Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 3:06:24 AM EDT
Isn't the traditional slant muzzle "brake" on AKs really a compensator than a brake? A brake lowers recoil, a compensator decreases the muzzle moving in a certain direction. If I'm not mistaken, the traditional slant muzzle brake will make the recoil go more straight backward, rather than back and on an angle. Also if I'm not mistaken, it also helps prevent muzzle flip, and it makes the rifle flip straight up, rather than on an angle.

Can someone recommend a compensator/flash hider for an AK? I don't want a muzzle brake that lowers recoil because they are loud and I rather have my shoulder be hit than my ears.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#1]
The M16A2 brake is a good combination of brake and comp. There are 1x14LH versions out there.  CNC Warrior has one, plus a few other flash hider designs.  https://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1884

The AKM slant brake was designed because it was determined on full auto the AK went up and to one side (can't remember which side offhand). It's just a simple cup to direct gasses to counter that.  It's useless for semi-auto fire.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
The M16A2 brake is a good combination of brake and comp. There are 1x14LH versions out there.  CNC Warrior has one, plus a few other flash hider designs.  https://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1884

The AKM slant brake was designed because it was determined on full auto the AK went up and to one side (can't remember which side offhand).

View Quote

If you can find them the Draco A2 compensators have three position detent stops so you can time them to have a counter the torque effect
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:43:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#3]
ETA: Oops, reading is fundamental, I need more coffee.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The old taco slot break that looks like a cuts compensator off a Thompson smg is a good one as well. Hard to find these days though.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top