Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2004 3:11:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like the plum color and darkened grain that old oiled stocks get, try KIWI Cordovan shoe polish in the tin.  Gives a nice aged Russian look.  This is for oiled stocks only, like the Yugos and the Polish front handguards.  I havent tried putting a surface finish (like urethane or varnish) over it, but I would think adhesion might be a problem because the KIWI has a wax base.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_1522] [#3]
What would the process be for using liquid Rit dye?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone able to send me the colors needed for refinishing a stockset? RIT dye is nowhere to be bought in Europe....
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What places sell RIT Dye ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you very much for the info  Jeep.  Much appreciated!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.  I am refinishing two set of Romanian wood right now, I've got the wood stripped and washed, but I am waiting to figure out what dyes to buy.  

Have you guys used these numbers of red, yellow and brown with success on Romanian wood?  Seems simple enough.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice post but how about a pic for a fellow Jeeper of the finished wood so a noob like me can take a look ...

Link Posted: 4/23/2006 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I wrote up a tutorial on using RIT dye.  It has several pictures of the finished product.  www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=198
Link Posted: 7/22/2006 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
anyone got any pics of how just using golden yellow comes out?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I used all of your excellent directions but used Minwax Red Oak instead of Rit Dye.  It turned out a very nice, deep red.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The furniture on my WASR-10 is really rough, is there a different mixture to get the stain like the set on the top of this picture, or do I just not use alcohol?  Maybe 2 Brown to 1 red, and still use the alcohol?  I'm really new to this.

Link Posted: 4/25/2007 8:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7point62] [#15]
i used food coloring! it only costs about $3 for a multi pack red, yellow ,blue, and green.
mix with some rubbing alcohol
you can do just about any color, mix till you like.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2007 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried the Rit Dye. Sunshine Orange.  Gave me just the color I have been wanting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Before and after pictures:

http://hometown.aol.com/u873/images/2%20romanian

http://hometown.aol.com/u873/images/ak%20wood%20redo.jpg

I would of never thought of using Rit Dye until I read all of the above.  Works great.
Cheaper than stain.
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 12:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunplumber] [#18]
I use Mahawk brand dye with the mahawk dried laquer mixed with alcohol.  The weird thing is it seems to darken and coagulate over time, so now I'mm oly mixing enough for wqhatever batch of 20 stock sets I'm doing.  I mix a batch and it takes 5 coates to get the depth of red I wanted, but then a week later the same stuff is too dark in one coat (mohawk red mahogany shifting to "oxblood".

Anyway, I just cut it with some more alcohol and fresh lac  flakes.  I switch to amber from red if the first two coates ge the color I want.

Since these are production guns, I mix it thin enough to dunk without getting too much pooling.  drip dries in about 10 minutes, so I can do 5 coats on 20 stocks in a couple hours.

Then I let it dfry overnight, buff with steel wool, then hit with 1-2 final coats.

I've also used the bullseye brand of amber varnish from ACE hardware, it works well for amber, but I like to thin it.

heres a darker "oxblood"

and a lighter "dark red mahogany"

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
do You think there is a way to sub some of thoes colors to make an fadded grey blue effect?

height=8
Originally Posted By Jeepcreep:
I have had a couple eMails about my "formula" for the Russian finish tint. There are a couple was to go about this. First of all some people would have you believe that this can only be accomplished by some soooper secret method, not true! Anybody with mild wood refinishing skills can accomplish it, but they need to take their time!

For you Chemical Engineer types out there......

The Varnish formula is as follows:
Russian Gun Stock Varnish

Percent

Spar Varnish 98.920
Bayer Macrlolex Yellow 6G 0.800
Finos Red 693 0.125
Finos Blue 1402 0.155

Heat to 150-180F for 2 hours. Shake or shear contents for 10 minutes. Filter when cooled to room temp through 100 micron bag.

This isn't too much help for those of us who are not Chemical Engineers, or access to a full chemical lab. There is however another way for the common man to accomplish this feat. Here is an example of what can be done with some simple products and some time

For the Homebrew types........

Required materails
Rit Dye
#42 Golden Yellow
#25 Dark Brown
#16 Tan
#5 Scarlet
Isopropyl Alcohol
Yellow Varnish
0000 Steel Wool
mixing cups
cheese cloth(I have used coffee filters also)
rags
brush

Start off by putting a few teaspoons of the yellow dye in the filter materail, then pour a cup of alcohol thru it. The reason is we want the color, but not the salts. After it has filtered thru once then pour it thru again and again until you have a bright yellow mixture. (Side note: if you wanted to duplicate the light Chinese wood finish you would stop here) Now get another filter this time do this with the scarlet. Then depending on the "brown hue" you want either the the tan or the dark brown. (you won't need much of this mixture).

Now, slowly add some red to the yellow making an orangish (Iodine) colored mixture. Find a piece or a spot of the wood that is not so noticable, and "stain it" using some of your rag materail. Adjust color to suit mixing in more red, yellow, brown, etc.

I usually put on about 3 coats of this lightly buffing in between with 0000 steel wool. Next with your wood "tinted" Open your Yellow Varnish. DO NOT SHAKE!!!!!, this will cause bubbles in your finish. Slowly stir with a wooded stick. Using a brush to apply. Apply light coats, again AFTER each coat has had time to dry lightly buff with 0000 steel wool. I do not buff after the final coat as you want very light brush marks to remain.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#20]
For "odd" colors like Grey-Blue, I recommend using LEATHER DYE.
The type I used to stain woods was Tandy Pro Alcohol-based leather dye.
Tandy recently discontinued it and replaced it with an "Eco-Dye" that's water based.

Water-based dyes are great for wood, since they soak in fast and give true colors.
Thin well with alcohol to prevent staining the wood too dark.

I used Tandy Red, Yellow, and Cordovan (Red-Brown) to do my AK stock, and it worked MUCH better than the RIT dyes, plus the leather dye contains no salt like the RIT does.

For odd ball colors, like an OD Green stock, or in your case, a Gray-Blue, this should be the best since you can get the leather dyes in MANY colors including Blue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:24:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 22zSteve] [#21]
The Yugo is red leather dye and a little yellow.  In the sun this really pops. Looks like candy apple red.  The romy is yellow food coloring. both have multiple coats of Deft clear.  Wood was bleached in deckwash acid and then clorox. It also helps to soak the wood in acetone to get out the oil.

Isn't AK building Fun, Steve

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t56/22zSteve/DSCF4181.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t56/22zSteve/DSCF4180.jpg

Link Posted: 10/2/2008 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
how about some pics please
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Is it really all that important to filter out the salt?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TMM] [#24]
Here's a useful tip for running the de-natured alchohol through the Rit dye...

Instead of using a paper coffee filter to contain and hold the dye powder to run the alchohol through, today as I was mixing up some of the Russian red stain for my WASR 10/63's wood, I happened to have one of those
gold mesh coffee filters that was left over from a dead coffee maker. It's the kind that uses the cone shaped filters to brew.

I just put the dye in the filter, set the filter over an old mason jar to catch the liquid and poured the alchohol over the dye. No waiting six months for a little dab of alchohol to drain through a paper filter, it ran right through.

With another jar at the ready, I poured the dye solution back and forth over the dye several times till it looked about right, dumped the dye residue in the trash can, ran water over the gold mesh filter and continued on with my stain job on the wood.

By the way, it turned out beautiful.

( Don't know if it'd be a good idea to use the one your wife makes her morning coffee with though )
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a WASR id like to refinish but have never refinished anything so sorry for the beginner questions.

Is the purpose of these steps originality? can you not get a similar style stain and sealant at say, lowes or home depot?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#26]
These are some of the most insanely complex instructions I've ever heard for a "russian red" mixture. All you need is amber shellac, denatured alcohol(or 90%rubbing alcohol)and a bottle of iodine. If it were as complicated as described above, the # of Russian weapons with this colorization would be in the hundreds, not the millions!
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 10mm4ever:
These are some of the most insanely complex instructions I've ever heard for a "russian red" mixture. All you need is amber shellac, denatured alcohol(or 90%rubbing alcohol)and a bottle of iodine. If it were as complicated as described above, the # of Russian weapons with this colorization would be in the hundreds, not the millions!

+1   I really don't know where this "Russian Red" stock color came from. I have never seen a Russian stock that really had any red in it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#28]
The Russkies have used amber shellac for a LONG time. Certain arsenals may have adjusted the tint with iodine and used alcohol to thin the mixture somewhat. Who comes up with these outlandish "secret stain recipes" is beyond me,lol!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#29]
The Russkies have used amber shellac for a LONG time. Certain arsenals may have adjusted the tint with iodine and used alcohol to thin the mixture somewhat. Who comes up with these outlandish "secret stain recipes" is beyond me,lol!!

+1
A friend of mine tells me they used pine tar and amber shellac. When I get the chance I'm gonna refinish a Romanian set with the iodine and shellac method and see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Troubledjoe:

+1
A friend of mine tells me they used pine tar and amber shellac. When I get the chance I'm gonna refinish a Romanian set with the iodine and shellac method and see how it turns out.

Post picks I am wondering what it looks like
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry I didn't see your request for a pic until just now. This is a pic of a Mosin stock that Candyman from the Surplusrifleforum finished. All credit for the pic goes to him. I think this finish is pretty right on the money, and would look great on an laminate AK stock.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#32]
That is a beautiful pick.  Tell us how you did that, you just soaked it in iodine and then shellac
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't do it, a friend of mine did. He applied pine tar first then the amber shellac. I can find out the specifics.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't do it, a friend of mine did. He applied pine tar first then the amber shellac. I can find out the specifics.

Keep us up dated
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone have a step by step for the iodine method?

I'm testing iodine on some scrap would and its not staining it much at all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 2:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#36]
The real Russian finish is a finish/stain mix of Amber Shellac and a reddish stain.
It's also an easy finish to do.

Step one is to buy some Amber Shellac.
You can buy it ready to use in cans at woodworker supply houses, and some local stores like Lowe's.
OR, you can buy flaked Amber Shellac and mix your own "cut" with denatured alcohol.

Note that Shellac has a definite shelf life.  
The canned types may be treated to keep for up to 3 years, but the normal shelf life is about 6 months, which is why most people who use Shellac buy the flaked type and mix up what they need each time.
Mixing is easy, basically pour the correct amount of alcohol in a container and add the measured amount of Shellac and let stand.

Once you have the Amber Shellac, mix in iodine to a 4 parts iodine to 8 parts Amber Shellac mix.  You may need to add more alcohol to get a thinner "cut" or mix.  You really can't have it too thin, but you can have it too thick.  About the only way to screw up Shellac is to use it too thick.  Thin coats adhere better.

After getting a good mix of iodine and Shellac, simply brush on a thin coat and let dry.  (Shellac dries fast, 1 hour or less).
Continue brushing on thin coats until you get the depth of color you want.
For fine furniture type finishes you lightly sand between coats. For military look AK wood you don't.

Russian Red wood ranges from a light dirty orange to a red-orange, to a deep, dark almost Burgundy red.  Just continue brushing on thin coats until you have the color you like.  Remember, photos of AK wood tend to look a lot redder and brighter then they really are.

Shellac is a bright gloss.  If you want less gloss, they sell "flattener's that are added to the Shellac that reduce the gloss, or you can rub it out with 0000 steel wool to flatten the gloss.

Here's a good article on how to work with Shellac:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2009/07/02/shellac.aspx

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]
McCormics red food coloring........................6 coats of Minwax Poly
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/jrken1/AK47.jpg
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#38]
What kind of iodine do I need? The most I can find around here is 10%.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By tx318:

+1

Post picks I am wondering what it looks like

+1 for Pine Tar and shellac.  You'll want to mix the desired stain (red) with the shellac and apply it over the pine tar once it's dried.  Here's what it can look like.This is a set I did.

Pine Tar Process
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 7:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinatra] [#40]
More pics of the pine tar treated furniture on my SAR 3.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought a WASR with some tight grain on the foregrip and a Tapco folder (ACE folder is on the way) and I refinished the wood by sanding it down, then using Minwax "Sedona Red 222" and clear/transparent Shellac.  It came out better than I expected and wasn't a 3 day project.

Before:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/TK4063/Weapons/Personal%20Firearms/100_2031.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/TK4063/Weapons/Personal%20Firearms/100_2035.jpg

After:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/TK4063/Weapons/Personal%20Firearms/100_2042.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/TK4063/Weapons/Personal%20Firearms/100_2039.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 8:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: syclone0252] [#42]
what is pine tar? is it pine tar oil? where do I get it? I want to try this.

I painted and clearcoated mine black but I want to try Russian red I think.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:16:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nsz] [#43]
I have a video series that shows you how to prep, fit, strip, stain, and finish your AK stock from start to finish with a deep, dark "Russian Red" finish. Please see the following videos. Any questions? PM here or on YouTube. Thanks!

Part 1 - Intro/What To Expect
Part 2 - Getting Everything To Fit
Part 3 - Difficult Upper Hand Guard Removal
Part 4 - Stripping & Bleaching The Old Finish Off
Part 5 - Refinishing Old Metal Hardware
Part 6 - Staining & Creating The Custom Russian Red Finish
Part 7 - Applying The Custom Russian Red Finish
Part 8 - Final Steps & The Completed Rifle

- nsz
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#44]
WOW, excellent! great vids, i watched all of them, and that too is just the color I am wanting, now to figure out the best way to remove the auto touchup paint from my stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#45]
what's the purpose of bleaching the wood?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By syclone0252:
what's the purpose of bleaching the wood?

To get all of the oil and stain out of the wood so it will stain better
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome job nsz!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By jat428:
Awesome job nsz!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 7:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: itsall_cooool] [#49]
Originally Posted By Kujo:
I have a WASR id like to refinish but have never refinished anything so sorry for the beginner questions.

Is the purpose of these steps originality? can you not get a similar style stain and sealant at say, lowes or home depot?

I ordered a wood furniture set for CA WASR10 including foregrip (9.99 plus 9.99 shipping at centerfiresystems.com/, part # STKAKA12 1 ), removed finish and stain, sanded smooth as described in OP. I then stained with Rustoleum product 'Ultimate Stain', color 'Cabernet', and finished with several light coats of Rustoleum product 'Ulimate Polyurethane' soft touch matte finish, both purchased at Lowes.
 I stained 2-3 times with light buffing using 0000 steel wool between coats (stain or any moisture raises grain) until saturation/color was as desired. I then applied 6 coats of poly, allowing to dry, then buff to allow next coat to adhere. The last coat gets no buffing. I preferred the satin coat as it will not become slippery when wet, it has a nice feel and look. Note: I only used the foregrip furniture and red colored pistol grip from the 3 piece set. The set does not include the gas tube furniture or hardware: I used my existing hardware with no problems.
https://photos-6.dropbox.com/i/l/VjDAitxeFOEVG9SO2d31-svOzujVldZSxAECv0TWiOw/25087504/1337904000/e7471e3/2012-05-03%2010.55.38.jpg#6
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I was exploring the site today and came across this stock refinishing post and noticed the original post mentions "heating varnish to 150 - 180 degrees".  I 've been in the coating business (aka paint business) for 24 years to my knowledge spar varnishes are solvent based and should never be exposed to an open flame nor heated.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Red Stain Formulas (Page 1 of 2)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top