Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/17/2023 5:14:12 PM EDT
Hey guys. So this is my first time installing a trigger in a AK. I got a killer deal on a Elftmann trigger, I'm a huge fan of them for the AR world, so I couldn't pass it up. I've always heard that installing triggers in AK's can be tricky. I seem to have 2 issues so far.
1. One of my trigger pins is too big and wont go through either trigger or hammer, my other one will. Tried taking 800 grit sandpaper to the pin to help it which it did some but no luck going all the way through.
2. It originally came with a thumbhole stock which i swapped out many years ago. Apparently I didn't put back in the T nut for the grip screw so the back end of the trigger was resting on the top of the screw which I'm assuming isn't the correct way to install and adjust it.

I've ordered new pins and a T nut and grip screw from Palmetto State Armory. I'm hoping that will solve those issues.
Now any other issues that I may run into? I'm wondering with mine being a milled receiver as opposed to a stamped, will that affect anything?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the trigger parts have an undersized diameter.  Don’t sand down the pins, as they need to lock into the receiver on the right side…

And probably your grip screw is just a little too long.  You don’t need a T nut in a milled receiver, it is built in/riveted onto the receiver already.  

You can probably just trim down the grip screw if it is hitting the trigger parts, take a look to see how far it is protruding into the interior and how much can be trimmed down.  Just don’t fuck up the threads when doing it.  If you re-used the grip screw from the thumbhole stock it is most certainly not the correct length for a regular grip.

I would use a micrometer and figure out what the deal is on the pin not fitting into the trigger group.  Not familiar with the design, so hard to say what the deal is, but it most definitely it is not the pins, so don’t fuck with them.  You could use a micrometer to check the parts, or pin gauges, and see how close things are or not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:
Sounds like the trigger parts have an undersized diameter.  Don't sand down the pins, as they need to lock into the receiver on the right side

And probably your grip screw is just a little too long.  You don't need a T nut in a milled receiver, it is built in/riveted onto the receiver already.  

You can probably just trim down the grip screw if it is hitting the trigger parts, take a look to see how far it is protruding into the interior and how much can be trimmed down.  Just don't fuck up the threads when doing it.  If you re-used the grip screw from the thumbhole stock it is most certainly not the correct length for a regular grip.

I would use a micrometer and figure out what the deal is on the pin not fitting into the trigger group.  Not familiar with the design, so hard to say what the deal is, but it most definitely it is not the pins, so don't fuck with them.  You could use a micrometer to check the parts, or pin gauges, and see how close things are or not.
View Quote
One of the pins did fit, no problem. the other is maybe around a .01 off or even .001, maybe. i was essentially polishing on the pin, not removing material. just doing that did allow it to go about halfway through. but i wanted to try another pin before i went hacking on a part so i ordered a couple from PSA to try. the elftmann triggers use a needle bearing design on their triggers and they are machined very tightly.

I did consider cutting the screw. but I'm not familiar enough with the AK world to start doing that kind of work on a part yet. I do know that there are numerous differences between a milled and stamped receiver, but I don't know what exactly. When i was ordering the pins i saw the pistol grip screw and T nut and assumed that the T nut is what I needed, i ordered those also. So you're saying a milled receiver doesn't use the T nut? and the back part (tail) of the trigger should just rest on the frame itself? it has a locking nut and a set screw on the trigger to adjust the release i believe.
thanks for the help, again I'm fairly new to the AK world.

Link Posted: 10/26/2023 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the new trigger pins in from PSA and that did the trick! I also got a new pin holder, which is a much better design than just a "paperclip". And the pistol grip screw was a big help also. Plus, apparently, I didn't need the "T-nut" for the grip since it's a milled receiver. It took a little bit of work and tuning to get it just right but overall I recommend the Elftmann AK trigger. It seems much more simple than a traditional AK trigger.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top