Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2022 5:25:40 PM EDT
Found this at a local shop back in 1990s. Been stored for a while but finally removed the thumb hole stock and was surprised to see flat instead of slanted receiver.  

Any ideas for US made wood stock options would be nice on this?

Any ideas for addressing the barrel threading and front sight replacement?

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By john575:
Palmetto stock set
View Quote

That's not the correct furniture. Yes he can make it work. I'm  also waiting on PSA to release the furniture that is correct.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Wood - www.kalishnicarver.com

If your front sight was drilled and still has the detent in it (often mashed in) - you probably can work it out by removing the front sight pin at the barrel and with threading metric or if turned down too much -1/2x 28.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a MAK 90 that I wanted to turn into a shooter, not a clone of anything. Did the following:

Borrowed a die from EMT1851 and threaded the barrel to 14:1 LH and installed an A2 style flash hider.
Installed a Magpul Zhukov side folder stock and black polymer foregrip.
Installed an Ultimak railed gas tube and added a Primary Arms MD-06 RDS on a QD base.
Basic weapon light on an offset ring mount.
Installed a Geissele ALG AKtrigger and a Shepherds crook retainer.

It is a rock solid rifle that shoots great and is utterly, completely reliable. It resides in an easily accesible place, loaded with 123 soft point ammo. Ready to go in a second, and did I say it is 100% reliable. It has killed a few hogs and the odd water jug here and there.

Don't give single flying fuck about whether its a clone, original, or anything else. It has one purpose. To go bang EVERY SINGLE TIME I PULL THE TRIGGER. It serves that purpose perfectly.

As noted, there are several options for original wood if you're going that way OP. Keep at it. Post up when you get it the way you want it. For all the trash talkers, they've always been very serviceable and reliable rifles. They work when a lot of others stuff won't.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The guy that was the go to for AK furniture kicked off and I don’t guess his estate sold the business yet.  Other than that you can order furniture from Poly if you catch it in stock.  Second hand is the next option along with Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AKaTom:

That's not the correct furniture. Yes he can make it work. I'm  also waiting on PSA to release the furniture that is correct.
View Quote

Forgive my ignorance, why wouldn’t that kit be correct?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAdams:

Forgive my ignorance, why wouldn’t that kit be correct?
View Quote

The stock set above is for a European rifle with a 1mm thick reciever. Chinese AK's have a 1.5mm reciever. Also the stock angle is different. As I said it can be made to fit, and that's what i did to my own MAK90.

Picture below would be ideal if they ever get them in stock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is mine with the wrong type stock. Also check out the muzzle. They welded on a muzzle nut.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I really miss my Mak90! (It was stolen by a family member) I was lucky when I bought it at a gun show, there was a nearby table with the proper Chinese furniture to replace the thumb hole stock.
   It was a fantastic reliable shooter and it looked so much better with the proper pistol grip and stock.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shadows] [#10]

The stock set above is for a European rifle with a 1mm thick reciever. Chinese AK's have a 1.5mm reciever. Also the stock angle is different. As I said it can be made to fit, and that's what i did to my own MAK90.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/63356/Screenshot_20220705-143158_Opera_jpg-2442615.JPG
View Quote

Wow Yes….that would be the perfect color too.  Very similar to original.  

So on your welded barrel, does that mean likely threaded barrel underneath?

Also…want to replace trigger group with USA made.  Any good available recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rubicon777] [#11]
If you’re handy.
It’s pretty easy to thread the bbl if it has enough meat on it.
The front sight block can be drilled to install a detent.
Most standard wood can be filed to fit.
ALG AKT is a excellent  trigger.
They make great springs also.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By shadows:

Also…want to replace trigger group with USA made.  Any good available recommendations?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shadows:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/63356/Screenshot_20220705-143158_Opera_jpg-2442615.JPG

I'm guessing it's threaded under there. I have been tempted to cut the welds and see but decided I like it ok as is.

I like the factory trigger just fine. So no help there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#13]
It wants to be converted to a Norinco Hunter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 390ish:
It wants to be converted to a Norinco Hunter.
View Quote

Had to Google that one. Yea that's an option
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd grind that weld on that nut and reveal the threads under it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cajun22:
I'd grind that weld on that nut and reveal the threads under it.
View Quote

I bought that rifle new in the box, not sure what year. Anyways I'm getting up there in age and even if I cut that weld, I'd put a actual muzzle nut on it. I have a bunch of them. Not a fan of the slant one. I'll just leave it as is. My son can do whatever after I'm gone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOMIL] [#17]
I finally finished my MAK 90 "conversion" (added a 3rd position while I was it. I debated doing this to a Chinese gun, but what the hell, I paid $125 for it in 1991)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MOMIL:
I finally finished my MAK 90 "conversion" (added a 3rd position while I was it. I debated doing this to a Chinese gun, but what the hell, I paid $125 for it in 1991)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65552/20220815_161001_jpg-2507767.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65552/20220815_161013_jpg-2507768.JPG
View Quote

That rifle turned out awsome!
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:44:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MOMIL] [#19]
Thanks! The hardest part to find was the stock set. I did go ahead and ceracoat it as the left side was covered in rough electro pencil. As a side note, here are some pics of a transferable underfolder I had years back. It was a conversion gun that we marked with Chinese characters and refinished. It was always pretty cool.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up a K-VAR Warsaw length black polymer stock for my MAK 90.  Took a bit of grinding / shaping to get it to fit, but it's in there tight and flush.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MOMIL:
Thanks! The hardest part to find was the stock set. I did go ahead and ceracoat it as the left side was covered in rough electro pencil. As a side note, here are some pics of a transferable underfolder I had years back. It was a conversion gun that we marked with Chinese characters and refinished. It was always pretty cool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65552/AK_Left_Side_JPG-2509419.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65552/AK_Right_Side_JPG-2509420.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65552/AK_JPG-2509421.JPG
View Quote

Wow just wow! Beyond cool!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The part that I can’t find is a gas block!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#23]
With lack of original parts you could go two ways first just get a Type 3 fsb and gas block then get a PSA buttstock with Pgrip only stain to match original hand guards call it a day or second wait till a spiker underfolder bayo assembly comes up buy it around $450 then get a type 3 gas block thread barrel muzzlenut and psa buttstock with p-grip stain to match oem handguards call it a day?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top