread lock?  

https://i.imgur.com/f1mulSc.jpg
View Quote
drill and pin. If that’s not your bag use Rockset and crank that boss down as hard as you possibly can. Rockset has much better heat resistance than locktite
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:33:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cajun22] [#14]
Get one of these

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/517990C

And it should look like this

][/url]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]
You can roll pin it.  The pin is only preventing it from unscrewing.  KNS pistons ship with roll pins and they work fine.
It does appear you're missing the hole drilled through the silver piston part.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By demoMouse:
drill and pin. If that’s not your bag use Rockset and crank that boss down as hard as you possibly can. Rockset has much better heat resistance than locktite
View Quote

The piston needs a little wobble, I would not advise Rocket.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#17]
Now that I think about it, I don't believe my wasr piston is pinned either. I've shot it that way for years. Guess I found my next little project.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
Now that I think about it, I don't believe my wasr piston is pinned either. I've shot it that way for years. Guess I found my next little project.
View Quote

On a bunch of factory guns, they pin them and then blend them so well you can't even see the pin.  When drilling out the pins to swap to a KNS piston, you can really have to look hard for them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

On a bunch of factory guns, they pin them and then blend them so well you can't even see the pin.  When drilling out the pins to swap to a KNS piston, you can really have to look hard for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]
It is suppose to have a bit of play in it, but still needs to be pinned to keep it from backing out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
My WASRs I had back in 2004 had the piston welded into the carrier by Century Arms monkeys for 922r compliance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]
May I suggest if you don't feel like drilling your piston you can go to leesmags and he has surplus pistons w/ a new rivet for as little as $5 plus shipping. It's always nice to have a spare.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top