BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 10:20:17 PM EDT
Questions guys.
What are the most reliable 30 round mags for an ak now days
Where to get a cheap but proper length cleaning rod.
Where to get a good surplus bayonet for it
Thank you
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't find a blem on my PSA, and it shoots well.

I have had success with a motely collection of mixed ak mags, it's not finicky. But I bought some magpuls for my next trip.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
For a good mix of reliable and inexpensive mags, these are one of the best deals if you're not adverse to plastic:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-reinforced-steel-lug-polymer-magazine.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been contemplating picking up a psa ak103.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
For a good mix of reliable and inexpensive mags, these are one of the best deals if you're not adverse to plastic:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-reinforced-steel-lug-polymer-magazine.html
View Quote

Seconded on these.

New production Bulgarian steel mags are on the site also if you want classic looks without going surplus.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By windham:
Questions guys.
Where to get a cheap but proper length cleaning rod.
Where to get a good surplus bayonet for it
Thank you
View Quote

Any steel mag from former com bloc countries will perform well. Same for Chinese mags. I can’t speak to the Korean steel or host of synthetics that are out now.

As a side note, I was wondering why you were asking about bayo’s and cleaning rods. It’s pretty cool that PSA includes those capabilities. I might have to get one. I have an AK bayonet lying around here somewhere. LOL

I did crack up at one of the reviews, though. Guy claims his PSA AK103 is a much “flatter” shooting AK than others he fired. Orly? Exactly how does that happen?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By windham:
View Quote
Surplus steel mags will always be the best.

PSA mags are decent.  Magpul PMags are OK.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

Any steel mag from former com bloc countries will perform well. Same for Chinese mags. I can’t speak to the Korean steel or host of synthetics that are out now.

As a side note, I was wondering why you were asking about bayo’s and cleaning rods. It’s pretty cool that PSA includes those capabilities. I might have to get one. I have an AK bayonet lying around here somewhere. LOL

I did crack up at one of the reviews, though. Guy claims his PSA AK103 is a much “flatter” shooting AK than others he fired. Orly? Exactly how does that happen?
View Quote

Probably the brake, unless he’s shot others with the same brake on it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

View Quote

PSA got that special drop-straightener barrel, like throwing a baseball side-arm ya know.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

Probably the brake, unless he's shot others with the same brake on it.
View Quote
this.

I used to bore out 74 brakes  and use a 14x1 to 24 thread adapter and put hem on all my AKs back in the day. The 74 muzzle breaks just works.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Redman556] [#11]
Metal, original Eastern European magazines. They last forever. I've got some from the 60s that still look new, and that function flawlessly. I don't know what they go for now, but they're cheap enough to avoid the polymer mags. I use Polymer mags on my AR15, Lancer AWM , but I don't like polymer on an AK.

My son's GF3 runs great, and is very accurate for an AK.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:28:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#12]
In spite of all the SMEs that shout “soft metal” about these, this one has eaten at least a couple of cases of Tula since this photo and it’s still running strong. It is extremely accurate and has one of the best triggers of any stock AK, I’ve ran. It is still as it came from PSA other than the optic, light, sling, BCM grip, vortex, and krylon. It was a $500 blem but I couldn’t find a blem anywhere on it.

I’ve had good luck with the USP AK30 mags with this one. The SS latch cage version, not the polymer. I sometimes run magpul Moe mags on the range with decent results but I wouldn’t use them for anything hard use.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
MP.  PMag standard and metal reinforced are excellent for cheap polymer mags.

Circle 10 are excellent but spendy.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
it is easier to eliminate mags than list the ones that work.  I have 300+ AK mags.  So far the only ones that have NOT worked consistently and across the board were the Croatian NIW mags.  And even they work in some of my AKs, just not all of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
it is easier to eliminate mags than list the ones that work.  I have 300+ AK mags.  So far the only ones that have NOT worked consistently and across the board were the Croatian NIW mags.  And even they work in some of my AKs, just not all of them.
View Quote

I don't like those, and I don't like the Korean mags.

Everything else has been GTG. Prefer surplus followed by the new Bulgarians with the plastic followers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#16]
If you can still find them, Tapco mags are GTG.  I have seen a guy in the EE selling them for $5 each.  I bought about 10 if I remember correctly, and have about 30 total of different styles and colors.

Don't get all concerned with the so called SHTF battle testing of AK mags some self proclaimed "Experts" claim are nessicary.  

If an AK mag fits and feeds in your AK, then it is good to go.  Problem is, AKs are so sporadic across the board with their specs, that not all magazines, will fit all AKs.  

This is a hard lesson for those crossing over from ARs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top