Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2020 9:05:21 AM EDT
I want to get into building an ak and I am curious what the consensus among the builders in the thread is about the viability of building an AK during the current time is or at the very least, the consensus about buying ak flats or 80% lowers at the current time to complete a build at a later date?  I ask because although I have been able to find AK receiver flats and "80%" receivers, all the parts kits are sold out for the most part.  So the additional question would be, are the parts kits likely to be sold out for a long period of time due to the election and what do people think about the viability of being able to get the parts kits when the election is said and done?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Very worth it if you like taking the time and pride to do such things. It normally cost more to build than buy if you consider tools and everything needed. If you will build more than one over time it is a good path. Parts kits come and go. Market will be dry then one day some company will get a pallet in and they will sell like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The tools needed to do it right are pricey, so no it is not worth it from the perspective of dollars and cents.  If you are handy and careful you can probably assemble and fit it substantially better than any AK you can buy from the big suppliers, and take pride in having done such a thing.  

Reality is a good AR is a far better weapon.  But if you enjoy the ride who cares.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt we will see any serious volume of kits back in the marketplace unless PSA makes them. It was an executive order by Bush Sr. that created the whole parts importation market when banned the import of complete guns. Clinton executive ordered Chinese guns and parts out of existence. I think Biden will at the very least ban importation of all guns that are scary-looking and all parts of those guns.

But even without an executive order, the parts kits are mostly from former combloc countries that joined NATO between 1999 and 2004. Those countries chopped up their rifles and sold some quantity of the parts to us. I suspect a lot of them just became recycled steel. It's been a long time since the iron curtain came down and I suspect the parts are scarce as hen's teeth by now.

I recently started to finish all the little projects I had parts for.  I want to have everything finished before January.

Since I planned on having high after-market content in my AK74 build, I decided to scrounge individual parts.  Not only has that proven expensive and frustrating, but the aftermarket parts I want have also dried up since I started.  Basically, everything I can find now is either obsolete or cheap trash.

Others have mentioned the tooling cost, which is hundreds of dollars.  I think I'll end up spending around $1000 for just the tools that I'll never use again.

If you are looking for more of a challenge than an AR15 build, try an AR10.  If you want something that has a lot of hand-work, but a low tool cost try a 1911.  Expensive files are under $20 and you'll use them for the rest of your life.  You can get parts from Nighthawk Custom or Wilson Combat with the money you save on not buying tools.

To me building my guns is "worth it" because I get a great deal of satisfaction out of figuring out the process and shooting them.  But the AK right now is my nightmare.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't let the tooling cost bother you too much. Either plan on doing several to spread out the cost, or just sell the tools afterwards for roughly what you paid.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn’t let the cost of tools be a barrier if you really want to do this. You are not going to pay it all in one order and just like any build project you will buy here and there as they come available. I’m probably about 3 months ahead of you as far as tools but I have bought everything pretty much as far as AK specific. The rivet tools are the most expensive but I see you got flats so the bending die is 175. It does add up and easily will be at least 1000 for all tools. However keep in mind much of that cost is for drills, press, you will need a used kiln if you are buying flats. Point is much of the cost is for tools you can use for non gun work. Everybody needs a decent Drill Press and prob a press too if you do things around the house.

As far as the situation all I can say is I have been in and out of this buying building craze since 2008 and though its tempting, don’t get swept away in the doom and gloom, the end of times thought process. I don’t think AR or AK building will die Jan 20 or soon after. What I do think is smart is buy those parts, tools that are most critical first. Meaning I wouldn’t bother with a bending die until you get a kit with barrel. No need for non specific ak tools until you get all your AK tools. Nobody is going to run out of Drill Presses obviously so don’t worry about that stuff for now. Common sense yes. But thats all any of this really is. Sure you can buy a gun cheaper but you wont find what you want online. If you are interested in kits then I’m guessing you’re not interested in what retailers are selling as far as AK’s. Its not different than AR’s in that sense. If you want something based on your needs and interests you have to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen a LOT of kits for sale. Even from major suppliers.i have talked with a few and they said their imports have dried up mostly due to covid. I do wish the krink kits come back so I can do my SBR build that I decided to do back in 07. Just sucks my kit was stolen back then
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It wasnt worth it until Biden was cheated in. Now its worth it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By governmentman:
I wouldn't let the tooling cost bother you too much. Either plan on doing several to spread out the cost, or just sell the tools afterwards for roughly what you paid.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes it is worth it.  Like everyone has said that first AK is going to be an expensive one.  But years down the road you'll be cranking out parts kit rifles of exceptional quality and rarity that others can't get their hands on for anywhere near the same price.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Alshooter1526:
I want to get into building an ak and I am curious what the consensus among the builders in the thread is about the viability of building an AK during the current time is or at the very least, the consensus about buying ak flats or 80% lowers at the current time to complete a build at a later date?  I ask because although I have been able to find AK receiver flats and "80%" receivers, all the parts kits are sold out for the most part.  So the additional question would be, are the parts kits likely to be sold out for a long period of time due to the election and what do people think about the viability of being able to get the parts kits when the election is said and done?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
View Quote

Its worth it knowing it was built by you.. There is a guy on youtube who took an airplane rivet gun and converted it to make AKs with. And his guns look pretty nice. You will have to spend a few dollars on tooling costs. But like someone else said just plan on building a few. You do want a few???
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Like was stated. High start up costs (especially these days) but can be spread across if you plan on doing quite a few. The selling used tools is a good idea up to a point. It depends on when you get ready to sell because there may not be much of a market for home builders who are getting into the game due to costs and kit availability.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
rifle build class at rifle dynamics
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:43:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#13]
Uh, where are you finding 80% flats and receivers?

Are they still legal to buy?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

View Quote

This thread is from 2020...
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Ha thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By akethan:
No.
View Quote

If you already have the tooling it might be for legit .mil kits. Would probably save a couple 100.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seen a LOT of kits for sale.
View Quote

Where?

The few I've seen are $600 - $800 each.

BTW, rivet squishers were pretty cheap a few years ago.  You just buy a bolt cutter & they sold just the jaws for it already set up to replace the cutter jaws.  Some guys made their own squisher using the cutter jaws.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
PSA should sell parts kits
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top