BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/2/2023 7:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN]
What would be a better setup with a 16" barrel?

I have a 18 inch barrel and looking at using it for either an ARM or SAR build. Thinking keeping it 18 would be too long.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
SAR is the coolest setup, but only with the correct 13" barrel.  Some folks pin and weld a muzzle device to hit 16" on those.
ARM would look better with a 16" barrel plus the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
SAR is the coolest setup, but only with the correct 13" barrel.  Some folks pin and weld a muzzle device to hit 16" on those.
ARM would look better with a 16" barrel plus the muzzle device.
View Quote

What about as far as recoil and functioning?

I got two SAR kits and 1 ARM and 3 18 inch barrels. Not sure what all to do with them. Was thinking of also doing a 14.5 SAR and pin and weld the FH to get to 16.

I'll get the barrels cut to whatever length needed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure there's a formula or chart out there to say for a 5.56 AK with a 16" barrel and the gas port is X distance from the chamber, the gas port should be Y diameter.
The kit will determine how far down the barrel the gas port will be.  Then you make the hole the right size and the gun should work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
SAR with a 13" barrel and an extended flash hider.
View Quote

I've already got a 13" SAR SBR. Might build a second, but not sure if it's worth it. Looking for something different. Or maybe a 14.5 PW ARM
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#6]
Did the Galil AR come with a 16 or 18 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If you already have a SAR 13”, go for a traditional 18” ARM
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By themao:
If you already have a SAR 13”, go for a traditional 18” ARM
View Quote

So the apex parts kit is labeled ARM but looks like everything but gasblock are for a AR. Everything is in good shape and either NOS or been refinished. Not sure it's worth the extra $200. Now I get to find a bipod, handguards and retainer.

Not gonna lie 18 does seem like it'd be fun to have at the range, but just seems too much for operating operationally while I practice clearing my house while watching red dawn.

Not 100% on anything right now. Might move the thread/poll to GD and let them make up my mind
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If you already have a 13" SAR, I'd go 18" ARM on the next one. That's what I'm doing anyways.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Both actually.  I like the 16 inch barrel on the galil. Makes for a good / handy accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AKR:

Both actually.  I like the 16 inch barrel on the galil. Makes for a good / handy accurate rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKR:

I believe the 18in ARs were actually AR-Ms. I had one and bought the the parts to convert it to an ARM.

Brother had 16in AR. Really liked it
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tstorms:

I believe the 18in ARs were actually AR-Ms. I had one and bought the the parts to convert it to an ARM.

Brother had 16in AR. Really liked it
View Quote

Magnum Research (first importer) imported full factory Galil ARMs and ARs with 18" barrels.  Action Arms (2nd importer) imported full factory Galil ARMs and ARs with 16" barrels.  There may have been some AA imports with 18" barrels as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The ARM was the first centerfire rifle I ever fired in my life, it is therefore, the best
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#15]
So guess I'll take your advice and do an 18" ARM. I can always cut the barrel down later.

I've also decided to try and build it myself.

What size drill bits are needed?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 9:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#16]
So I finished the ARM, and looking at moving on to a 15" PW . It looks like a 14.5" would be too short so will need to be 15". FH looks like it will only add another 1"ish

Gonna use one of the ATI discounted receivers at Atlantic. Hope I don't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
So I finished the ARM, and looking at moving on to a 15" PW . It looks like a 14.5" would be too short so will need to be 15". FH looks like it will only add another 1"ish

Gonna use one of the ATI discounted receivers at Atlantic. Hope I don't regret it.
View Quote

How did the build go? How did you adjust the headspace? Any issues you ran into?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:17:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#18]

How did the build go? How did you adjust the headspace? Any issues you ran into?
View Quote

It took 6 months lol took my time and measured 87 times. No real issues on the build itself, just getting parts that I wanted. I have a no go guage and used a case with a couple of pieces of tape on the back for a go guage. I just used flitz and lapped the lug( just the left) to fit. It shoots and cycles, so guess it's good to go.

I used tothtools to put it together. Long rivet tool for the bullet guide, trigger guard rivet tool, barrel population tool for the gas block stacked some 9/16 washers, and used a cclamp and two ball bearings for the catch pin. Passed on cutting the extractor cut.

Followed the Envocotus(?) YT vids.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top