Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2019 7:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster]
Was at my local dealer's when he asked me if I would be interested in a "basket case" AK project.  It is an MISR barreled receiver (with threads turned off), along with a big bag of all the parts to go with it, as well as the original wood (with a funky butt plate), which was badly sanded.

This MAADI will be a perfect platform to do a Kali featureless build with.  The bag had a Tapco G2 FCG, which was a good thing.  It also had the gas block replaced with one with the bayonet lug still intact. I may try threading the barrel 1/2x28 like some have, and using a CNC Warrior 1/2x28 slant brake.  If not, I'll use a standard muzzle nut soldered on so the bayonet worked.  The paint is awful and I plan on stripping and repainting it.  Rustoleum Semi-gloss High Temp black worked great on the Saigas I redid, so I will try that.

Until about a year ago, I have continuously had an AK since the mid 80s when I got  a Poly Tech Type 56 Spiker.  Lat year I let my Hungarian Under-folder go because it sucked as a featureless build.  I still have my mags, so I figured it was time to get another AK, and the price was definitely right! (but I'm not saying how much!)
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally got some pictures of my Egyptian Girl....  All matching numbers, by the way.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It was filthy and broken down in pieces in a box when I got it. It cleaned up really nicely, though.   The top handguard spring (goes around gas tube) was shot, so I replaced that with a NOS one I had kicking around from when I did Saige restorations back in the day.  The gas tube was also a corroded mess, so I replaced it with a NOS gas tube (Hungarian, I think) I also had in my AK parts box. It had no cleaning rod, so I got one off ebay, and I got  Hungarian muzzle nut from Apex.  The muzzle on the MAADI was turned down to around 1/2", so the nut slipped on very nice.  I used JB Weld to attach it.  It came with the original gas block with the bayonet lug neutered, but the prior owner replaced it with a gas block with bayonet lug.  It was pinned perfect, so whoever did it knew what they were doing.

The bayonet was as pictured, so I ordered a rubber insulator and hanger for the sheath to finish it off.  The mags I have had since I had a CA RAW in the 80s.  The chest pouch is a Chinese Type 81 four cell pouch that I upgraded with Fastex buckles.  I also have a Hungarian 5 cell shoulder bag and a Russian three cell pouch and some other magazines kicking around.  The Kydex paddle is to make it California "Featureless" so it is not an Assault Weapon.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a magazine full of Tulammo 122 FMJs to check function.  Shooting freehand from a standing position, it is absolutely dead nuts on at 25 yards (with rear sight on 200), whacked 3"-4" pinecones with every shot.  That should easily do a 12" gong at 100 yards.... Heck With my 67 year old eyes, 100 yards is about all I can do with Iron Sights, even with my 1/7 twist M4gery using MK262 MOD1 77 grainers..

Certainly good enough for  Goblin/Zombie/Troll/Raving Insurrectionist whacker at 200 yards or under.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rifle! You did a great job putting it back together.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great, and fun project. Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I could not believe how well it cleaned up!  The wood was bare, so I sanded it a bit and gave it a couple coats of 50/50 Boiled Linseed Oil/Mineral Spirits.  The picture below has it with an unknown Com-Block brown bakelite grip to replace the ugly US made black bakelite ones that Century put on for 922R.  

Also shows the bayonet with the correct hanger and rubber insulator, and has a couple of my Magpul M3s loaded with Ulyanovsk 8M3 "Effect" 124 HPs.  I have a couple hundred rounds of the 1990s white box with blue writing that I have kept.  Cases are lacquer coated with sealed primers and case mouths.  Stuff is nasty!

It is my current Zombie/Goblin/Troll/Raving Insurrectionist whacker.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajunkraut] [#7]
Yeah, people seem to either love or hate the lacquer coated stuff.  

The pro is that it will store more or less indefinitely.  The con is that it can get messy and gum things up.  

Shelf life gets my vote, and my Maadi eats it without issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I thought I had a Tapco FCG in it, but it turns out it is the original Century "C" marked one they put in for 922R compliance.  Trigger pull isn't bad, but I found someone online that had NOS Tapco G2s for $32 and ordered it.

On a side note, I had fits trying to get the old FCG out.  One the Century FCG will not let you remove the safety lever before taking out the trigger assembly.  Second, the previous owner had used superglue on the retaining spring (odd design I have never seen before) for the FCG pins! It was glued in place on the inside of the receiver.  I finally got the spring loose, so the pins can easily be removed like they should.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster] [#9]
While my grip wrap with a thumb rest works well, I ordered a Phoenix technology featureless grip to try ($20),

Also thinking about an East German pebble pattern polymer stock set or an Atlantic Firearms faux-Bakelite (nylon and polymer) set.  I had an Atlantic set on a converted Saiga, and really liked it!  It was light and tough.  With the Atlantic set and Magpul mags, it was significantly lighter than wood furniture and the steel mags.

Since it is a MISR-10 SA, and came without grip or FCG, and the muzzle turned down, it isn't really collectable as such, I thought I would dress up;  Picks from the web.  

East German stock set

Atlantic faux-bakelite set

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top