Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Red Stain Formulas (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Kujo:
I have a WASR id like to refinish but have never refinished anything so sorry for the beginner questions.

Is the purpose of these steps originality? can you not get a similar style stain and sealant at say, lowes or home depot?

You can. Most won't get this red without the dye. Poly-based stains, like Minwax, give a good gloss, but can melt when the handguards get smokin hot. I've seen it happen.

I used red mahoganny Watco Danish oil and wet sanded. Inbetween the 1st and 2nd coats, I wanted it more red, so I used red food coloring, sanded, added several more layers of the Danish oil over a few days. No gloss, but I didn't want shine. The Danish oil seals the wood completely. Be careful though, the used rags can spontaneously combust if not allowed to air or if placed in a closed trash can, etc.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you really have to soak the wood for 24 hours in acetone? I have had my pieces in for 12 hours now in the acetone bath and the acetone is brown as can be and the pieces look very well stripped. I am just wondering if anyone can give any info on this.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter_Mc_Gavin] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Is there a reason (other then impatience ) that you think 24 hours would be too long?          
View Quote

Well I just pulled all the pieces out of a 12 hour bath, and they were just as white (stripped) as video's I watched. It is in bleach bath now, but Acetone is a heavy duty chemical like stripper...I couldn't imagine it taking 24 hours to do its full effect.

This is just a couple of hours in bleach, and I haven't sanded it yet. The stock on the left came unfinished the one on the right was finished.....just wondering if anyone actually tried different times/technique. I mean this was about 12 hours of acetone and 3 of bleach maybe, I will do a good sand and clean once it dries and start the minwax and just update page, if it cuts out a whole day an half from the process and yields same result no reason not to update the formula.

Just making a video to show progress as I go.......adding on to the video as I go.

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter_Mc_Gavin] [#6]
delete updating other post.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I just used Cabot "Red Oak" stain and it came out nice. very red but you can still see the grain in the wood.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 7point62:
i used food coloring! it only costs about $3 for a multi pack red, yellow ,blue, and green.
mix with some rubbing alcohol
you can do just about any color, mix till you like.  

http://www.funnypracticaljokes.com/images/chapters/foodcoloring.jpg
View Quote

Me too, combined with Danish oil. Turned out just like I wanted.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]

The redder the better.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My method is:

Use gas to remove cosmo
Wood stripper to remove any trace of oils
Wash with water
Wood bleach
Sand lightly
Than RED food coloring ....... cheap, works GREAT, and cleans up with water. Let this dry than wipe off excess with a damp rag.
Sand  and start using Min Wax poly , sand lightly between coats then

0000 steel wool, wipe clean with alcohol damp rag before new coat
of poly.

The more coats the deeper the  3D affect.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Red Stain Formulas (Page 2 of 2)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top