Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2024 2:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001]
Back in 2017 I picked up a 54r Vepr and put it in a great looking Ironwood Designs skeleton stock. Over time I added a Tabuk flash-hider, RSRegulate mount + Trjicon AccuPoint and picked up several of the Csspecs singe stack magazines. All pretty high-end stuff.

It's been a horrible shooter no matter the ammo. 4-6" groups. Peculiar discoveries and issues initially reviewed here:

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/my-54r-vepr-woes.442967/
https://www.theakforum.net/threads/my-54r-vepr-woes.321598/#post-3034088

Trijicon replaced the AccuPoint during the middle of Covid, I had a gunsmith repair and reseat the only two mounting points of the buttstock (inside of the rear of the receiver and just behind it via rear tang). Unfortunately, the IWD stock does not provide for a pistol grip screw into the bottom of the receiver the way the original, sissy, Montecarlo thumbhole does. I’d all but given up on it relegating it to the back of the safe.

Today, I took it out and predictably shot 4-6” groups. Removed the flash-hider, no difference. It’s always bothered me that the front handguard fastened directly into the base of the barrel via screw so I pulled it and shot with the font end naked . . .

and LOW & BEHOLD (wi 180gr S&B) . . . . .

No handguard = 1.25" group (with a flier)
Wi handguard = 4+" group

No other AKM pattern rifle I’ve ever owned, nor to the best of my knowledge, has ever fastened a stock/hand-guard directly to the barrel in this way. Frankly I don't think I have any rifle with this feature. Anyone else feel this is the cause of my ills? What to do? There’s no easy way I can see to alter/modify this means of fastening the handguard. Anyone else discover similar? Is this just wrong? Wondering if I should I put it all back into it’s original thumbhole configuration and try again?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks a bit longer than 16”.
I am surprised of the barrel flex with that handguard.
PSL rifles seem to use the endcap system.
Maybe you can find a rail system that groups better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that handguard lug pinned on there?

Pretty sure mine is just dimpled like the gas block (7.62x39 slantback) and IIRC so were the ones on my .308's I used to own.

Never had that problem with the SGM handguards I used to run that used that lug for attachment, and not having any issues now running a Zhukov-U which is clamped to the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnGA:
Looks a bit longer than 16”.
View Quote

This, looks like a 20" barrel to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Is that handguard lug pinned on there?

Pretty sure mine is just dimpled like the gas block (7.62x39 slantback) and IIRC so were the ones on my .308's I used to own.

Never had that problem with the SGM handguards I used to run that used that lug for attachment, and not having any issues now running a Zhukov-U which is clamped to the barrel.
View Quote

Handguard lug pinned

Barrell is 18-19"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
https://slrrifleworks.com/ak-11-5-mid-mlok-s/

Here ya go
View Quote

So how would that fasten?

Choose Mod 4 Mount for: VEPR

Note - New version MOLOT VEPR AK's with large HG retainer will have to remover retainer to use HG. OEM retainer will not fit inside HG.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to look into some alternate aftermarket handguard options. Wonder if overgassing can affect accuracy? For a battle rifle caliber AKM pattern rifle it is sure has a violent impulse in the hands and throws brass 25 to 30 ft. Worth investing in a KNS piston?

I love that CSSpecs went through the engineering and time to create a really quality single stack magazine for these rifles.  Love ALL they do, but, good grief such a PITA to load and always finicky rocking into the mag well. Lot of sharp edges and I just hate single stack in general. I'm thinking I should have gone with a 308 version at the time but I have so much 54r to burn up I wanted to buy a rifle to help feed on my stash
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top