Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2023 7:02:29 PM EDT
So is this doable? I'm building an ARM and mocked up the gasblock with a SAR gastube and magazine installed and it looked like it should work. They only issue I could see is trying to change a magazine with the bipod folded, but looks like it might not be that bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea but please try it for science.

Science and if it works I want to copy you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
So all things being equal, I would be concerned about the size of the gas hole etc. but if that does not matter and I am over-thinking this then have at it!  I admit I am just thinking out loud after a few cold ones so YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
So is this doable?
View Quote

Sounds stupid... and no.

The gas system on a SAR is not the same length as an AR or ARM.

You would need to cut the feet off and shorten the bipod legs into nubs and then re-weld the feet.

At that point, your shortened bipod legs would be about the same length as a standard magazine.

Even the 16 inch "ARMs" were improper, and foolish... a 13.1 inch "ARM" would be total clown shoes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:50:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kalashnikev101:

Sounds stupid... and no.

The gas system on a SAR is not the same length as an AR or ARM.

You would need to cut the feet off and shorten the bipod legs into nubs and then re-weld the feet.

At that point, your shortened bipod legs would be about the same length as a standard magazine.

Even the 16 inch "ARMs" were improper, and foolish... a 13.1 inch "ARM" would be total clown shoes.
View Quote

Ya I know about the gas system, I would just be changing out the gas block.
It looks like there is a little bit over an inch difference between the two gas tubes. I haven't measures but looks like there is over that between the magazine and bipod legs on an ARM

My next option was cutting a barrel down to 15" then P&W the FH to 16" on a SAR kit.

Right now I got a 13.1 SAR SBR and 18" ARM. Looking for something more unique. Have two SAR kits I'm not sure what to do with. Might just sell them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Ya I know about the gas system, I would just be changing out the gas block.
It looks like there is a little bit over an inch difference between the two gas tubes. I haven't measures but looks like there is over that between the magazine and bipod legs on an ARM

My next option was cutting a barrel down to 15" then P&W the FH to 16" on a SAR kit.

Right now I got a 13.1 SAR SBR and 18" ARM. Looking for something more unique. Have two SAR kits I'm not sure what to do with. Might just sell them.
View Quote

Probably the legs would still be a touch longer than the mag, but still not useful. There is a pic out there of a short gas FAL with chopped legs that I tried to find that was similar.

In much the same way- FAL kits were plentiful 20 years ago, and many got built into wacky configurations. I still have the parts for a "2XTM 9mm Suomi FAL" buried somewhere in my storage, but I'm SO glad I didn't do that.

There is no reason to harm the SAR kit like that- simply build out a proper SAR.

Regarding the state of your collection- a Galil AR-type is the obvious choice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Out of genuine curiousity, why would you want to go with a shorter barrel but add the weight and bulk of a bipod?  Are you thinking about doing the quick detach bipod?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

The same reason people put one on 16" ARs. It would be a SAR gas system on a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
To use the bipod you have to use the ARM gasblock… the relation of the barrel shoulder to the point that the gas tube mounts is NOT the same between the ARM gasblock and the SAR gasblock, so you can’t switch them between barrels and just switch the gas tube. The shoulder on the barrel needs to be cut custom along with the gasports being located in a custom spot. Also, the bipod does need to be cut shorter, but it’s super easy to do and reweld as the legs are hollow. If anyone wants to post a picture, hit me up and I’ll show you what one looks like.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OCTAVIOUS] [#10]

Does look shorter on hillbillies
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OCTAVIOUS:
http://i.imgur.com/0Hhx0beh.jpg

View Quote

reading this thread I see how the bipod could be kewl, but now after seeing your pictures, I really want the carry handle on my SAR

Anybody know where to find the parts for that?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

reading this thread I see how the bipod could be kewl, but now after seeing your pictures, I really want the carry handle on my SAR

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
Originally Posted By OCTAVIOUS:
http://i.imgur.com/0Hhx0beh.jpg

Galil hub or gunbroker, or might find one on apex or some site like that if you want to wait.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Galil hub or gunbroker, or might find one on apex or some site like that if you want to wait.
View Quote

found one on GB for $130.  Looks like I can grind off the bi-pod holder portion and paint, then modify the HG to fit with the CH portion and should be GTG.

I'll post some pics when I get it done
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top