Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2024 7:06:49 PM EDT
Inspired by what I think is a Hillbilly Galil build???

Here is my SAR with Galil carry handle
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Need to do a little more clean up grinding and then paint where I ground down the bipod bracket

I still have the original HG and bracket if I need to switch back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorta want

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
Sorta want
View Quote

definitely need if you add the bipod as you suggested in your other thread.

Now I really want a bayonet lug...
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Sorta want

Ya wish ATI used the bayonet gasblocks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

The more I read about the Galil, it seems most SARs didn't have the bayonet lug.  Only certain contracts did...  But seeing ones with vs without makes me want one. Then again NO, NONE, absolutely ZERO SARs come with a carry handle, and I just went and added one so...

It would be simple as removing the gas block and sliding on the one APEX sells, but just how simple of a process is removing a gas block?  And is it worth the trouble.

Adding a carry handle was simple and easily reversible by retaining the original parts, though I doubt I ever will...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the carry handle get in the way when you are shooting?  It looks like it blocks part of the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By agriebel:
Does the carry handle get in the way when you are shooting?  It looks like it blocks part of the handguard.
View Quote

No it does not get in the way IMO
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobalt-60] [#7]

The more I read about the Galil, it seems most SARs didn't have the bayonet lug.  Only certain contracts did...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The more I read about the Galil, it seems most SARs didn't have the bayonet lug.  Only certain contracts did...

Mine came with a bayonet lug and it was a military kit, is that weird?

EDT: That's a legit question. I have absolutely zero knowledge on the bayonet lugs on SARs. I just remember IDF markings on my original torch cut receiver and it also having a bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
not weird at all.  I actually have one of those bayonet lugs, just trying to justify the labor it would take to install it.  There are also some versions that have the lug attached to the FSB.  I think it depends of where the rifle was sold to that determined the bayonet lung or not.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I need to get better pics of my SAR, but lug is where it's at

pretty sure I have an extra like mine floating around in my parts bin....
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By nictra:

https://i.imgur.com/4oliqoW.jpg?1

View Quote

That's an interesting MAR/SAR hybrid. Is that a dressed up ACE? What's the story there?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup ACE that's had the plastic removed, "proper" mag release installed, and the HG replaced.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#12]

https://i.imgur.com/4oliqoW.jpg?1

View Quote

Those look great.  It bothers me that I don't have the bayonet lug installed on mine.  I know I will eventually put mine on, but I am content for now.

What is the significance of the green band?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
The Israelis use them on their M16s, I use it because the front HG like it seems all Galils are, is kind of loose. It keeps it in place.

I just looked on Apex, amd they have the bayo lugs in stock that fit between the front site and the HG
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The Israelis use them on their M16s, I use it because the front HG like it seems all Galils are, is kind of loose. It keeps it in place.

I just looked on Apex, amd they have the bayo lugs in stock that fit between the front site and the HG
View Quote

Good deal, that's what I figured.  I have a few of those lugs that I ordered from APEX.  I wish they went on in front of the FSB instead of behind...
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I've built plenty of AKs, but never did a Galil. I sent this SAR kit out to be built. I'd imagine those blocks are on pretty tight, but don't really know for sure 1st hand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I've built plenty of AKs, but never did a Galil. I sent this SAR kit out to be built. I'd imagine those blocks are on pretty tight, but don't really know for sure 1st hand.
View Quote

I imagine it is simple enough for someone with the proper tools.  Simply press off and press on.  No drilling required and just line up the original hole for the pins on FSB then one extra pin for the lug.

If you have the tools and know how to press in an AK barrel, then I imagine you could press off a FSB.

But I don't own the tools nor do I have access to them for a gun build.  Maybe one day.  So I would be forced to send it off and I just can't justify that for a bayonet lug.

Now "IF" I start having issues with the gun and need to send it off for repair, then I'll be sure to add the lug as part of the work order
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top