Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2023 11:10:42 PM EDT
I have a Romanian WASR 10/63 that had its bayonet lug neutered for import. I see Romanian gas blocks with the lug intact are common and inexpensive. If I were to purchase one of those gas blocks, would the pin holes line up with my barrel, or is the spacing unique to each barrel/block combo like an AR?

I do have a press and would be able to swap the blocks, but if the old pin slots were to need welding and turning, that would be beyond my abilities.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I'll give this one a shot, but it's kind of complicated...

The best way to see if the holes will line up is to take the old gas block and compare it directly to the new one by taking 2 very long pins (I used drill bits in the past) and putting them through both gas blocks side by side at the same time.

That way you can see if they are in exact alignment r.e. pin hole width and drilled hole angle. If the pins are the exact same width apart AND have no angle to the drilled hole, the blocks should both able to slide onto the pins at the same time without any real resistance, and then you are halfway there...

If they don't slide onto the same long pins (which they usually won't) at the same time, then the blocks were drilled at an angle (not uncommon), or they are drilled for the pins at different widths (very common, especially with Romanian stuff) and you stop there...

If all of those tests DO pass, then replacing the gas block is likely to be successful, but I have also seen original barrels that do not have the barrel pin divots bored deep enough to accommodate a re-pinning and you just wind up smashing and bending the pins. That doesn't just happen on Romy stuff, but also on East German, Yugos, and Polish ones, just to name a few...

Really the best bet (IMO) is to have someone TIG/MIG weld the gas block and file and fit the the lug in place to replicate and unmolested lug...

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you want the look or the function?  Because there's ways to build up welds or weld material on to replicate a bayonet lug.

Frankly I'd sooner get a virgin gas block with lug and drill it on you barrel then even try for sloppy seconds with a take of GB
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input, sounds like I shouldn't mess with it. I do like the idea of building up weld and shaping it, maybe I'll give that a try some time.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top